Ever used a 3D background from designsbynature.net?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
etgregoire
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ever used a 3D background from designsbynature.net?

Anyone ever buy one of these? Just curious how you felt about it, how easy it was to install, etc...
etgregoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

out of curiosity, what size tank are you thinking of?

aside from that, I tend to prefer DIY backgrounds, and I feel that backgrounds are less of a concern in a planted tank (the plants themselves make a background of sorts)

Some relatively easy/low skill DIY backgrounds would be siliconing (you can use a glass panel or something similar if you don't want it to be permanent) a bunch of lava rock, corkbark, slate, or some other material to the back of the tank - this will also serve as a place to mount java fern, anubias, bolbitis, moss, and similar plants.

Another method that takes a bit more time, effort, and materials (and can look anywhere from mediocre to really great, depending on your skills and talents) is to carve up some foam, and coat it in grout, drylok, or an epoxy/sand mix.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I used mirrored plastic sheeting(window covering that makes a mirror on one side but can be seen through on the other) once. It doubled the depth of the tank when the plants were placed correctly. Takes a lot of work to get the "picture" just right.

You sometimes see the stuff on office buildings or office windows.
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
etgregoire
Planted Member

The mirror idea is nice. I like to look at my tank through the side sometimes. It's so much deeper!

My tank is 75g long. So it would be a pretty big piece to fit in and definitely be a little bit of $$$.

I'm not opposed to the DIY technique, but I am a firm believer in paying to have something done right. Like... how much research, shopping around for parts and supplies, shipping, the time to build it, frustration when it doesn't turn out how I wanted and then I'm stuck with something that I don't like. When if I can just pay to have something that I know is done by someone with experience.

The other part is that I really like some of the backgrounds, they look so real and add a really neat concept to the look of the tank. I am with you on a planted tank doesn't necessarily need it, but I think it would really round out the habitaty feel. Right now you can see the power cords to my lights, heaters, and co2 line hanging on the back.

I just think it would look neat to have a rock background to pull it all together.

I guess I should do some research but are there any particular threads or sites with DIY background info that you know of, right off the top of your head?

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
etgregoire
Planted Member

At a quick glance it looks like the DIY method takes several days to build, dry, and repeated applications...

I don't know if this will be an option for me because I am planning on doing this when I move in several months and I will only have one day to make the round trip and set up the aquarium. My drive will be 2 hours one way, so I will want to re-set up the aquarium as quickly as possible to minimize stress to the fish.

Also, I have a center brace on the top of my tank, so I will not be able to do this ahead of time and drop in at the last minute. It seems like most of the demos I've seen so far have people doing it in the tank...
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

If you aren't much of a DIY person, and prefer to buy things, I can understand that.

If it's mostly cords/tubing/etc. that is bothering you, you could simply paint the back (outside) of your tank. I've found a good cleaning/wipedown, and just black spray paint to work pretty well, be fairly easy, and also quite inexpensive. A lot of people have used brush-on latex and other paints with luck as well. I think it looks really great, makes the tank look deeper, and helps the plants and fish colors show (similar to a black/dark substrate)

75 is pretty big. It would take days alone just to glue in individual lava rocks
If you use an epoxy/stryofoam type, a lot of epoxies will cure in 24 hours or so. If you are careful with your measurements, you could build one in segments, get it all set and cured, and then silicone them in right after moving the tank (you would still have to wait for the silicone to cure, but this will probably be an issue with a purchased background as well).

Check out Dendroboard

A lot of people on there with extensive experience doing all kinds of backgrounds, artificial trees, rocks, etc. some great stuff on that site.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
etgregoire
Planted Member

Thanks for the tips. Maybe this isn't an option for me... I guess I didn't really think about the silicon drying as part of the equation. Maybe this will be an option for a future aquarium... :-/
Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe you could keep the fish/critters in the buckets/whatever you traveled in, and hook the filter up to that for an extra day or so while you install the background, wait for it to cure, and then give it a rinse or two.

Some backgrounds (especially if they aren't bouyant) may not need silicone, and may be able to be wedged in, and maybe held in place with epoxy putty (reef keepers use it to attach coral, so it should be safe).

Otherwise, painting the background may be the way to go, just cover the tank to avoid overspray (not an issue if using brush/roller). You don't even have to wait for it to dry thoroughly, as long as you don't touch the back.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Very easy to install, just meassure and cut it to fit.

Here the one I have in my tank. It simple, but adds a lot IMO.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192887
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #10
etgregoire
Planted Member

Cool Jim. Which one is that? Did u have to use silicone/etc to adhere it?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #11
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by etgregoire View Post
I did use silicone, as this was brand new setup, but I put the silicone around the edges, so If I ever do want to pull it out, should be rather simple.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #12
etgregoire
Planted Member

Cool which model/design is your background?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #13
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I think it was this one, it been a while, I would have to go back and look for sure.

http://www.designsbynature.net/produ...ne-bgs/bj31wa/

Since my tank is 6 feet long, I had to order 3 sections. It does get algae on it, and would never try to scrub it off as it will damage the back ground. I got some otos and they keep it very clean for me.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #14
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Anyone ever buy one of these? Just curious how you felt about it, how easy it was to install, etc...
I used one on my 10 gallon shrimp tank a while ago (empty now) it worked out a lot cheaper to buy than make my own . I love it and will be using it for some nano fish in the near future.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #15
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I recommend buying 29g tote from lowe's for like $13 to hold your fish in temporary while you wait for silicone to dry. Make sure you get aquarium safe silicone - GE Silicone 1 which they sell there too.