HOT Magnum or Vortex D1
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-14-2008, 02:24 AM   #1
mark77ap
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to mark77ap

HOT Magnum or Vortex D1

Hi,

I would like to setup some diatom filteration to get my water crystal clear. I seem to get a dose of GW every now and then, and it generally takes weeks to clear up. It would be nice to clear it up quickly when it does occur.

So, I was looking at the HOT Magnum 250 or the Vortext D1.
I have a few questions.

1. Are these ok for a 75 gal - only will be used to polish the water.
2. Here in Canada I can get a Magnum for $70 or a Vortex D1 for $100.
3. How big is the HOT Magnum. I have limited space between the back of the tank and the wall.

I realize the Vortex is a true diatom filter, is it worth the extra $30? I think the vortex is rated at 150GPH and the Magnum is at 250. It sounds like the magnum is better when it comes to price/flow?

Thanks

Mark

Old 06-14-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

the Vortex has been around for a long time now and has not change at all, i had 1 back in the '80's, D1 Vortex and use it to polish my 55g they are great it only takes a couple of hours to kleen the tank, now i use a uv light and turn it on when i get some GW alage for a couple of hours or when i do a water change
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 02:44 AM   #3
mark77ap
Algae Grower

I suppose a UV is an option as well. I figure that would combat the GW, are there any other benefits for one in a planted tank. How much wattage would I need for a 75 G?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:45 AM   #4
DaveS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have used both for water polishing and the Vortex beats the Magnum easily for pure diatom filtration. The Vortex holds a lot more diatom powder and will last quite a bit longer on a single charge.

The being said, the Magnum is a much more versatile filter. I have used it as a backup when my cannister was out of service and it did a fine job. The Vortex would not be able to do that same job. If you are just looking for water polishing, get the Vortex. If you want more than that, look at the Magnum.

I haven't used the Vortex in about six years if that tells you anything, but if I had green water I would probably grab that first and leave the Magnum on the shelf.

Dave
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
neonmkr
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

The HOT is 14"h x 6.25"w x 5.5"d at the minimum. It would be at it's limit on a 75.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:53 AM   #6
DaveS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonmkr View Post
The HOT is 14"h x 6.25"w x 5.5"d at the minimum. It would be at it's limit on a 75.
As a single filter solution I agree (although I have done it on my 75g tank for quite a period of time). For periodic water polishing it can work, but it generally takes more than one diatom charge to get it done depending on how much is getting filtered out.

Dave
Old 06-14-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
mark77ap
Algae Grower

Would I be better to add some more filter floss/pads to my XP3 and go the UV route? UV(91 Turbo Twist) or the Vortex D1 are going to be the same price.....
Old 06-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
mooner
Algae Grower

I have both currently running. The HOT Magnum does well and has good flow. But when it comes to a Diatom, you just can't get clearer water. Also, the flow is less than a Hot Magnum because it filters down to 1 micron, and a Diatom WILL take out parasites like ick. The HOT Magnum will need about 5-5.5 in from tank to wall.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
mark77ap
Algae Grower

Another option I have been considering is this. It seems that a lot of people are running 2 filters on their aquariums. I only have 1 XP3. Are there any canisters filters that can be used with diatom powder? i.e what if I get a Magnum canister filter, and use it for diatom when needed? 2 birds with 1 stone

Last edited by mark77ap; 06-14-2008 at 10:07 PM..
mark77ap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
DaveS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you are going that way, I would stick with the HOT Magnum rather than the cannister. I'm not honestly sure if you can charge a Magnum cannister with Diatom powder (I would think it is possible), but I do know it will be a lot more work. The HOT Magnum is nice because it is so easy to service and get started again. The HOT is self priming and much easier to service than the Magnum cannister, and as supplemental filtration it will do fine on your 75g tank. The HOT Magnum also has a gravel vacuum attachment that comes in handy from time to time, so I think it is a good versatile option that will suffice for water polishing (not as good as the Vortex, but it can work) as well. That's just my $.02 worth. If I had to give up my Vortex or my Magnum, I would give up the Vortex without a doubt.

Dave
Old 06-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
mark77ap
Algae Grower

WellI got the HOT magnum, charged with about 1/4 cup of DE and let it run over night. What a difference....

Thanks for all the info.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
neonmkr
Planted Member

You can use diatom with the magnum 350. Works great.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
mickmac247
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Good timing for this thread as I am also thinking of getting a HOT Mag. A newbie here so hopefully Ill make some sense.lol One it says self prime does that mean just turn it on and it fills itself or do I have to have it filled first? I also see 2 dif inside type filters. One to hold charcoal or something else. Is the paper type filter the one for polishing the water? do you also use the blue sponge to cover whichever filetr being used? lastly what is DE and how did you use it in the HOT? Thanks in advance to patience help.
Mick
Old 06-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
neonmkr
Planted Member

Fill with water before turning on. You use the pleated filter when you want to use diatomaceous earth (DE). Most people shorten it to diatoms. After putting the pleated filter into the canister, fill with water and add the proper amount of DE. I prefer to start the filter up while hanging on the side of a bucket so that way any DE that might escape at the initial start up won't get into the tank. With the basket type insert, I fill it with gravel. The blue sponge is a prefilter of sorts, so you would want to use that with both type of filter inserts, unless you are using DE. To clean the pleated filter after use, rinse it & then soak in a mild bleach solution. Rinse very well before using it again. I like to have an extra one on hand, that way I can keep the filter running while cleaning the pleated filter.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
mickmac247
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Neonmkr A big thanks all around and off to the store I go.
Mick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.