36" Ray II led replacement driver?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
VisionQuest28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

36" Ray II led replacement driver?

I have a 36" Ray II-DS that atleast one of the two driver boards burnt up. CS at finnex offered to TRY to convince the techs to repair it for free, if they deemed it repairable, there was no water damage, and i was willing to pay shipping both ways. I appreciate their offer, and i may end up going that route, but i would like to investigate other possibilities first. Soooo....

Does anybody know what driver I could purchase that would serve as a replacement? I am not sure what shape the other driver is in because i quit taking it apart once i saw how bad the first one is. But a replacement driver that was capable of driving both led boards would be best.

I am also not sure if the led's are even any good anymore. I dont see any obvious signs that they are bad or burned out, but i realize that doesnt mean anything. Any easy way to check with a multimeter? Or some other way?
VisionQuest28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

I have no answer for you, but out curiousity, how long have you had the fixture?
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
VisionQuest28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
I have no answer for you, but out curiousity, how long have you had the fixture?
I purchased it second hand, i have no idea what led to this burning out. There was a manufacture date on the driver of 5/24/12 though
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Wow! 6 months old and drivers are already burning out? That doesn't sound promising.
Without knowing how the original drivers and leds were wired together it's anyone's guess if there's an off the shelf driver that would work. I'd love to take a stab at it though. How many leds and drivers does the unit contain? I may be able to offer some help if you can answer that?
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
VisionQuest28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I Will have to look later today after work to give a definitive answer. But there are 2 drivers and 2 separate boards with multiple small led's , i would have to guess around 100 or so per board. Im pretty sure that the drivers are in series, but i Will have to look closer later today.

I got another email from finnex, the cs rep said that they definitely recommend sending the board in for repair. Said the tech claimed he had never seen a board burn up like that. They are def standing behind their product, and i believe they Will try to make it right. But i still don't think there is any guarantee that it is fixable, and Im kinda interested in tinkering with this some. So we Will see what happens...
Old 12-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hey VisionQuest28. Sorry about your fixture. What rep have you been conversing with? Do you know by any chance if the previous owner attempted to add a dimmer to the unit?
Lowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
VisionQuest28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey Lowe,

I do not know which rep I am dealing with. I just read through all emails and there was never a name or number given. In the last email i received he/she asked the same question...if i knew if the last owner tried using a dimmer? I dont really have any info on how this was used.

I would like to say, that so far, in my limited dealings with Finnex I am very pleased and impressed. Knowing that I am not the original owner, that I dont have a receipt...they are still trying to help me. Thats a stand up company in my book! Thank you...
Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks like you've been speaking to John. He'll take care of ya!
Lowe is online now   Reply With Quote