Eheim 2213 vs. 2232
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
newpatch36
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Eheim 2213 vs. 2232

Hi All,

I'm looking into getting a canister filter for my planted 10G. It might be a bit overkill, but from what I've read with the Eheim canisters I should be able to adjust the flow appropriately, plus I have plans for a larger tank in the future so I don't mind investing in the canister now. This will be my first canister filter.

I've narrowed down my options to the 2213 and the 2232, and I've got a couple questions about both.

• Is the 2232 worth it for the extra money?

• Does the self priming action on the 2232 actually work?

• How much of a hassle is it to prime the 2213?

• Seems like the intake/output design on the 2213 is better with the intake at the top and output at the bottom of the filter water would be forced to pass through all the filter media, whereas with the 2232 both intake and output are positioned at the top and it seems the water could pretty easily bypass the filter media. Am I missing something here?
Thanks for your input!

Best,
Nic
newpatch36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
t0p_sh0tta
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Both are suitable for a 10g tank. I tried a 2232 on my 10g and was disappointed in the amount of flow it provided. It did a great job of filtering the water, but don't expect much oomph out of it.

I went with the 2213, which is also cheaper, and it's great.

The one advantage that the Ecco has is the individual media baskets. The 2213 uses a basket to house the filter media, but it doesn't have a partition between the different layers (just like the larger classics). This isn't a problem, but makes cleaning slightly more labor intensive.
t0p_sh0tta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Just forget about the 2232. The classic is a much better filter IMO. I have 5 of them. Priming a classic is no big deal because of the intake/outflow design and the pump strength. I believe with my classics, the first time I set them up I just filled the canister with tank water and plugged the filter in and it created enough suction to do the rest. You might have to dump a little water in the intake/outflow tube to get it started the FIRST time though. Since they have the double quick disconnects after the first priming its no sweat to get it going again. Since you have the water in the tubing anyway all you need to do after maintenance is open the disconnects simultaneously and it should start the siphon for you and fill the canister.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Also, if you have a shop vac handy, priming is a snap. Just put the outflow tube into the end of the shop vac and cover the rest of the space with your hand to get super vacuum action... and presto. No fish water in ya mouf!

My tank journals 65 Gallon Long & 33 gal
non_compliance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by non_compliance View Post
No fish water in ya mouf!
Lol... I've had fish water in my mouth.....
justin182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
mott
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I think we all had fish water in the mouth at least onec
I agree with bsmith the classic is the better choice, I had a 2232 on my mini m and it was just enough flow. The one thing is when priming the first time the easiest way to do so is to make sure the can and hoses are completly empty of water, position the intake, make sure the quick disconnects are open all the way then just suck on the output until physics take over, when the can is full of water start her up! Simple...

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by non_compliance View Post
Also, if you have a shop vac handy, priming is a snap. Just put the outflow tube into the end of the shop vac and cover the rest of the space with your hand to get super vacuum action... and presto. No fish water in ya mouf!
Great idea!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
newpatch36
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll probably go with the classic, given your input. I am still curious about this part of the question though :
  • Seems like the intake/output design on the 2213 is better with the intake at the top and output at the bottom of the filter - water would be forced to pass through all the filter media. Whereas with the 2232 both intake and output are positioned at the top and it seems the water could pretty easily bypass the filter media. Am I missing something here?
Anybody got any thoughts there?

Thanks
newpatch36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
mott
Planted Tank Guru

Actually the input is at the bottom of the 2213 and the out is at the top, yes this is a well proven design, altho the new 2213's come with a basket and I believe have some bypass.
The new ecco pros are better designed than the older eccos, with the new design I don't see much bypass
But I believe are hard to find in the US.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I really like the design on the 2213. The physics work great, and it certainly has enough power to get the job done. I have it on my 29g, where it certainly does NOT provide enough flow for a heavily planted tank, but it filters the water beautifully. Powerheads are my friend

I can't comment on the 2232, because I've never tampered with one. If it's anything like my Rapids Minis (poor comparison, I know), it's intake and outtake are separated by chambers. The water will go in through the intake chamber, get pushed down through the media to the bottom where there are grates, then get pushed back up through the outtake chamber and back into the tank. So all the water should get pushed evenly through all the medias just fine. Not sure if that made any sense, because I have it pictured in my mind.

