Cherry Barbs Anyone? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

now to breed these little guys how should i go about it?
Should i take them out of my larger tank and set up a 10 gallon and put in say a male and 2 females, java moss the heck out of the tank? Also what should i do to trigger breeding behaviors?

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (204/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

good food and clean water will trigger behavior. They are egg scatterers, and will voraciously eat their own eggs and fry. Because of this it is best to set up a breeding tank, and have another tank available fro either moving the fry, or the parents.
I put latchhook mesh in a u-shape in the bottom of a small breeding tank (5g). I put a lot of moss on top of the mesh. This way, as the barbs drop the eggs, they fall through the mesh. It is easy to lift the mesh to see if there are eggs, and when there are, the parents can be removed, and the mesh lifted out to raise the fry.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
good food and clean water will trigger behavior. They are egg scatterers, and will voraciously eat their own eggs and fry. Because of this it is best to set up a breeding tank, and have another tank available fro either moving the fry, or the parents.
I put latchhook mesh in a u-shape in the bottom of a small breeding tank (5g). I put a lot of moss on top of the mesh. This way, as the barbs drop the eggs, they fall through the mesh. It is easy to lift the mesh to see if there are eggs, and when there are, the parents can be removed, and the mesh lifted out to raise the fry.
I like your method, i might try it and see how it goes, thanks

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

msjinkzd, I would love to see a picture of that latch hook if you have one. I mean in the tank - when you say U-shape is it upside down? Or...I'm just trying to get a visual on it. I have plenty of cherry barbs! HELP! But I was thinking toward the future. I'd like to breed some flag fish.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

I dont have a current picture, so i made a REALLY fancy drawing (laugh away, the tank lights are off).

I put moss int he middle. Having it in the "U" shape gives the fish swimming room and allows for the eggs to fall through. Building a false bottom out of mesh works too, but this is SUPER easy to remove and poke around to check for eggs
.Click image for larger version

Name:	bad mesh drawing.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	58588
Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #21
m00se
Wannabe Guru

No that's great - makes a goof proof (almost!) way to remove the parents too.

YOU WIN THE DRAWING CONTEST TOO!!

:-)

Thank you
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #22
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Can you tell I have a bachelors in the fine arts (no, seriously, I do)? LOL, clearly, there was not digital arts when I was in college!

Hope it helped

And yes- makse it very easy to get the parents out of the tank

Last edited by msjinkzd; 12-09-2012 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: grammar, sheesh
Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
I dont have a current picture, so i made a REALLY fancy drawing (laugh away, the tank lights are off).

I put moss int he middle. Having it in the "U" shape gives the fish swimming room and allows for the eggs to fall through. Building a false bottom out of mesh works too, but this is SUPER easy to remove and poke around to check for eggs
.Attachment 58588
You missed your true calling!
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #24
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I kept a group when I first started with freshwater years ago, they were great little fish!
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #25
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

The pre-historic days, in the time before laptops & lattes, we would condition the female(s) in a tank with marbles covering the bottom. When the female(s) were gravid the males were added. After the spawn all adults were moved out. The eggs that fell between the marbles survived.

The downside today is no one under 50 even knows what a marble is. I think all the marbles we had as kids must be in museums.

In my 40 I have patches of Taiwan Moss growing at the base of my crypt patches. Just enough cover for baby shrimp and the occasional fry. I do take a Darwinistic approach to that tank.

Last edited by DogFish; 12-11-2012 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: sp
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 AM   #26
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

i was going to suggest marbles, as well, but it is easier to keep the tank bottom clean using my SUPER FANCY $1 latch hook method, lmao.

p.s. I still ahve a 5g bucket of marbles- I use them to spawn synodontis cats
Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #27
m00se
Wannabe Guru

I traded all my cat's eyes for steelies....sigh
Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #28
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Cherry barbs are one of my favorite fish. I recently lost all of mine, I have horrible luck with them. I'm guessing it my LPS's cherry barb supplier, as that's where I got all of mine, about six months ago. The females dropped like flies, some for apparently no reason. The boys all schooled together in the end, and I was going to set up a species tank for just them, so I moved them all back to the QT tank, and then they all came down with ich and died within a day or two.
I miss them, they were such awesome fish!
When I find another supplier, I'm going to snatch more up!

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #29
supergreeneye
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i was reading this thread and all the info is good i was wondering how many i should put in a 7.9 gal or should i go with a smaller type of fish entirely i just had an ammo spike and lost all my rasboras and am looking to restock with some barbs all your opinions would be grate currently there are two ottos and a molly im getting rid of the molly tuesday
supergreeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #30
zankotsu
Planted Member

My 4 LF cherries have survived a 4 hour car ride and one of them I found dried up on the floor. I caught her just in time and she was able to be revived and rejoin the tank. Now I can't even tell which of them made the jump.
zankotsu is offline   Reply With Quote