new eheim ecco 2234
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
adamfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

new eheim ecco 2234

Have been reading about this filter, since I just picked one up for $199.99 to supplement my fluval c3. Aqadvisor said I need more filtration so that's why I got one.

But some reviews have said that the flow rate gets greatly decreased over time, anyone else here experience this? The flow rate does seem a little low for a filter this size, only 145gph I believe.

Should I have gotten the fluval 306, it's flow rate is something like 300. But way more reviews saying it either leaked or broke.
adamfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
rick dale
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default eheim

You will probably be better off going to numerous sites and reading the reviews than asking people on this site. Too many that use eheim and have never tried anything else.
On this site.
rick dale is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
psych
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Flow rates on all filters will decline over time as the filter pads, tubing, and other moving parts get clogged with grime.

I've read reviews, seen posts here, and experienced first hand where even after people clean everything there's still the perception that flow rate is slower. I've never tested it so I can't comment whether it's just my perception or if there's some truth to it.

Since you already have the filter and chose it for a reason in the first place my best suggestion would be to use it. If you find flow is significantly slower than you want/need sell it on or return it.

I also read where the Fluvals leaked or broke and this is why I chose my Eheim, but for every review that says it breaks there are plenty more units that work perfectly. You can't go wrong with either brand these days.
psych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
adamfish
Algae Grower

The power consumption on the eheim is also much lower than the fluval, like half or less if remember correctly.

That and they advertise that they use durable ceramic parts.

But now I'm having trouble securing the outflow pipe because they want you to stick the suction cups on the outside back of the tank. Well mine is painted, suction cups don't stick to paint, and if that thing falls out of the tank, it'll just pump water on the floor, not the best design there.....most people use a background on their aquarium. It needs a clip on the rim option imo.

I'm going to try industrial strength Velcro today. But what I have is old, hopefully it's still sticky enough.

Also anyone know what the eheim has roughly half the flow of the fluval but they are rated at only a 10 gallon difference (ehiem 60 and fluval 70)
Old 03-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
alcimedes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've used a variety of cannister filters over the years, but have always had excellent luck with the Eheim ones (short of the wet/dry they sold that had issues and I picked up for a steal.)

There are two things you'll need to clean periodically to keep the flow rate up. Depending on if it's mainly mechanical, bio or a combination of both, and how dirty your tank is, the filter media/pads will need to be rinsed anywhere from once a month to once every 3 - 6 months.

Once or twice a year, you should also clean out the intake and return lines. Those can get gunked up and decrease flow rate as well, and many people just forget to clean them ever.
alcimedes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
adamfish
Algae Grower

Further research suggests higher flow rate is not necessarily better, it will tend to break up larger pieces into very fine particles and get pushed through the filter easier. Makes sense.

Also the slower flow rate will allow the water to mingle with the bio media longer.

So I'm no longer bummed out about the seemingly low flow rate on these filters.

The Velcro is holding up great so far. Tank is visibly clearer already, and I turned it off for the night.

Also picked up SS hose clamps for the intake and return, and also a water alarm that will sit next to the filter bucket. $10 at home depot, lasts around 5 Years on 1 battery and detects as little as 1/32nd of an inch of water. 110db siren will blast for hours untill reset, what a great deal, and insurance.

They also had one time use devices for $7

So far I'm loving it, silent, looks sexy and not a drip anywhere yet.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #7
kep
Algae Grower

i just bought a 2234 for my 9g and i love it. the flow rate is 160gph i believe, but i've also read that they rate it without having any media in it, so it's actually slower than that. i've heard though that eheim under rates their gph rates.

it sounds like you've got it buttoned up, but i was going to suggest putting in on the side of the tank towards the back. it's pretty slim and sleek design i wouldn't think to be too ugly. i actually found that kind of odd too, that it sticks to the outside of the tank. i think it's kind of cool that way because it's one less thing stuck to the back wall inside the tank and it looks pretty slick.

i just wish eheim was a little more generous with their hoses. i have mine on a bar height counter top and had to put the in/out flow on the side and boost the filter up on a box to make it reach.

i have a pro 3 g90 and g160 for my 120g and both barely reached each end of the tank and sit on the floor inside the stand. not much wiggle room at all.

i'm going to look into those water alarms, i hadn't heard of them before. you're right, cheap insurance!

slightly off topic, but i think it goes along with the insurance, is the ecotech marine radion lights with the reef wifi link add on allow you to connect a camera to your online setup and you can monitor your tank from anywhere.
kep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
adamfish
Algae Grower

I just got the battery in the water alarm, battery is not included, but it is VERY sensitive, and quite loud.

Just touching the sensors with your fingers sets it off, highly reccomended.

But I agree on the hoses, too short. At least bigals has lots of replacement parts for these filters, my lfs are useless.

On a side note just tried to hook up the fluval 88 co2 and it leaked the entire bottle of co2 in my living room, pretty sure it's leaking where the gauge screws into the reg.......sending it back......another 2 weeks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.