ADA rocks at landscape supply places?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-22-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

ADA rocks at landscape supply places?

wondering if anybody has had luck in finding nice pieces of ADA style rock, like the seriyuo stone or zebra stones at landscape supply type of places,

there is a local place here called Tommy Rock that deals with large rocks for landscaping purposes. i was thinking of going there to see if i can find some bigger 1 foot high 20 lb chunk size pieces of interesting stone for a large iwagumi style layout.

my lfs has a sort of stones i like but they are all small.
i havent asked yet if they can order any larger size pieces.

have you ever seen any ADA style stones anywhere besides inside an aquarium?

does this ada "seriyuo stone" have a common name?
im trying to find a way to find big pieces, locally and low costing, an internet order would be a bit of a shot in the dark because i wouldnt get a chance to hand pick anything.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)

If you have a rock yard nearby, it is definitely worth going to see if you can find rocks you like, the savings over something purchased at an LFS or online is ridiculous.

I haven't seen any rock quite as nice as the ADA stuff at a landscaping place.
However, I bought a trunk full of two types of hand selected lava rock, that I am very happy with, for $6
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
sostoudt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

just when i was about to give up on finding rocks. i happened upon a small landscape business for ponds and waterfalls they had zebra stone. you almost gaurenteed to have to find a specialty place that would deal with in decorative stones.

p.s. i got 40 pounds for 12 dollars.
sostoudt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostoudt View Post
just when i was about to give up on finding rocks. i happened upon a small landscape business for ponds and waterfalls they had zebra stone. you almost gaurenteed to have to find a specialty place that would deal with in decorative stones.

p.s. i got 40 pounds for 12 dollars.
.30 cents per pound compared to $4 dollars/lb....
ohh wow..
thank you, that gave me something to go on.
looks like im going digging in the yellow pages tomorrow to find a place that specializes in ponds/waterfalls, hopefully i can find just what im looking for.

i have never been to the place i posted above, but i have some feeling they deal more with large amounts of gravel, river rocks and that sort of thing. i dont know if i would be able to pick out 5 or 7 pieces of zebra stone from those guys, but it's worth the phone call to find out anyway.

i like the look of the zebra stone but am picky with it. i like pieces with much more black than white, and without any large white patches. otherwise it looks artificial and like it doesnt quite belong in the tank. i like em real jagged too. so i could spend a while picking them out.

im starting a large, open type black/white theme tank. black background, whitish sand, zebra stones, and all white/black fish, will be interesting.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
MedRed
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

there has to be some place that sells these rocks in the US other than AF. I ran across a thread that had places in europe that carry it.

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/inde...oducts_id=1437

http://www.aquaristic.net/shop.php/s...%20per%20Kilo/

there has to be some sort of geological name for this rock and someone has to collect/carry it.

I'd probably say it's some sort of sedimentary rock of some sort.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!
MedRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was at aquaforest twice.. about a month ago, but wont be able to get back there for a long time.

i got to see the seiryu stone up close in person, it looks awesome.
shouldve probably got it there, but i didnt feel like it.

i would be real happy if i could find out a geological scientifical factual name for that seriyu stone, i like it better than the zebra rock, its more jagged.

i did find a place close by from the google business finder that deals with decorative stones...
Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR
Planted Tank Enthusiast

after hours of research of rocks and zen and bonsai gardens, learning to read in japanese i have concluded that this ADA seiryu stone is some sort of black granite.

i found another place locally that deals in bonsai garden stuff, i might go there and check it out.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
MedRed
Wannabe Guru

granite would also make sense... i said sedimentary because of the rocks ability to raise the ph... but granite can have a lot of feldspar in it which has calcium.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
MedRed
Wannabe Guru

bingo discus... the mystery is cracked. here's a link to some rock in dallas

http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/decorative_rocks.html

I'll also go and visit my local bonsai stores and see what I can come up with.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:05 AM   #10
DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR
Planted Tank Enthusiast

today i went to Nee Hai Bonsai.

it was an interesting place, those bonsai trees are neat stuff.

anyway, they had a small assortment of ying tak penjin stones.
maybe i was wrong, perhaps it isn't a granite. i now believe the seiryu stone to be a limestone of this type. it was a dark charcoal gray with the white veins.
some were bonded together with concrete to form sort of skyscraper shaped stalagtite looking things. i was told that these are hand formed in china.

there was one rock garden display there, about 4'x4' that looked like a "dry iwagumi." with the stones. and some light green mossy ground cover plant. the stones were tall, jagged and narrow. some were almost 2 feet tall and about 8 inches around.

very neat. now at least i have a better idea of what i am trying to look for.
the bonsai place only had stones that were bonded with concrete, i want the raw stones with no concrete. so i will try to find some elsewhere.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR
Planted Tank Enthusiast

check it;
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

this one too.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

interesting..there are a lot of rocks that look similar although formed a bit differently.

while at the bonsai place i asked if there was anywhere else similar stones could be found. he told me of a place on the edge of town with all sorts of funky decorative rock. i will go there soon and see what i can come up with.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #12
skoorbza
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Hope you are successful, Discus. If not, I would try asking local professionals (as you did at the Bonsai place). Fish clubs, landscapers, artisans, anyone else like that you can think of might give you some ideas of where to look in the area.
skoorbza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 03:40 AM   #13
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

The site that DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR linked ( http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN ? ) has some amazing great looking rocks. A few have calcite or limestone, but there are still many different rocks to pick through. They are beautiful!

About 70 miles from me is a huge deposit of light green rocks. I don't remember what they are called now. They are near Badin Lake, NC. I believe that they would look very good in some aquariums. There are also many granite and aluminuim quarries in that same region.

The first gold strike in the US was discovered about 15 miles away in Concord, N.C. In 1799, a 12-year-old boy playing along Little Meadow Creek when he should have been in church found a 17-pound rock, which served as a doorstop in his family's home until it was identified as gold in 1802 the first documented discovery of gold in the new United States. Here are some more info:
http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/nc/ncsites/gold.htm
http://www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/col....gold.rush.pdf
EHEIM PIMP #164 Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042
VICTOR PIMP #1 VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 04:02 AM   #14
wickedj
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Im relatively new to the planted aquariums and i was wondering what type of rocks are safe to use in an aquarium? What to look for?
wickedj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #15
MedRed
Wannabe Guru

i'll go to my bonsai places this weekend and see what's up. limestone would make sense since it hardens the water. I orginally thought these rocks were sedimentary which would fit. I'll know for sure once i get my hands on some. I'm quite the geologist!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.