Trio Wabi Kusa thingie majig
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Requality
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/50%)

Trio Wabi Kusa thingie majig

So I've been really drawn into Wabi Kusa these past few days and saw that my bookshelf looked pretty empty so might as well right? The shelf is a cheapo walmart one and it complements these cups so well.

I'll be going to home depot tomorrow to buy some peat moss and hopefully make my substrate?

I was going to do 1 part peat moss, 2 part backyard soil mixed in with potting mix and 1/4 teaspoon of Potassium Nitrate, 1/32 Mono Potassium Phosphate, and 1/32 CBM. Or is that a terrible idea?

-Cheer, Thi Dang

like how i hooked up the flood light?
ps. these were taken with a phone :C. pay4mycanonany0ne?
Requality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
sugarbyte
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with making wabi kusa but I really wanna see how this turns out. Very cool idea
sugarbyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
ony
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks very smart. Have you considered using UG or other bladderworts? Ive seen some really pretty examples recently, hoping to have a go myself in January.
ony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
greenman857
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

I use peat and compost mixed, which seems to work fine so your mix seems good too.
One thing I've learned is to make the mix the right consistency, not too wet so it is a muddy mess and not too dry so it crumbles, but just right so it hold its ball shape while tying plants. More peat helps the ball hold together. I use some kind of sheet moss to hold the whole thing together (with string as well).
Good luck can't wait to see how they come out!
greenman857 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Requality
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/50%)

Ooh peat is a great idea. I'll be sure to use it next time i go outside and get dirty. So for this wabi ball i used dried Sphagnum moss, garden soil, organic potting mix, kitty litter, and sand. The balls have a very clay like consistency and is able to hold shape without crumbling.

The two big balls are mostly composed of random plants in my backyard, bacopa australias, and surrounded by green moss bought from home depot. The three smaller ones are glosso, hc, and Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides with the bottom being that green moss again.

Moss that i kinda stole from the garden nursery when i went there, but its ok! Does anyone know what type of moss these are? There are some other plants in there which i'm hoping will grow in their emersed state and i can start mass producing these wabi kusa without having to grab plants out of my aquarium.

-cheers
Requality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.