Aquatop cf-500uv 5/8 to 1/2?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-27-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
Beelzebubbles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aquatop cf-500uv 5/8 to 1/2?

So I'm really kicking myself right now. I'm getting 60 tank in the coming weeks and trying to plan out all my equipment purchases.

I currently have an eheim 2213 with inline atomizer, inline heater and cal aqua lily pipes. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy all these things again for the 60....

I want to know if I step down the hose from 5/8 to 1/2 if I will burn out the filter or lose too much flow?

Alternatively, Is there another you could recommend with 1/2 (id) hose?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Several questions but a couple that are simple. There is no need to worry about burning out the motor. Burnout is not a factor on this type motor as there are no wires on the part that moves, only the magnet. As it is setting in water, melting the magnet is not going to happen.
The smaller tubing will decrease the flow and the flow is not really very high for that size tank. I assume you mean 60 gallon? I would favor a 2217 for over 55 gallon.
Is this reduced flow too much and going to be a problem? Depends on what you have in the tank as all tanks are different. I judge how much filter I need by looking at what happens. How much flow the filter needs can be determined by watching the tank. If debris is being removed so the water looks right and all ammonia is being taken care of by the filter, low flow may be fine. If more water movement is needed to carry debris to the filter or CO2 around to the plants, I find a couple small powerheads are much easier to buy and easier to set to do the job. They are also much less work to keep running.
In your case, I would try it as the filter is on hand and adjust if needed. There is no magic number for flow on all tanks. Any problems you see may require adjustment but that is one of the constants with any tank setup.

When lost and uncertain where you are, try standing still until you get more information. Works for tanks as well as hiking! Enjoy the trip!!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Beelzebubbles
Algae Grower

Thanks rich, I was considering the 2217 because it does use 1/2 outflow tubes.

But the aquatop has twice the GPH, it's cheaper and has a built UV sterilizer. I guess there is no real way to determine how much flow I'd sacrifice with smaller outflow tube, but even if it's half, I think the uv is a huge selling point.

Reason I'm leaning toward the aquatop right now is cause I have the 2213 on my 29 gal and I find the flow to be a little weak.

And yea, it's going to be a 60 gallon 36x20x20

Old 07-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Something that is missed on reducing the tubing size is what we get with some reducers. Going down from 5/8 to 1/2 doesn't sound like much until we look inside the reducer. Take a 5/8 tube and add a fitting inside to reduce it to 1/2 and the hole through the fitting is really quite a lot smaller than 5/8! Take a 5/8 and figure in maybe 1/8 inch of plastic fitting on each side of the hole and things get tight pretty quick? If the fitting is 1/8 thick (guessing there???) the hole may go down to 3/8. Do the same figures on the 1/2 side and things get ugly. Think of running traffic from 5 lanes down to three and you can see there is lots of restriction. If we had fittings that took up none of the space 5/8 to 1/2 might not hurt too much but if it goes 5/8 to 3/8, ouch!
I love the Eheims but high flow is NOT one of their strong points. But then I also tried a Cascade at one point and was glad to be rid of it when sold. Damn thing just felt and acted cheap! The flow would drop really quick so that I wound up cleaning it much more often. I'm not sold at this point on UV for tanks. I did some hiking and had a UV to neuter the bugs and it required a pretty long dwell time so that the critters were given a lethal dose. Does a tank UV with a fairly weak bulb and short exposure time get the job done? Still undecided for me as I don't have the need so far. As in all things, those who have them love them but those who don't are skeptical?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Beelzebubbles
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Something that is missed on reducing the tubing size is what we get with some reducers. Going down from 5/8 to 1/2 doesn't sound like much until we look inside the reducer. Take a 5/8 tube and add a fitting inside to reduce it to 1/2 and the hole through the fitting is really quite a lot smaller than 5/8! Take a 5/8 and figure in maybe 1/8 inch of plastic fitting on each side of the hole and things get tight pretty quick? If the fitting is 1/8 thick (guessing there???) the hole may go down to 3/8. Do the same figures on the 1/2 side and things get ugly. Think of running traffic from 5 lanes down to three and you can see there is lots of restriction. If we had fittings that took up none of the space 5/8 to 1/2 might not hurt too much but if it goes 5/8 to 3/8, ouch!
I love the Eheims but high flow is NOT one of their strong points. But then I also tried a Cascade at one point and was glad to be rid of it when sold. Damn thing just felt and acted cheap! The flow would drop really quick so that I wound up cleaning it much more often. I'm not sold at this point on UV for tanks. I did some hiking and had a UV to neuter the bugs and it required a pretty long dwell time so that the critters were given a lethal dose. Does a tank UV with a fairly weak bulb and short exposure time get the job done? Still undecided for me as I don't have the need so far. As in all, those who have them love them but those who don't are skeptical?
Thanks again, you surely gave me a lot to think about here (as if I havent been going crazy enough on picking a filter lol)

I have some friends who have used UV with good success, but I guess that can be considered cheating the proper balance in the system?

I'm trying to go for a really clean setup, otherwise I wouldn't mind putting in some powerheads. I have a hydor in my 29 right now and it seems to be doing a good enough job, but now it makes all my inline gear redundant haha

I guess I'll just spend a little extra on the gear again but learn from my mistake of not ordering from Amazon :/

Old 07-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

The plumbing reducer part is an easy one to figure once you get one in hand and try to look through. You start with a 5/8 tube and suddenly it gets down to a size that a pencil won't fit????
The rest is still an open debate.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 AM   #7
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

For my 50g breeder I have tried both 2213 and the 2217. The 2217 Is just enough. For you id use spraybars for additional water movement (not flow).

As for your concerns of reducing flow im not certain at all. I wish I can help you there, you may have to do your own experiment.

Look at my latest (well old) build thread. I used a UV but didn't want to sacrifice flow. So I put a bypass in so that if I want to use UV I can (and it will slow the flow down) and if the valve is off then I will have full flow.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=186195&page=3
Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 AM   #8
Beelzebubbles
Algae Grower

Very cool! So you don't suggest I use a lily pipe on a tank that large? Even if I buy larger ones?

My main concern in the aesthetics of the tank. It's going to be in my living room and would like it to be a display piece. I just love the look of the glass pipes, especially on a rimless aquarium. But I'm splitting hairs at this point but I'm OCD when it comes to how things look. Lol

I appreciate your help guys. I think I'm going to go with the aquatop. Hopefully I can recuperate some of my money back and sell my 1/2 inline gear with the 2213

Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #9
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

lilly pipe is nice, but I just don't know with the flow of the EHEIM.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
Beelzebubbles
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
lilly pipe is nice, but I just don't know with the flow of the EHEIM.
Yea, it's been on my mind a lot. Could you recommend a more powerful filter? I've had a look at the fx6 but I don't know if the ribbed hose can be switched out.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

U can use a jet nozsle that will help with circulation but not flow. I had a rena before this and it pushed way more than the eheim. But this eheim is so quiet.

Maybe a 2217 would be good enough for you. I been out of the canister filter research for a while. So I dont even know whats a good contender at the momentm