First planted tank ever.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
iplants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First planted tank ever.

Hi guys,

I thought I would share my first planted tank. It is a 10 gallon regular tank. Nothing fancy. I decided to plant low light maintenance plants:

Bacopa carolina
crypt spiralis
dwarf onion
crypt undulata
anubia
brazilian pennywort
amazon sword (arrive too tall so I cut some of it off after this pic)
Cabomba

I used flourite as a substrate because it was easily available. I added three pieces of driftwood, one is covered in riccia. I dose with flourish comp. and API CO2 booster. I'm not all that experienced so I'm not dosing with a diffuser or anything. I also have 2 10 watt 6500k bulbs. Since this pic the Bacopa melted away though there is new growth. the spiralis has been removed and I added a smaller amazon sword. The undulata isn't doing too well either.

I hope I can get some feedback, but please be nice. I know it probably sucks lol. I have done research and would love to gain some knowledge on this wonderful passion!

I think next time I might try eco complete or fluval I really want to get a black substrate! (trying to get my hands on Aquasoil).

If you have tips/suggestions please let me know! definitely open to learning!
iplants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Looks like a good start, no algae yet! The plants look pretty happy too. I'd suggest sloping the gravel either high in back, or irregularly, to give the tank a less homogenous feel. Try to keep the tall stuff in the back, maybe add a small foreground, and/or midground plant that will thrive under your lighting + ferts setup. I feel like the tank has too much "big stuff" for a 10 gallon, you need some really small fish, and some really small plants to make the tank not look so small. Some suggestions: 1)Pygmy chain swords (e. tennellus), maybe glossostigma, maybe penny wort or a hydrocotyl species. Just make sure it doesn't take high lighting and CO2.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplants View Post
Hi guys,

I thought I would share my first planted tank. It is a 10 gallon regular tank. Nothing fancy. I decided to plant low light maintenance plants:

Bacopa carolina
crypt spiralis
dwarf onion
crypt undulata
anubia
brazilian pennywort
amazon sword (arrive too tall so I cut some of it off after this pic)
Cabomba

I used flourite as a substrate because it was easily available. I added three pieces of driftwood, one is covered in riccia. I dose with flourish comp. and API CO2 booster. I'm not all that experienced so I'm not dosing with a diffuser or anything. I also have 2 10 watt 6500k bulbs. Since this pic the Bacopa melted away though there is new growth. the spiralis has been removed and I added a smaller amazon sword. The undulata isn't doing too well either.

I hope I can get some feedback, but please be nice. I know it probably sucks lol. I have done research and would love to gain some knowledge on this wonderful passion!

I think next time I might try eco complete or fluval I really want to get a black substrate! (trying to get my hands on Aquasoil).

If you have tips/suggestions please let me know! definitely open to learning!
Good job! I still have some questions, though. I'm assuming that your lights are Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFL). I had Hair and Blue-green algae blooms and among other things I had to lower the photoperiod (the time your tank lights are on over 24 hours. I also have a 10g and 2 10 watt CFLs.

I agree with all of the aquascaping advice. I would try to replace the Amazon Sword because they really normally are taller than 12" and they're a big plant for a 10g.

There are differing opinions on the use of "liquid carbon" treadments, e.g., API CO2 booster. As a substitute for that you can think about raising your lights or possibly swap out the bulbs for lower wattage bulbs.

Take care and please post any more questions. Have a good time.
The Fraternity of Dirt #152

A Silent Cycled Tank
Django is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
iplants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you guys! I'm definitely getting rid of that amazon sword. Way too tall. I didn't read the small font where it said the height. lol. I'm thinking I definitely will add some slope. So i'm going to take what I can out except the crypt (don't want to disturb it).

How would I be able to raise the lighting with the hood? Would I have to buy a new system? I might upgrade later to one of those rimless nice ADA tanks or something. I see everyone else and I'm like "WOW" I want it!!!! LOL

Thanks for the tips!!! I appreciate so much!
iplants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.