Questions about moving a tank with water
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Questions about moving a tank with water

I want to move my tank onto this other stand but first I had questions regarding moving it.
-8 gallon biocube glass tank

Do I need to drain out all the water before moving it? It is full of plants & shrimp & I'd like to maybe drain 1/4 of the tank then move it, would this be a bad idea?
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
CAM6467
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Risky business there my friend. I bet you could move it if you drained it and left the substrate/hardscape in place. However, if it were me and my house, it would be a complete tear down...
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.
CAM6467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

For a cube, you can lift them full, it's not heavy, but what I've done is drain 50% of the water, get someone to help you slide it onto a board, carry the board, slide off the new area, done. Push on and off the board near the bottom of the tank where there is still water.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
MiniFishRoom
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

You can drain out almost all the water and move it no problem.
Just be smart about it.
I drained my 75 gal tank almost empty. I kepted enough water so the fish and shrimp will stay alive. Also I didn't want to rescape so it kept everything in place.
Here's how I did it;
Got a lot of 5 gal buckets and syphon all the water to it so that way I don't need to cycle my tank again etc...
Got a couple friends to come help me lift the tank off of the stand.
From there we moved the stand to a new location and then moved the tank afterwards.
At the new location I just used a water pump and pumped back all the water from all the 5 gal buckets back into my tank.
Fish was happy and everything was still intact.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

The weight of the tank with the water doesn't concern me. It's whether the integrity of the tank would be able to withstand me moving it. It has maybe 15 lbs of sand, no heavy rocks, but lots of shrimp. I doubt I'd be able to catch them all, let alone the tiny babies I can barely see.

The other stand is about 10 feet away so it isn't a long distance. I wish I could drain the whole thing, but the back of my tank has a huge glob of moss with hidden babies & 5 berried females. I could drain maybe 45% before the moss starts being above the surface...how much harm would it actually be for the shrimp to be above the water line, but in moss for a couple minutes? I feel like i'm in a lose/lose situation. ahhh
Old 12-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nvm I got it guys, thanks.

I just used a power head attached to a long hose & put it in my wet/dry draining 40% of the water not disturbing anything in the main display & man I forgot how light this thing was
Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Nice work! At 40% of the water drained I bet the tank is no more than 30-35lbs. Even if it were marginally more, that shouldn't be a problem for glass.

It's really the 20+ gallon tanks that become a problem.
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah. I'm just not all that used to glass tanks"even though I've had it for a year"

I'm mainly used to acrylic tanks as all I would keep are large cichlids. I remember filling a 55 gallon acrylic 25% percent then carrying it up the stairs. I'm sure That was a big no no but it held & was quite the workout, especially when the water would swish back & forward..man that was sketchy LOL