Plywood/Glass 350G build (in progress)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Turxiat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Plywood/Glass 350G build (in progress)

!!!!!!!!!!!DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is a work in progress! I'm also building a new house and this tank will take me several months to complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I've been obsessing over this tank for the past six months. My girlfriend, friends, and co workers are more than tired of hearing about it. After planning every aspect of this tank that I can think of I've finally started to put it into motion. I have 2 T5HO four lamp ballasts, 10 endcaps, and 8 bulbs (6500k) ordered and on the way (along with my 18 gauge copper wire). And this morning, after working a 12 hour shift all night, I payed $400 cash for a 125 and a 50, both dirty but in good structual condition. Couldn't turn that deal down. Now I'm back at work, chugging red bull (3 hours of sleep) and I'm more excited than ever. Please, please, PLEASE, if you notice something is wrong or that I didn't think about for the love of God tell me. and without further adieu, here is my plan, followed by pics of the tanks and the final plan.

This tank will be an "L" shaped aquarium, but will not be a corner piece. The main tank will be 8 feet long on the back end and will be the only side without glass. The "back" of the short side will be 6 feet long. The front of the short side will be 4 feet long and the front main will be 6 feet long. 2 feet deep and 2 feet wide. The main back (totally plywood) will be built as an outset of a staircase. The short end will extend a hallway and act as a barrier between part of the living room and the kitchen. The filtration will be a 75 gallon sump built out of plywood. It will be housed underneath the staircase. The plumbing lines will run from the tank, through the wall, into the sump. The tank and sump will be waterproofed using Pond Armor. Lighting will consist of eight 54 watt T5 high output lamps mounted in the canopy about 4 inches above the tank. The lights are my main concern as initially I will not have CO2. Will that be too much lighting? Stand will be 4x4s and 2x4s finished with furniture grade hardwood plywood. Canopy will be made of the same plywood and 2x2's as mounts for the lamps/ballasts. After it's built and the outer plywood is all stained all of the seams (stand, tank, and canopy) will be covered in trim. Ideas, criticism, anything.... never built a tank before and I'm paranoid that I'm forgetting something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled_2013-07-06_17-22-31_25.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	170865  

Name:	Resampled_2013-07-06_17-22-35_165.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	170881  

Name:	Resampled_2013-06-04_21-36-40_916.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	170889  

Turxiat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I love your idea, I really do.

But...it seems a shame to do everything pro-style and then use probably old scratched up glass, I think it would be better with pristine glass..
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Turxiat
Algae Grower

Wow. Didn't even cross my mind that the glass might be scratched... That's what I get for over thinking :P I'm going to clean them up when I get off in the morning!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

What material will be used to frame the glass panels. The sketch looks like it might be steel angles? Or are you relying on the silicone joints, and the "frame" is just to be wood trim?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
wsharp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ive used aluminum angles (2x2) on my 120 and man i hope you never have to take them off cause the glass will brake befor you get em off (it added tons of strength and i just painted them black)

just an idea for you idk how well wood would work on the corners

and it hides all the silicone seems really good
wsharp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
FISHYANDY
Algae Grower

How are you going to deal with the flow around the bend
I would say you will need two outlet and two intake
Great idea can't wait to see
I hope you are stocking it with freshwater and tons on plants
FISHYANDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
Turxiat
Algae Grower

There will be no steel frame and the glass panels won't actually touch. The entire tank will be made out of 3/4" plywood that is waterproofed using pond armor two part epoxy and fiberglass. The glass will then be siliconed to the waterproofed plywood. The trim will be added to hide where the plywood joints meet one another. As for the flow, the out flow will be in the corner and I will have 2 returns that will run along the length of both sides in a spray bar method. Also, I cleaned the tanks out this morning and while there are small scratches I am pretty sure that I can buff them out with some cerium oxide.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Very interesting project! Too bad we may have to wait so long to see the final product.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
FISHYANDY
Algae Grower

Sounds good what you stocking in there a small group of fish like neons can't wait until.you start
Old 07-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I think it would be neat to connect both fish tanks via a tube that goes from one tank to the other
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
I think it would be neat to connect both fish tanks via a tube that goes from one tank to the other
it will be one tank. he is taking the two tanks apart and just using the glass.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
FISHYANDY
Algae Grower

Do you think you be able to swim in it
Old 07-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
Turxiat
Algae Grower

I'd really like to have an arowana with some electric blue jack dempseys with some schooling dither fish. Just not sure how that would work out. I'd hate to have a dead aro.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
FISHYANDY
Algae Grower

Arowana would be nice but if die be a right pain that while small fish would be easier and lighter on the pocket
Old 07-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #15
Turxiat
Algae Grower

Definitely broke one of the 6 foot panes of glass taking the big one apart. FML. Got the rest of it apart without any trouble though. Now taking the paint off of the side I didn't manage to destroy. :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.