Help planning a 2.5g tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
Shale87
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Question

Help planning a 2.5g tank

I've got a 2.5g tank (this one, specifically) that I will house a betta or shrimp in. The silicone is pretty messy, so I'll probably be razor blading the excess off soon.

Here's what I've got so far (actually more questions then plans...)

Substrate: fluorite and maybe a top later of sand

Lighting: I will probably be setting up the tank near a window so it will receive some natural light. If I don't go this route, what kind of lighting should I be looking for?

Filtration: I've heard about sponge filters being used in small tanks, but are they good for planted tanks? I'd like this tank to be relatively low maintenance, so should I stick with a small HOB? As for filter media, is activated carbon the best way to go?

Plants: Since I do have such a small tank, I'd really like to use plants with small leaves and stuff to create a sort-of "miniature world" look. I'm thinking about a nice moss or small grassy type plant and a plant that will float on the surface to create a filtered light effect. Low to medium light plants would probably be best if I want to avoid expensive lighting, right?

I've heard that fast growing plants help combat algea growth, so I will definitely look into that. Are there some that people recommend for small tanks or is one fast growing plant just as good as another at keeping algea away?

Dosing and maintenance: I've heard it's best to give the plants time (4 weeks?) to establish themselves before using fertilizer - is that true? I have some API brand liquid fertilizer that seems to work pretty well - do you think it will be enough for the plants? As for water changes, would a changing 1/4 of the water once a month work?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to start this off right rather than having to start over later. Thanks!
Shale87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
rmtsaucedo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am excited to hear what people suggest. I am putting together a planted 1.5gal betta tank for my mom for Christmas for her desk.
rmtsaucedo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Welcome to TPT. There's a lot of plants you can use to have a miniature effect in your tank. Anubias nana petite is a nice low tech plant. Fissidens has small fronds and can be attached to driftwood or other hardscape. Most carpets require higher light and CO2 to stay small and compact. My suggestion for a carpet is some sort of moss tied down to either flat rocks or steel mesh. Floaters such as DWL and Frogbit can be used but their roots can get long in your 2.5. If that's the case, a simple trim of the roots can be done periodically. Giant duckweed looks great in smaller tanks. Plants grow about the size of a dime and have nice maroon undersides when given ample light. Also, they are easier to remove and control than regular duckweed.

For lighting, I suggest a small desk lamp with a 10 watt screw in CFL. Make sure it's a "Daylight" bulb or 6500K.

They make mini HOB filters which you can use for your tank. I know Azoo makes one that a lot of people use.

Algae growth is caused by too much light and not enough CO2 and/or nutrients in the water column. The best way to prevent algae is to not use too much light and to periodically use ferts in your tank. With lower lighting, CO2 would not be needed though it would be beneficial to have. How often you change your water depends on how your stocking levels are and how fast the nitrates build up in your tank. If you have a densely planted tank with a light bioload, you can reduce the amount of water changes you do.

Feel free to ask more questions.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

For plants I like these for low light:

marsilea minuta (carpet plant)
any moss like flame, java, xmas etc
crypts
java ferns
rotala rotundifolia

also in the low light section there is a sticky with more plants

welcome to tpt and planted tanks
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
Shale87
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestions!

I really like the fissidens! Is there a trick to attching it to mesh? I've attached moss to rock using fishing wire - is it the same for mesh? I assume the mesh just serves as a starting point and the plant will spread, right?

I really like the giant duckweed too! The maroon will add a nice bit of color too.

The rotala rotundifolia is beautiful, but doesn't it need high light to show its colors?

I'll have to check out Azoo filters then! And that lighting sounds easy enough.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3020271&type=1

i have 3 2 gallon tanks.. for 2 i share a finnex light for the other a desktop full spectrum florescent (i had it already) feel free to check them out, they each have a different theme (zen, beach, and natural)
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #7
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shale87 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

I really like the fissidens! Is there a trick to attching it to mesh? I've attached moss to rock using fishing wire - is it the same for mesh? I assume the mesh just serves as a starting point and the plant will spread, right?

I really like the giant duckweed too! The maroon will add a nice bit of color too.

The rotala rotundifolia is beautiful, but doesn't it need high light to show its colors?

I'll have to check out Azoo filters then! And that lighting sounds easy enough.
You can use fishing wire to attach the fissidens to the mesh.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got the same tank. I used a desk lamp with a 13 watt CFL, and made my own reflector out of tin foil, that really made the difference. The light is six inches from the top of the tank, and its plenty of light. The bonus to this is that I don't have to heat the water.

Seeing as it is such a small tank, and I wanted room for hardscape and plants, I used a ZooMed 501 external filter. It works great. I filled it with the ceramic rings it comes with, and small lava rock.

I was having an algae problem, then I got a bottle of Excel. With such a small tank it doesn't take much and a bottle will last a long time.

To attach fissidens: This works well on rock and driftwood. Put it wherever you want it, then keep it moist for 2 weeks. NOT SUBMERGED. I usually just put it in a tupperware container. End of two weeks, it is attached.

Welcome, and good luck!
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Shale87
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom View Post
Seeing as it is such a small tank, and I wanted room for hardscape and plants, I used a ZooMed 501 external filter. It works great. I filled it with the ceramic rings it comes with, and small lava rock.
I hadn't thought about a small canister! How is the flow rate? I don't want something too powerful, especially if I end up putting a betta in the tank.

Quote:
To attach fissidens: This works well on rock and driftwood. Put it wherever you want it, then keep it moist for 2 weeks. NOT SUBMERGED. I usually just put it in a tupperware container. End of two weeks, it is attached.
Oh awesome! I will definitely be using this suggestion! Any idea on if it'd work with mesh too?

About the substrate, is there any benefit of having sand over the flourite or is it purely asthetic?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't remember what the quoted flow rate is, but this was a gently used filter I got from kijiji. It works fine for the tank, with a single betta. I don't use the spray bar, I use the deflector thing and it seems to work well. Betta swims wherever he wants and doesn't have any problem with the current. If you find the flow is too much, there are ways of diminishing flow - more holes in a spray bar, bigger holes.

Don't know anything about flourite, but I would think it would be mostly for the look your going for. Sand is inert and has a really low CEC, if any.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I think you should also look into crypt parva. It stays small with decent light and looks great.
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #12
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

i just saw a UV filter that is SMALL haven't tried it on a 2.5 yet. this looks sooo cool!
any thoughts it would be great for your small tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-PF15-U...I3W1NZG6IAF12R
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #13
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I actually just bought this tank tonight. It's setup and cycling as we speak. I'll be putting shrimp in it along with lace rock, driftwood, java fern and java moss. I'm in the same boat right now for lighting. Currently looking for an led desktop lamp but haven't found anything online yet. I'll be interested to see what others have!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.