DIY CO2, bubbles not forming in bottle
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

DIY CO2, bubbles not forming in bottle

I have a dilemma. A long time ago I could make DIY CO2, but the last three tries I have failed. I tried again just a few minutes ago, and I know it's too early to tell if it worked, but I doubt it's going to bubble. Here's what I did:

1) Applied another layer of hot glue to the soda bottle cap and the air tube just to make sure there are no leaks.
2) Put 2 cups of sugar and 1/4 tsp of yeast in the bottle.
3) Filled a small amount of the bottle with cold water, and then filled the rest with hot water, to make it warm.
4) Added Prime.
5) Shook the bottle.
6) Hooked up to tank.

Right now I'm seeing the yeast particles just floating in the mixture. I'm pretty sure this means it's dead. And this was a brand new pack of yeast too! If I'm doing anything wrong, please tell me. Thanks.

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

It takes time. I had a Red Sea version it took 24-36 hrs to start making co2
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
I have a dilemma. A long time ago I could make DIY CO2, but the last three tries I have failed. I tried again just a few minutes ago, and I know it's too early to tell if it worked, but I doubt it's going to bubble. Here's what I did:

1) Applied another layer of hot glue to the soda bottle cap and the air tube just to make sure there are no leaks.
2) Put 2 cups of sugar and 1/4 tsp of yeast in the bottle.
3) Filled a small amount of the bottle with cold water, and then filled the rest with hot water, to make it warm.
4) Added Prime.
5) Shook the bottle.
6) Hooked up to tank.

Right now I'm seeing the yeast particles just floating in the mixture. I'm pretty sure this means it's dead. And this was a brand new pack of yeast too! If I'm doing anything wrong, please tell me. Thanks.
Hi Overgrowth,

I suspect that the hot water is killing your yeast. I had the same problem for several batches of DIY (when I was doing DIY). I found the trick was to fill the bottle with lukewarm (body temp) water then add yeast and shake. Also, I never connected my tubing until the bottle dropped to room temperature to avoid a suction occurring as the bottle cooled and sucking the water out of my tank.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Overgrowth,

I suspect that the hot water is killing your yeast. I had the same problem for several batches of DIY (when I was doing DIY). I found the trick was to fill the bottle with lukewarm (body temp) water then add yeast and shake. Also, I never connected my tubing until the bottle dropped to room temperature to avoid a suction occurring as the bottle cooled and sucking the water out of my tank.
I don't think that's the problem. Firstly, I put a little cool water in the tank before I put in the hot water to balance the temperature. After the bottle's filled up, the top feels warm, but the bottom still feels cool. Secondly, the water at its hottest doesn't exceed 90-93F.

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 12-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

Idk if you're doing anything wrong, But here is what works for me.

-Take 2 cups of sugar & pour hot or warmish water over it (in a bowl or something) then dissolve it whisking your finger in the bowl.
-Once that is done put cold water over it just until it is barely warm & then pour it into the bottle.
-After that pour new warmish water into the bottle until it is almost to the brim
-Take a ziplock bag & put slightly warm water about half way up with the yeast
-lock the bag & shake it around until it is mostly dissolved
-Now pour it into the bottle & you should get c02 in 12-24 hours

& when it comes time to make new c02 I pour maybe 1/3 of the old contents out & add sugar water to the existing mixture (no need to add yeast)
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
I don't think that's the problem. Firstly, I put a little cool water in the tank before I put in the hot water to balance the temperature. Secondly, the water at its hottest doesn't exceed 90-93F.

I do the water at maybe 60ish pretty cold but it always works
Old 12-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also, I use Fleischmann's (sp.) yeast. If there's a yeast that has a higher success rate, could someone please share? Thanks.

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

I heard a lot of people like wine yeast. But I'm using the exact same yeast you're using. diy c02 off the same batch for 1 1/2 months now
Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #9
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, the Fleischmann's yeast has worked for me several times in the past, but I just can't get the yeast to bubble anymore.

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are you using a new package? I would try again but use colder water, the initial start up would be slower but you wouldn't run the risk of burning the yeast & for the tubing to the cap I never use a glue gun.. I just can't get a good seal with it. I used to use sealant but I hated waiting long for it to cure so now I just use super glue...take the tubing & put it in about an inch then put superglue on the top around the tubing & pull down. Works everytime
Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.sok View Post
Are you using a new package? I would try again but use colder water, the initial start up would be slower but you wouldn't run the risk of burning the yeast & for the tubing to the cap I never use a glue gun.. I just can't get a good seal with it. I used to use sealant but I hated waiting long for it to cure so now I just use super glue...take the tubing & put it in about an inch then put superglue on the top around the tubing & pull down. Works everytime
The previous two tries I used colder water than the current attempt, but there were no bubbles.

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 12-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #12
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

You need very warm water to activate the yeast. Cool/cold water won't do it. There are probably as many "recipes" out there as people who use them, but the "proofing" of the yeast is pretty close in all of them. Here's how I used to do it:

Put your sugar in your pop bottle. Fill the pop bottle with the warmest temp the yeast will tolerate (110 F). Shake to dissolve the sugar completely. Pour a small amount of that mixture into a cup (preferably pre-warmed but if it's thin walled plastic like a measuring cup I would skip this step). Sprinkle your yeast into this liquid and give it a gentle stir. WAIT UNTIL THE YEAST IS FOAMING. 10-15 minutes usually. Then add this mixture back into your main bottle. Add your pinch of baking soda now if you want to. Seal and go.

The key is that you're using the SAME mixture to proof the yeast as what it will be living in ever after.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
Kado
Planted Member

I just throw everything in the bottle and shake. Takes a few hours to start, but it works for me every time so far.
Kado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
tbonedeluxe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (111/100%)

I pour in a 1/2 tsp of yeast into my clean bottle.Add a cup of luke warm water to
the bottle and swirl the mixture around in the bottle and wait 10-15 minutes.
I then add my 2 cups of sugar and then fill the the 2 litre bottle 2/3 filled with luke warm water again .I then give it a pretty good shake to dissolve the sugar.
It has started working for me in as little as in hour and as long as 24 hours.Leaks are usually the main culprit for lack of co2 output.
You'll get it. I like this link:
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/09/...intensity.html
tbonedeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Yep I use flieschmanns as well currently and have done the long process as well as the throw it all in from boiling to Luke warm water. The only time it didn't work is when I had a leaky cap.
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.