Noob looking for advice on a standard 75
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
dshuld
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Noob looking for advice on a standard 75

Hello all,

I think through reading both here and other sites I've managed to confuse myself. While I'm not new to aquariums I am new to having live plants. SO here's why I'm confused....

Looking at some of the charts some here have posted and other sites it looks like to reach a moderate light level I will need a dual tube t5ho fixture but I also saw mention of the chrome diamond plate double t8 i was looking at a home depot a cple days ago would put me into the moderate range.

What I have acquired over the last two weeks since deciding I wanted to give live plants a try is:

water wisteria
ozelot (one red leaf with red speckle and one green leaf red speckle)
java fern
green wendtii
temple (red)
water sprite

I bought two of each and did a 2 3 6 pattern front to back. Sadly unlike my usual self I didnt do my research before hand and saw the ozelot's in the lfs and thought they looked cool....big mistake on my part but I'm trying to correct that situation now .

From what I've been able to find on the plants I have if what I found is correct it looks like the moderate level will appease all of them...if that level is not correct please let me know though.

So which fixture will actually get me to that level? the dual t5ho or will the diamond plate fixture from home depot suffice as advertised? I don't plan on going high tech with injected co2 but I have been using one cap excel every other day and rather then flourish once a week I've been splitting the dosing to 3/4 cap twice a week....again if you think I should tweak that please let me know.

The current light is just a standard single t8 aquarium strip with a phillips 6500k bulb btw. I did add a 36" strip with a 6500k bulb in it over the ozelots and noticed a difference between them having started to die off and a small rebound so I know I dont have enough light but as I said I'm a little confused between some of what I read.

Thanks,
Don
dshuld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
fish h20
Algae Grower

The lights you already have may work just fine for most of those plants.
fish h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
dshuld
Algae Grower

The strips are both crazy old with kinda dull reflectors. I reread through thread on the diamond plate light and took another look at the charts in there...ended up stopping last night and grabbed one.

After getting it set up I can tell a slight difference in the tank...but not sure if its just because now there is two 48" bulbs or just because its getting better reflection into the tank or both lol.

I also noticed a couple new leaves sprouting from both ozelots ....keeping my fingers crossed on them but most of java ferns I have are gone. The wisteria bunches look better where the plants were getting some light then were the caves were shading so I think theyll end up being ok along with the wendtii.

I changed my light times last night and if you dont giving your opinion that I'd appreciate that as well. Before I had them set to run from 6 am to 12 pm and then 7:30 pm 11 pm. I changed it to 6 am to 9am 12 pm to 2 pm 7pm to 11pm. The new schedule fits my and my roommates schedule so we both have viewing time better but not sure if the multiple cycles will makes things worse then having the two longer cycles.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
fish h20
Algae Grower

I would think three lighting periods would be O.K. but I have never tried it so I couldn't say for sure.
fish h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
dshuld
Algae Grower

Default update

Thought I would update this... the diamond plate light has worked out nicely as well as the 3 light periods. But I do need to play with the on periods since I'm starting to see a little bit of algae growth.

Before my roommate let an apple snail loose I was getting 1 to 3 new leaves every few days peaking out of the ozelots. The wisteria is going crazy, to the point the 4 stems I had were trimmed down to 6 that I left in the 75 and 4 into the 20. All still about half as tall as the 75 when trimmed and about ready for another trimming on a few of the stems in the 75.

The temple has reponded almost as well as the wisteria with producing new leaves every few days or so and has gone from 1/4 the height of the tank to about 5/8 of the height.

I did put 4 2l bottles of diy co2 on there a few weeks ago so I'm sure that has contributed to the growth a little but this past Saturday added 2 more 2l bottles to the mix.