Aquatek regulator repair advice (decreasing bubble rate)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
meisterluv
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aquatek regulator repair advice (decreasing bubble rate)

My Premium Aquatek Regulator (on 15lb tank) has recently stopped working. When I re-plug the regulator in the valve opens up and CO2 flows out normally. However, within 30 secs the bubble rate decreases and then it completely stops. Has anyone dealt with this issue and know what the fix is?

Thanks!
meisterluv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
exv152
Wannabe Guru

You might have a leak somewhere. Have you done the soapy water test?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
meisterluv
Algae Grower

I have not. Where would should i check with the soap test?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
rrattani
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisterluv View Post
I have not. Where would should i check with the soap test?
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=137245

Step-3: is the soap water test...basically you turn the CO2/regulator/solenoid on, and spray some soap water over the regulator/solenoid connectors, the hose etc. and check for any bubbling.
rrattani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
meisterluv
Algae Grower

Thanks. I'm out of town so will have to do this when I get home.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
meisterluv
Algae Grower

Alright. Did the soap test. No leaks were found.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Okay if no leaks, maybe debris in the solenoid or needle valve? Possibly in the reg itself? When I change tanks, I make a habit of opening the tank valve to blow some gas out into the air to clear it of any dirt that it may have picked up.
I would suggest separating the various parts and then try to blow out anything that might be hung up in the tiny openings in any of these items.

Careful when doing this!!!

It is important to open the working pressure valve before opening the tank valve each time. If you fail to open the working pressure valve, the high pressure can go through and ruin the low (working) pressure meter.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #8
meisterluv
Algae Grower

I'm not familiar with opening regulators, is there a guide specific to Aquatek regulators??

Also, since it seems the regulator slowly closes does that indicate a faulty part or debris?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #9
Marco@GLA
Sponsors

If your bubble rate slows to a stop I would suspect a back pressure issue. For example, if your rate of flow is good for a while and starts to slowly come to a stop then this could be because if something down the line. A check valve or diffuser perhaps. If you have either of these 2 things somewhere in your set up I would remove them. Then power your system back up and if the flow remains steady without stopping then you know its one of the parts you removed.

You can isolate the troubled part by installing one piece at a time. If you use a ceramic diffuser make sure its clean and not clogged.

If you have a check valve make sure its not stuck in closed position. All check valves will get dirty with time. So a good purging will be good every year or so.
Marco@GLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 12:54 AM   #10
meisterluv
Algae Grower

Thanks. I'm feeding the CO2 line into a DIY cerge reactor which is inline with a canister filter. Will definitely take them apart and see if that solves it
Old 11-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #11
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

The Cerge's itself should not have a lot of restriction but if you are running the CO2 line through a fitting of some type, it can be screwed down too tight and choking off the flow.
Good plan to start at some point to remove parts to see where the trouble begins/ends.

For many regs, it is better to not risk damage to the low pressure meter. When you open the tank valve there is a sometimes a rush of the really high pressure (800-1000?) into the reg. Depending on lots of things, the reg may pass some of this pressure on through to the low side until it begins to really regulate the pressure. The working pressure is often a balance between gas pressure and springs and it takes a bit to get the act together. The burst of high pressure can hit the low meter and either bend the internal works or blow the inside so it leaks.
Good practice is to always back the working pressure knob counterclock until you feel the knob loosen. No need to take it all the way out but you will feel it get loose. This closes the gas flow before it goes to the low side where the meter is set.
When starting gas again like after a refill, open the tank valve to blow any crud out of the tank valve, place the reg and tighten. With the working pressure backed off, slowly open the tank valve all the way and see that you have high pressure on that gauge. Once it is all good to that point, screw the adjustment clockwise to get the working pressure you want.
Keeps your little 60-100PSI meter from looking at 800-1000PSI!!!!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #12
meisterluv
Algae Grower

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life. But it seems my regulator is acting up again.

It seems that my regulator is shutting off after 10mins of use. Replugging it back in opens up the solenoid but after 10mins a click is heard and the solenoid closes. Any thoughts?

Only home on the weekends so progress on this fix may take a while for me.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #13
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

This sounds more like a problem with the solenoid. If the reg stops give gas, the solenoid being plugged in should still stay open but the click sounds like it is closing? Not something as simple as a plug that is a little loose in the wall outlet? Maybe bend the prongs out a bit to fit tighter just as an easy way to get that question solved?
Just running some ideas around but there is a possible cause that electronics sometimes do. As the solenoid and the coil which pull it, get warmer, it can be moving a small connection so that it opens the circuit letting the solenoid close. As a repairman this is a nasty thing to try to find because of the intermittent way it works.
The way I might first suggest to find the problem may not be too easy.
Thinking of the parts you have, is it practical to suggest taking the solenoid off the reg and running without it for a while to see if the gas stays moving? Can we assume that the low pressure meter still reads the same so that we are not being confused by a sound that seems to come from the solenoid but is really the reg making a noise as it shuts down? Not really thinking that direction but it pays to keep all things in mind.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 03-07-2015 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: add
Old 03-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #14
meisterluv
Algae Grower

the pressure gauges are still reading the same after the noise. I assume the noise to be the solenoid shutting down as it is the same "clicking" noise heard when re-plugging the solenoid. I will have to look in to how to remove the solenoid. I am unfamiliar working with solenoids so this may take a bit more research on my part. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:09 PM   #15
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Wow! I just went over to the Aquatek site and tried to look at this little beast. The video is from so far away, it's hard to see any of the details. It's almost as if they don't want you to get a good look? I was trying to see how this "intergrated" solenoid fits in but never got a good look. Several things about that vid that conflict with the way I was trained. since the shaft on tanks can get worn as they move up and down opening and closing, I was always told best practice is too fully open or fully close the tank valve so that if there is a worn spot on the shaft it is not left where it will leak.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.