Cycling Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Cycling Question

Hi Everyone!
I'm think about purchasing a nano tank. Not sure what size yet or what I might put in it. Im thinking maybe the pygmy puffer or some shrimp or some small shrimp depending on size.The question I have is I have 40 gallon thats been up for about a year and a half now. My question is if I take water from my tank and fill the nano with that water will my nano still need to Cycle? Im hoping by duing it that way I can add what ever I want the day I buy the tank?
Thanks
patrick
partobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Majority of bacteria live in the substrate or the filter media. Not much in the water, so it...really won't do much if you move the water. However, if you are able to move some filter media, you should be set for light bioload critters.
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks vivadawolf . I can take a scoop of soil. I have a bag of active carbon I haven't used ill place it in my filter until I get the tank would that work?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anything you place in the current tank, in the filter or the tank can start growing some bacteria. It won't grow much in a short time, but if it will be several weeks until you set up the new tank, and the new tank is a lot smaller, then that amount of bacteria would probably be a great way to cycle the new tank.

Bacteria will live on activated carbon. I just save it for an emergency, though.
Add any sort of sponge, floss, lava rock or bio media to the existing tank as a media for the bacteria to grow on.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Diana
I'm going on a fishing trip with my buddy Ryan on Jan 7th so it will have a few weeks. I don't see me going over 25 gallon if that I don't have much room. I have several pieces of lava rock in my tank. Do they need to be moved to the filter or are they okay just sitting in the tank?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Sitting in tank is fine. Make sure you transfer it from tank to tank, not letting it dry out or washing it in chlorinated water.
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks vivadawolf. Will do I also put some active carden in my filter just now.
Thanks for the help
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

You can jump start the colony with a few products. Dr tims, special blend/ nite outii, tetra safe start were a few recommended which have the nitrospira type of beneficial bacteria to colonize the tank. Moving plants from an established tank and increasing plant density will help tremendously. Mosses generally don't do much in terms of speeding up the nitrate cycle however bringing a thick thatch from an established tank will likely carry the enzymes and biofilm cultures needed in the new tank as well.

Consider the tank full of mini cycles where each must run it's course to colonize. Also, retrieve only the top.5" of gravel if you are transplanting it from an established tank. Aerobic bacteria only lives that far down so no need to go deeper unless you were after the mulm. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks acitydweller. I'll pick up Dr toms if they have it. The lava rock I have, have java ferns on them so ill be transfering rock as well as plants with them. I was just going to put a small scoop or two of soil but thanks for the heads up ill only scoop from the first inch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.