Tool for draining water - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #16
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
The U shaped PVC garden hose thingy works great, I use those plastic strainers used for prefilters on wet/dry filter(come in 1/2, 3/4" or 1" sizes and make a T, so the water des not direct straight down.

This way the same hose used to drain, is also used to fill.
The U hook stays put till you are done draining and filling.
Unhook the other end to drain down the bathtub or outside to landscape plants/grass etc, and then once drained, take that other end and connect ot the shower head(you get a plastic adapter) adjust the water temp, and refill, add dechlor to the tank you are refilling directly when you start the refill.
I understand how to prime a regular gravel vac with water in the tube to get the siphon going, but I don't get how you get a long hose pipe going without have to suck the water through. There is no way I'd do that. lol
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #17
Rev_jim_jones
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I understand how to prime a regular gravel vac with water in the tube to get the siphon going, but I don't get how you get a long hose pipe going without have to suck the water through. There is no way I'd do that. lol
The water in the hose only has to be below the level of water for gravity to make the siphon work not out of the end of the hose.

"Magnets how do they work? We can improve it with the Power of Steam!"
Rev_jim_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
CAM6467
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not that you would want to go out and buy one just for this purpose, but a power head can be a very useful tool during a WC. I found vinyl tubing to fit over the output of the power head and simply pumped water out.

I only did this because I had an extra laying around not being used. Like I already said, this is not something that you would buy specifically for WC purposes.
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.
CAM6467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_jim_jones View Post
The water in the hose only has to be below the level of water for gravity to make the siphon work not out of the end of the hose.

"Magnets how do they work? We can improve it with the Power of Steam!"
Didn't realize that. That makes sense then. Thanks!
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I connect my drain hose to a hose bib outside, with the other end laying on the deck. I run water until water comes out the other end. Then turn off the water, put the tank end in the tank, and turn on the water briefy until no more big air bubbles show up in the tank. Shut off the hose bib, unscrew the hose from it and poke it where I want the water to drain (into plantings). The hose is full of wate so the siphon is fully established. When enough water drains out, I screw the hose back on the hose bib, and turn on the water to fill the tank. When the tank is full I shut off the hose bib, pull the hose end out of the tank, and holding it high I carry it ourdoors. Disconnect the hose from the hose bib and roll up the hose as the water flow out of the hose.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #21
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I do the suck method. Hose is 20 feet. So i have about 4 seconds of full suctions before i pull away and 1 second later water comes out.. i have gotten a mouthfull before. Spit and mouthwash make me feel more comfortable
Old 12-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #22
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM6467 View Post
Not that you would want to go out and buy one just for this purpose, but a power head can be a very useful tool during a WC. I found vinyl tubing to fit over the output of the power head and simply pumped water out.

I only did this because I had an extra laying around not being used. Like I already said, this is not something that you would buy specifically for WC purposes.
This is what we do, works for the big reef tank and my small planted tank equally well and it's so much nicer than a mouthful of poopy fish water.

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #23
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I have used most of those methods.

Here is another one.

Set up the garden hose so it absolutely positively drains free and fast. Down hill with no questions asked.

Put the female end near the tank, secure it about level with the bottom of the tank.

Test fit your siphon. Make sure it fits in the garden hose.

Start siphon, then hold your finger over the outlet end.
QUICKLY stuff the outlet end into the garden hose.

If there is any compromise in the hose the system will leak where the siphon enters the hose.
Because of this I usually arrange this sort of set up over a bucket or plastic storage bin, and have towels ready.

One way to start a siphon with a PVC overflow:
Drill a small hole in the PVC as low as you can on the outside.
Snugly fit some air tubing into the hole. Have a rubber band around the PVC near the top.
To start the siphon inhale through the air tubing. You will see the water enter the air tubing. Stop inhaling. Fold the tubing over or tie it in a tight knot so no air will get in to stop the siphon. Secure the air tubing higher than the tank water level with the rubber band. Use soft tubing so it is easy to shut off this way.

One way to start a siphon in any of the smaller diameter tubing (up to 1/2" diameter):
Insert a turkey baster in the outlet end and let that do the inhaling. I have done this with air tubing and a 5ml 'eyedropper' sort of thing, too.

I still use the unpowered siphons the most. Run the water into a storage bin and use that to clean the filters, sponges and other things.
A pump in the storage bin is connected to the garden hose which waters the garden. When I am taking it out to the downhill garden areas I can get it going, then turn off the pump. It will siphon out from there.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #24
hobos
Algae Grower

This is how I do it

http://youtu.be/Z_lFtqsg6GY
hobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #25
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I use a 50' aqueon water changer kit that I stuck a maxi-jet 1200 on the tank end of. Screw the venturi end onto the faucet in the kitchen and plop the maxi-jet end into the aquarium. Plug in, watch television. 5 minutes later, unplug the powerhead, adjust the water temp out of the faucet, turn the valve, refill the tank, adding dechlor, take a tour of reddit... run into the kitchen when tank is 3/4" from full, turn off faucet, wind up hose...

I omitted the 3 hours of trimming and assorted other maintenance that takes place once every 2 weeks...for brevity LOL
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote