Bones as decoration?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Question

Bones as decoration?

Try as I might, I cannot find any information on using bones (turtle shells, skulls, antlers, etc.) in an aquarium. I can imagine that with overly soft water it might be a problem, or if it hasn't been properly cleaned and there is still dead flesh on the bone (ew), but what about a cleaned, preserved bone?

I personally have several sets of antlers that I have a feeling could look AWESOME in a tank, especially if I could get some moss growing from it. My home is in the middle of nowhere, so I tend to find a lot of them 'round spring time ^^. Also, theoretically, might be something good for my poor apple snails to chew on, since their shells have been looking kind of rough.
And just imagine a turtle shell cave! Moss that baby up, and you have a mossy hill even a hobbit would envy.

So guys, whatcha think? Worth the risk, or too much trouble? Anyone do anything of the sort before?
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Bruce_S
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'd be afraid that bones & antlers would rot, flake, fracture, raise the pH of the water and just generally not work out very well. Mind you, I've never tried it.

I work at a public aquarium on weekends, and they've used skulls and bones in tank decor - but they're pretty much always casts.

~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Bones would contain calcium correct ? I dont see it being a problem , but to be safe i would clean them up and place them in a bucket and leave it for a week and then test the params.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I've read of people using antlers and skull bones in tank without issue.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

If your that worried make molds of them!

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
If your that worried make molds of them!

Or coat them in silicone.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #7
Sotty
Planted Member

If the bone is aged you the organic component should be gone. You will be left with mostly hydroxyapatite (Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2).

It will leech both PO4 and Calcium in water. This will be sped up significantly in acidic water. I can not speak to how significant these amounts would be with reasonably timed water changes.
Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
flc
Algae Grower

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
Bones would contain calcium correct ?
Yep- calcium and phosphate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxylapatite
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #9
theshadybird
Planted Member

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
I'd be afraid that bones & antlers would rot, flake, fracture, raise the pH of the water and just generally not work out very well. Mind you, I've never tried it.
A good point Bruce_S, and one of the things that concern me, but I've found horse/cow ribs and vertebrae in the creek behind my home, some of them over a year old, and they'd held together rather well, though the creek is dry for a large portion of the year.
I guess we'll see?

Quote:
If the bone is aged you the organic component should be gone. You will be left with mostly hydroxyapatite (Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2).

It will leech both PO4 and Calcium in water. This will be sped up significantly in acidic water. I can not speak to how significant these amounts would be with reasonably timed water changes.
Thanks for the science approach Sotty :] This is certainly along the lines of what I was hypothesizing, and with the aged, fully dried bones, they ought to be completely "dead" and ought to hold together. That's how fossils are made, right?

Quote:
Or coat them in silicone.
A cool idea, psalm18.2. I wonder if there is a thinner silicone sealant out there you could do this with? Or maybe a way to thin down the silicone yourself? I'd just be sad that moss couldn't be attached, but then again, stark white antlers (or even a small ribcage) stabbing out into the water, as semi-carnivorous fish frolic among them is a rather enticing idea all its own >:}

Quote:
[...] to be safe i would clean them up and place them in a bucket and leave it for a week and then test the params.
Definitely a good idea for anything 'experimental' a practical Aquarist is wanting to add to their aquarium :] Thanks for the advice stevenjohn21!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

If you could use them though i think you could scape it really nice ! Would love to see pics if you do decide to go the bone route !

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #11
theshadybird
Planted Member

I'm surprised more people don't go in that direction, to be honest! But maybe the simple lack of information, along with possibly a lack of access to the bones in the first place could be to blame?
Not sure, but I do know that the cogs are a-turnin' in my head for sure, haha :]

Last edited by theshadybird; 10-12-2012 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: typo
theshadybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Sotty
Planted Member

Bones that are thick (femurs, pelvis, vertebrae) would probably hold up well for a long time. Skulls, for instance, have lots of thin intricate spots that will likely weaken quickly and start to fall apart (months to year time frame that is).

I really like the silicone idea, but would be tough for a skull. What about a couple dips in a good clear polyurethane
Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotty View Post
Bones that are thick (femurs, pelvis, vertebrae) would probably hold up well for a long time. Skulls, for instance, have lots of thin intricate spots that will likely weaken quickly and start to fall apart (months to year time frame that is).

I really like the silicone idea, but would be tough for a skull. What about a couple dips in a good clear polyurethane
I was just about to say some kind of epoxy / urethane coating of sorts. Do they make rhino liner in white? Haha

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Im no chemist but i would think if you found some aquarium safe clear coat of some sort and sprayed that on the thing youd be good to go. It would stop any leeching or anything..
Or, coat it in silicone or somethin like that. Paint it on :P

Eheim Pimp # 434
One 75G Powered by Two 2217's, two 20L Shrimp Tanks, and a 10G QT Tank!
AquariumNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
theshadybird
Planted Member

Took your ideas and did some hunting, and found some sealant terrarium/vivarium and salt water enthusiasts swear by, called Krylon Fusion and Krylon Clear Polyurethane :} They're supposed to work very well on plastics and wood (and much more!). Luckily, there is actually an auto parts store down the road that sells it for only $8.

If it turns out the antlers I have in mind will work in the tank I am building (a 5gal D.Dario tank), I will definitely let you guys know, though it will be sometime around the beginning/middle of November that I would have pictures of it IN the tank set-up. Might also make a DIY thread for them, if there is interest. Fortunately, the antlers I have are only 3-6 pointers, and ought to be small enough to fit :]

Tags
bone, bones, decoration