Advice on canister filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Shaebo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Advice on canister filter

My Eheim ECCOt handle broke and will no longer seal. Looking for advice on new filter and capacity. I have a 29g with a co2 reactor. I need something that will be able to filter well and be able to do so with the reactor. Thanks for your help. The reactor is from aquarium plants.com the external reactor 5000. Price is not important.
Shaebo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a eheim 2213 in my 36g it works great and I get the floss and carbon pads from ebay in bulk so it's cheap. I haven't had any issues with it except a little trick to get it going is to tip it upsided to prime it if it doesn't start pumping right away.

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Eheim Classic all they way. Probably go with the 2215 if you're pushing through a reactor as well. The Classic is, well, classic. It's built to last. Powerful durable pump (that is thermally protected from overheating, unlike the Eheim Ecco). Plenty of room for media. It's a work horse.
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Shaebo
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward another Eheim. I had been happy with the ECCO until it broke. It had been running for 11-12yrs. It still runs, just won't seal the top to pump. I looked at the filters used by Amano. The design is very similar to the classic. They look great, but that price is pretty steep when I can get a classic to do the same thing.
I've noticed a lot of posts about running two filters. Is it more for redundancy in the system?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

If you were going to stick with Eheim, I would consider a 2215 or 2217. My 2215 had enough flow for a 29 but once I added a few things inline, it wasn't quite enough for me.

People use 2 filters for a variety of reasons. The main reason is more bio media or more flow. Some may make one a "bio-filter" with only bio media and course filters (or possibly no mechanical media) that gets cleaned almost never, only when the flow is to a trickle, and the other as mechanical, being cleaned more often.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Shaebo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
If you were going to stick with Eheim, I would consider a 2215 or 2217. My 2215 had enough flow for a 29 but once I added a few things inline, it wasn't quite enough for.
Have you used anything other than Eheim that works just as well ? I'm not stuck on getting Eheim, I've just had good experience with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.