It would seem to me that the physics of a straight up jet of water would be more efficient on the filter's motor than making it curve all over the place, thus delivering more power, but without tampering and comparing similarly powered canisters, my comments are purely speculative. It's not moving that much water around, so the difference should be minor, if there is one at all.

All I can really say is that I'm very happy with my 2213. It does a marvelous job, and I can't justify spending more money on something if the cheaper model works just fine.

Last edited by Captivate05; 01-06-2011 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: stupid typo
Captivate05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by newpatch36 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll probably go with the classic, given your input. I am still curious about this part of the question though :
  • Seems like the intake/output design on the 2213 is better with the intake at the top and output at the bottom of the filter - water would be forced to pass through all the filter media. Whereas with the 2232 both intake and output are positioned at the top and it seems the water could pretty easily bypass the filter media. Am I missing something here?
Anybody got any thoughts there?

Thanks
It just means that the water will have to travel through all the media from bottom to top and that there is nothing for the water to bypass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
Actually the input is at the bottom of the 2213 and the out is at the top, yes this is a well proven design, altho the new 2213's come with a basket and I believe have some bypass.
The new ecco pros are better designed than the older eccos, with the new design I don't see much bypass
But I believe are hard to find in the US.
You can always just take the basket out and use it like an old one but the basket rests tightly against the filter body and would not allow bypass from the sides. If thats what you meant.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
mott
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
It just means that the water will have to travel through all the media from bottom to top and that there is nothing for the water to bypass.

You can always just take the basket out and use it like an old one but the basket rests tightly against the filter body and would not allow bypass from the sides. If thats what you meant.
Honestly I don't know for sure if there is any bypass I'm just going off of what others have said, I remember when they started using baskets in the 2213 people were taking them out and modding them to be like the basketless 2213's.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #13
calfish64
Algae Grower

PTrader: (34/100%)

I actually like my ecco's much better than the classic ones.The ecco filters I saw recently on sale at my local petsmarts are all the pro models with improvment over the bypass issues in previous design.

My problem with my classic (an old 2211) is that I just cannot prime it well. I also have problem seating the top and clips well so it sometimes ended up slowing leaking from the top. It is so bad that I tried to avoid cleaning the filter. The eccos I have (a 2232 and 2234) are quiet and super easy to start! The handle might look funny but it actually works. I can even say I enjoy opening it up, cleaning the filter and putting it back to work! They also came with basket and media. The ecco filters do have lower fated flow so you have to go for a bigger one if the filter is the only device to generate flow.

Another thing I want to point out is that all the new classic filters are made in China these days but the ecco line is still made in Germany. I am sure this should not matter as the quality control should be good in either place.
calfish64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #14
i'm a ninja
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I haven't had any experience with the eccos, but I love both of my classics. If you aren't planning on using a powerhead for additional circulation I would recommend that you step up to the 2215, I felt that the 2213 did not provide quite enough flow in my 10 gallon.
i'm a ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
RickRS
Planted Member

I've got both the classic 2213 and the ecco 2236 this past year and they are both great. Self prime work well with the ecco, but I really didn't have any issues with the classic, it's a snap to prime with a little suction. And just so you know, the eheims come with disconnect fittings that have shutoff valves. Once you'll primed the classic, you hold the prime in the tubing by closing the valves when you disconnect to clean, etc., and then when you reconnect and open the valves the canister will refill without needing to re-prime if it lower than the tank (where Eheim tells you to place the filters). At least mine does, every time.

A second and third thought; the canister volume for a 2213 is almost twice that of the 2232 (0.8 vs. 0.4 liters); classic come with a spray bar, ecco come with a simple swivel tube opening.
RickRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.