The Planted Tank Forum banner

timers for lights

11K views 57 replies 34 participants last post by  driftwoodhunter 
#1 ·
Are all timers the same? My work schedule is such now that my lights are on nearly 12 hrs a day. I use a 48" shop light on my low tech 125, and I'm starting to see algae on the glass as well as some hair algae within the tank. I have a Coralife on my 29 & no algae so far, but still I'd like to use a timer on it.

I see timers at Petsmart made by aquarium companies, but I work at Walmart and we have a large selection of light timers - aren't they all basically the same?

#2 ·
I grabbed a few of those 3-5 dollar timers from wal-mart and have been using them for years on my tanks with no issues. I think sometime the more expensive timers have additional features, but a lot of times you end up paying for a brand name. I just want mine to turn my lights on and off, so the cheap guys work for me.

#4 ·
I have had nothing good to say about those cheap crap Brinks timers. I have gone through probably 4 of them in a year. I just keep bringing them back and exchanging them. The leds go out, or they lose time, or if you unplug them for 2 minutes they lose settings.... If I were to do it again I would avoid them like the plague. I am talking about the $5, 6, 7 ones. Emailed the company - never heard back. YMMV

#6 ·
I have the Brinks timers on my tank and they have been working great for almost a year with no issues. Yes, you'll have to spin the timer around if it gets unplugged for extended times/there is a power outage, but that takes maybe 5-10 seconds to adjust.

#8 ·
I use a digital timer from Lowes and HD. It's a "heavy duty commercial" unit that runs about $17. Has 2 outlets on it but I have a strip plugged in and run about 6 off that.

#9 ·
I use the white and gray $10 timers. Never found a cheaper one and wouldn't use them anyway. Had my two for 2.5yrs, no issues with them.
Lowes, Walmart and Petsmart have them. Backs say "Marineland aquarium" or "aquarium" on them, depending on where you get them. Didn't realize they did until I just checked them to get a picture....

I also buy a three plug to put into the timer, since I have two fixtures on each tank.

#10 ·
Those essentially use the same tech as the Brinks models, just not labeled as an aquarium brand. The nice thing about these timers is the plug is down from the dial, where the Brinks one has the plug on the side, making them difficult to use in the surge protectors that have the side-by-side plugs.

#14 ·
The digital ones are the worst idea ever, they don't realize that maybe it will be a dark space behind the entertainment center that it is plugged in, and oh yea you have to crawl back there and hit 100 buttons to program it. And when the power flicks off, guess whos crawling back there again! Get the brinks mechanical "mini" timers. It's like $4 for the non grounded and $5 for the grounded and you get 15 min intervals. Found at a walmart.

#15 ·
I have to agree on that one. No backlight, and they're SUPPOSED to have battery backups that keep the settings for a short time WHEN THEY WORK. I'm inclined to bring these 3 back to Walmart and trade them for mechanicals. On my list of things I'll probably never get around to doing :)

#19 ·
I have a cheap Woods digital one, it's $13 from home depot.

It has a battery in it, so it's not affected by power, and you can program it comfortably in your hand (unplugged) before you plug it in. It runs 20 different programs and is quite flexible. I've only had it for about 2 weeks, so I can't speak to long term use or reliability.

They also have a 3 prong grounded one at home depot for $20.

#20 ·
oh, I wasn't even considering the digital ones, I've read so many complaints about them here on TPT.
One good thing about working at Walmart - I can return anything I don't like any day of the week without going out of my way - lol (so sad)

#22 ·
#23 ·
+1 and +1 for the Harbor Freight timers & using the 20% off coupon for even cheaper price. They're a little harder to push/pull the timer "pins" because they're so narrow but having 2 grounded (3 prong) plugs per timer they do the job at a price I can live with.

Been using 1 for about 7 months now with no problems. Keeps good time and works as it should.

#24 ·
I have yet to have an issue with mechanical timers. I don't really like the ones with a "pin setup", they usually have a green and red insert that trips a switch. If you don't push the pin down enough, it will not trip the switch. Easy to figure out though. I like the ones that have "blocks" you push down.

I have been swapping my mechanical timers out for digital ones. I have had some issues with a few but most are reliable and have battery back up. My one and only reason for this is some mechanical timers can be just loud enough to irritate me. Especially since I have had a tank in the bedroom for a few years. I sleep incredibly light so it went digital, and after that, I started noticing the noise on other tanks, even though it's in the stand.

Also, are aquarium timers the same as what you find elsewhere...yes. You will often find the exact same timers elsewhere, they just re brand them. No problem with that if they cost the same, they are often a few dollars more.

#28 ·
I have 4-5 diff brinks timers. All work and have worked great for years! I recommend spending a little more for a digital timer. The internal memory saves the time during power outages, so no resetting. For me they have been plug and play. Very simple and reliable.

#29 ·
I see no problem with mechanical timers when the power goes off to warrant the extra money for digital. All I have to do is spin the dial around to correct time .. takes a few seconds. The "pins" or "blocks" stay in the same "timer" positions .. if they didn't then it would be more of a problem. I spend way more time resetting all the digital clocks in the house .. like the microwaves, stove, etc.

I guess if the power went off in the middle of the night then the lights wouldn't come on at the correct time but I figure a few hours shouldn't hurt anything.

#31 ·
The digital timer I got at Target has an internal battery. Not sure how long the battery lasts for but it's only 1 2 prong out but can hold up to 5 preset. If you don't mind the bulk, you can buy the ones they sell for outdoor holiday lighting when they clearance them.

I mainly use the mechanical since the lights are always one every day same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.