Cherry Barbs Anyone? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #31
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (204/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergreeneye View Post
i was reading this thread and all the info is good i was wondering how many i should put in a 7.9 gal or should i go with a smaller type of fish entirely i just had an ammo spike and lost all my rasboras and am looking to restock with some barbs all your opinions would be grate currently there are two ottos and a molly im getting rid of the molly tuesday
For breeding that tank would be ok, butlong term I think it is too small.

If you really want barbs, iwould look into west africans like Barbus hulstaerti or jae.
msjinkzd is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #32
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Yes! I have a Camera I can use! I will try and add pictures of the fish and a separate breeding tank if I ever get there

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #33
supergreeneye
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ms my lfs doesnt have the butterfly barbs are there any other suggestions for fish i was thinking ether some neons or mabey some skirt tetras
supergreeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #34
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergreeneye View Post
ms my lfs doesnt have the butterfly barbs are there any other suggestions for fish i was thinking ether some neons or mabey some skirt tetras
For a 7 gallon i would say Celestial Pearl Danios, good fish for nano tanks. Skirt tetras are too large but a school of 4 or 5 neons could possibly work

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #35
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

I hope these pictures work. These are a few of the fish i got, sorry if the quality isnt the best but im using what i could get my hands on, its an old canon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1970.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	58683  

Name:	IMG_1969.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	58684  

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #36
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

man that female looks ready to breed! the male too. Beautiful
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #37
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
man that female looks ready to breed! the male too. Beautiful
Ill be setting up a 10 gallon specifically for breeding these guys in the near future. I might try and let them breed in my main tank first before i stress them out again by chasing them around the tank. Ive been heavily feeding them and doing a large batch of frozen Bloodworms today so hopefully that, a slight temp increase and a long duration of lights off will trigger some breeding. Ill keep this thread updated on how the breeding process is going, as well as many pictures.

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #38
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Now that my brood has grown out a bit, I notice that 4-5 of them are really dark and look almost like a red-tailed black shark. I wonder if this is a desirable color and if so if it's possible to breed them for this trait? Any idea?
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #39
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Now that my brood has grown out a bit, I notice that 4-5 of them are really dark and look almost like a red-tailed black shark. I wonder if this is a desirable color and if so if it's possible to breed them for this trait? Any idea?
I do think its possible to breed them for their traits. Look at dogs for example, People took a dog that looked, Say Tan, and bred it with another dog that was Tan To try and get another Tan dog... I don't know how clear that is but i believe it would work with fish, so in terms of fish, take 2 opposite sex fish that have desirable traits, breed them and the chances of having a fish with the same traits is pretty good.

I do believe it is called Selective Breeding

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #40
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Hahaha, my tanks light has been out for about an hour, i flicked on the room's light and saw them mating, what luck! i've had them for 3 days now, since i dont have the breeding tank set up i dont think any will survive but it's good to know that they are ready and willing to breed!

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #41
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

I bred mine to be redder and have long fins. Here is a male:

Name:	cherry barb male.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	58706

I am sure that you will get them to breed in your tank, but the other fish (especially the cories) will love the free caviar!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
I bred mine to be redder and have long fins. Here is a male:
Attachment 58706

I am sure that you will get them to breed in your tank, but the other fish (especially the cories) will love the free caviar!
Im sure my cories had a blast last night! but that fish looks great! i like how you bred them specifically for longer fins and a redder color. Beautiful fish

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #43
Siggav
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had 6 cherry barbs, only one left now but she's almost 7 years old. I beat the statistics and ended up with 6 females so no breeding, very easy fish to care for and fun. I'm not going to get more for a bit because I've had them for years now and have penguin tetras instead as my main schooler in my 50g tank but yeah cherry barbs are awesome little fish.
My 4g planted nano
Fauna: 3 amano shrimp
Flora: hairgrass, pgostemon helferi, staurogyne repens
Siggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #44
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggav View Post
I had 6 cherry barbs, only one left now but she's almost 7 years old. I beat the statistics and ended up with 6 females so no breeding, very easy fish to care for and fun. I'm not going to get more for a bit because I've had them for years now and have penguin tetras instead as my main schooler in my 50g tank but yeah cherry barbs are awesome little fish.
I can totally agree, i havent had these for long but they are already becoming one of my favorite fish

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #45
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Im going to try and set up their breeding tank today, ill get video or pictures of it when im done

-Joe (Looper 2012)