My Leo Breeding Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

My Leo Breeding Journal

just recently i decided to try my hand at breeding leos after caring for them for almost 10 years. bred other geckos before, and still have the incubator, and should be able to produce some awesome babies.

i have had an ember (RAPTOR patternless) female for just over a year now, and she is about 2 years old.
i recently purchased a super (snow) RAPTOR male and he should be arriving today.

im going to quarantine the male for a few months, and then the plan is to keep him with the female together in a well-furnished 20 gallon long with many hides (will build all the decor myself in a month or so).
i understand there is a possibility of him overbreeding her and stressing her if they are kept together and with no other females. as far as i have read, this doesnt always happen with a 1:1 group, but can. so i will be keeping a very close eye on both their weights, and both their behaviors. if i notice any signs of stress, he is going to be removed temporarily. ill then get a second female and make it a trio. id rather not have to do this as more females means more offspring, and i dont want to make that commitment just yet.

pics of the male:

pics of the female:

Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Marko, that is a truly stunning Leo. i wish you the best with the project and look forward to following along
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

thank you.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Edub
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hows this going? I used to breed these guys when I was in middle school and would love to see your incubator setup and baby pics if you have any.

I had 2F/1M in my tank, and got a LOT of eggs haha. My male was a GIANT gecko. I fed the newborns baby food and the smallest crickets my LFS could get me, and I pinched the legs off so the babies could have an easier time catching them. I often found it necessary to manually feed the little guys until they got the hang of it. DO NOT keep the babies together, in my experience you can end up with a lot of lost tails.
Edub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

going good, but there really isnt anything that can happen, as the male is still in quarantine. female is healthy and plump. male is getting fattened up. they each got a thawed pinky two days ago. male didnt know what to do with it at first, but after he tasted it he happily scarfed it down.

i hand feed geckos anyway so that wont be a problem. and i have a b. dubia roach colony, so i have a ton of small just-born bugs i can feed.

thanks for the info on the housing. i guess ill need to divide up the larger tanks i have.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Kitty_Kitsch
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hmmm I love the female! I have a rainwater albino and a mystic het raptor (both females) :P I'd love to see some babies off these two in the future!

Fluval Ebi Pimp #28
Cherries! Weeeee!

Assassin snails I think I love you
Kitty_Kitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

introductions between the pluto (the handsome stud) and persephone (my gorgeous girl) were made about a month ago and i came back from spring break to find my female off food, and surprisingly thick-bodied. i bent her back and she is indeed gravid.

the happy couple:
Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Aw , two of the best Leos I've ever seen!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

thanks!
im so excited to see the hatchlings.