Aquarium water changer to faucet? Never use one before.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
SweetNotice
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aquarium water changer to faucet? Never use one before.

Never in my life have I bought a Aquarium water change that hooks up to a faucet. Being as now I bought a 120 gallon tank (biggest of all that I ever had) when I was pouring water into the tank, it was a painstaking task! My back hurts after carrying 5gallon water jugs back and forward to and from the faucet.

In the middle of that, I told myself I'm going to buy one of those Aquarium water changer tubes that hooks up to an faucet. The problem is, I never use one before and there's quiet a few out there. Which is good? Long lasting? I don't know. Looking for help since I'm going to spend up to $100 for one. Want one to last a few years.

Thanks in advance.
SweetNotice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Racedoc
Planted Member

I use the Aqueon 25' version and it works really well. You can buy an additional 25' section to add to the length if you need (you just cut the portion you need). Makes all the difference with large tank WC.
Racedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
SweetNotice
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedoc View Post
I use the Aqueon 25' version and it works really well. You can buy an additional 25' section to add to the length if you need (you just cut the portion you need). Makes all the difference with large tank WC.
I've been reading about that one, Petsmart and Petco carries it but alot of the reviews say the "T" handle seems cheap and breaks often. I am debating if I should get that one or other ones. So far I've seen 3 of them only.

Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer 50 feet hose
Marina Aqua Vac Easy Water Changer 50 feet hose
Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Water Changer 50 feet hose
Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
prighello
Shrimp Bane

PTrader: (2/100%)

I used a python system for years. It was probably one of the best purchases I made and all the fittings were good quality and trouble free. I'd still be using today if 1) I didn't accidentally leave it behind in a move and 2) I wasn't into nano tanks atm.

I have an Aqueon mini siphon now and while fine it does not appear to be of the same quality as the python was if this helps.
prighello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

how do you guys use these when the water is chlorinated entering the fish tank?
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
I just dose dechlorinator into my aquarium.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

The Python style can be a good value or a waste of money depending on how your house and tank are set up. If you have a drain that is lower than the tank, a simple plastic tube from the hardware with a squeeze bulb added to start the siphon can be a real value. For refills there are many faucets and adapters to add to the tubing which are much cheaper than the Python. The "tee" fitting on most ready made are pretty easy to break and something to avoid if you can do it easy without them. Siphon out, pressure water back is all you need.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
SweetNotice
Algae Grower

Quote:
I use Seachem Prime.

Since I'm going to Petsmart and Petco to get other pet supplies, I'll pick up a Aqueon and go from there. If it goes defective, probably can return it. Aqueon is the only brand available locally. The rest are online order.

Thanks folks
Old 02-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Steve002
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Steve002

I'd be more than happy to give you mine (Python), it's useless as far as I'm concerned and way overpriced for what you get. The bit that attaches to the tap is cheap and poorly made bit of plastic. All it does is give you a valve that either closes to direct the tap flow to the tank or opens to allow the tank to drain. A simple hose is better and easier to use as far as I'm concerned. A light weight drinking quality RV camper hose works really well at 1/2 the price.

Chlorine is a separate issue. Depends on how much you will be introducing into your tank. The moment chlorine mixes with organic material it begins to react with it and itself becomes neutralized. So it depends how much is in your water, how much of a water change you're going to do, and how much organic material is in the tank. You can test your water after a change and see what the level is. You can always add a de-chlorinator but I myself hate adding chemicals to my tank. Smaller more frequent water changes will reduce the problem too.
Steve002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I been using Python well over 13 years with nothing to fix on it.....I add Prime in tank and turn on the water and let it fill
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
SweetNotice
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
I'd be more than happy to give you mine (Python), it's useless as far as I'm concerned and way overpriced for what you get. The bit that attaches to the tap is cheap and poorly made bit of plastic. All it does is give you a valve that either closes to direct the tap flow to the tank or opens to allow the tank to drain. A simple hose is better and easier to use as far as I'm concerned. A light weight drinking quality RV camper hose works really well at 1/2 the price.

Chlorine is a separate issue. Depends on how much you will be introducing into your tank. The moment chlorine mixes with organic material it begins to react with it and itself becomes neutralized. So it depends how much is in your water, how much of a water change you're going to do, and how much organic material is in the tank. You can test your water after a change and see what the level is. You can always add a de-chlorinator but I myself hate adding chemicals to my tank. Smaller more frequent water changes will reduce the problem too.
Thanks for the offer but I have to pass. I'm going to alot of stores today with the lady. Might even stop by Bass Pro Shop and see what they got. But definitely I'm going to get one today at Petsmart or Petco. Filling a 120gallon was not fun, afterwards had to take 2 ibuprofen 600MG x 2. Back hurts like heck carrying 5gallon water jugs over and over.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Since I upgraded to my 80 I feel your same pain. My solution was to get a rubbermaid tote, fill that with treated water and use a small pond pump to fill the tank up with. That way you can treat that water instead of the whole tank.

Pythons work great for filling the tank, but are incredibly uneconomical for draining one. You're flushing as much good water down the drain as you're pulling from the aquarium and if you have to pay for water like most folks do, that gets expensive quick. You can also use the same pond pump that is used for filling to drain the tank, the only downside is you can't do substrate cleanings that way, but you can always use the standard siphon and a bucket for that stuff.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #13
Racedoc
Planted Member

Quote:

I have a 30 gal RO system that I switch over to when I start the tank fill portion of the WC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #14
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Pythons work great for filling the tank, but are incredibly uneconomical for draining one. You're flushing as much good water down the drain as you're pulling from the aquarium and if you have to pay for water like most folks do, that gets expensive quick.
To defeat wasting water...I siphon it out first with the python in tank and other end outside/tub/ wherever you want...then I hook up to faucet and add water in...NO WASTE this way...I don't lose pressure either ...by the time I am done cleaning substrate, trimming plants, 50% water is done....I use the shut off valve when needed (if I am moving slower than the water being siphoned out)...
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #15
cowmilkcandy
Algae Grower

I just connect a garden hose from my backyard to the tank. I use the same hose to siphon out the water. It's way cheaper than buying Aqueon or Python. I got a 50ft for $16.99 at homedepot.
cowmilkcandy is offline   Reply With Quote