lighting choice...plz help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
Nothingness
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

lighting choice...plz help

I currently have a single t12 40w 6500k light and was wondering would I be better to replace it with the Home Depot diamond work light I keep hearing about? would the 2 32w bulbs make that big of a difference over what I currently have? Its a 48 inch 55g tank that will be a NPT once set up
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
MiniFishRoom
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)

1 light is bright...
2 light is brighter...
3 light is even brighter...

In the end it's really your choice
Old 12-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
Tyranasaurus69
Algae Grower

Honestly i would go with cfl's. Get a 2 way lamp fixture from home depot, and lamp cord. You can get two 24 watt or higher 6500k spec bulbs and it will all cost you around 15 dollars. You can strip out the normal fixture from your regular old aquarium light, and put yours inside, presto. I have my own setup for four bulbs and have 4 different fixtures all wired to one lamp cord. Each fixture cost around 3 dollars, the wire to connect them, around 5. The bulbs are around 5 dollars each.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	60254
Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
Nothingness
Algae Grower

That sounds cheaper and would produce more light. I like it. I am guessing this is the 2 way light fixture your talking about or something similar to it? http://www.homedepot.ca/product/medi...r-white/942433
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
Tyranasaurus69
Algae Grower

i have 4 of those for my setup, you can get one that is basically 2 of those with their backs together without the extra plastic, it fits inside your average aqueon light hood, or you can diy away like i usually do. they even have adapters you can use in the fixture you found. that is like a Y splitter, giving you the ability to run 2 bulbs off 1 fixture. cfl makes it easy, just dont do too much light and make sure its on a timer, because these babies will give you algae if you over do it, which is easy to do with how cheap they are. i ended up taking out one of my bulbs and only running 3 for my 20g
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #6
Tyranasaurus69
Algae Grower

my plants are showing crazy growth in just a week too, with only diy co2 to help em out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.