Has anyone been to the ADA gallery in Japan?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

Has anyone been to the ADA gallery in Japan?

I'm planning a trip to Japan sometime in 2013 and would love to visit the ADA Gallery. From their website, it gives some directions but it seems pretty vague. I know that they're only open on Sundays or holidays so I plan to go on a sunday.

My question is, has anyone been there? How would one get there from Tokyo? Do they sell any stuff there? I would love to pick up some ADA stuff direct from the source!

Another question, what would you say the average cost for 2 people for a week in Japan, excluding flights? We'll probably be in tokyo most of the time except for sunday trip to ADA HQ.

Thanks for all the help!
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
I'm planning a trip to Japan sometime in 2013 and would love to visit the ADA Gallery. From their website, it gives some directions but it seems pretty vague. I know that they're only open on Sundays or holidays so I plan to go on a sunday.

My question is, has anyone been there? How would one get there from Tokyo? Do they sell any stuff there? I would love to pick up some ADA stuff direct from the source!

Another question, what would you say the average cost for 2 people for a week in Japan, excluding flights? We'll probably be in tokyo most of the time except for sunday trip to ADA HQ.

Thanks for all the help!
Going to Tokyo to Niigata costs $125 one way, per person, and takes 2 hours.

From the Shinkansen station, you will likely have to take a taxi (I don't remember if there is a bus service).

I have not been there, but it was too much of a hassle (and I lived closer to Niigata than Tokyo).

For 2 people, staying in Japan, no airfare, it will depend mainly on your accommodations. If you are staying at a business hotel, you are looking at about $150 per night. 6 nights (7 days) is $900, plus food (budget about $25 per day, per person).

7 * 25 * 2 = $350

$1250 for accommodation and food, excluding any other money you wish to spend on traveling (i.e. to Niigata, local trains, etc) and any shopping/entry fees (to attractions, some temples, etc).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Stinkmonky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

http://m.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pa...ukushima-video
Stinkmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkmonky View Post
Niigata earthquake centre only experienced a level 1 earthquake....the city is not particularly close to the epicentre.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
Kado
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yeah Niigata isn't the easiest place to get to. Its kinda out in the country, in the winter that area has some nice ski resorts. I would like to go there some day, just not really sure my wife would fancy driving all the way out there just to see some planted tanks.
Kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
HAK
Algae Grower

I went this past January, and yeah you need to take a 2.5 hour train ride which is pretty amazing because you are on a bullet train going through the mountains.

You do need to take about a $35 cab to get there. I don't think they sell equipment as it is mainly a gallery, but they do sell some sweet merch there like tshirts, pins, books, calendars, etc. They gave me like 4 huge posters for free also. I think its worth it because the building itself is pretty amazing and I even got see Mr. Amano but he was on his way out.

Highly recommended. I didnt stay in Niigata, but next time I would.
HAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

you could also check out the Sumida aquarium at the Tokyo Skytree, it has the world's largest nature aquariums, I am sure we are all familiar with.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
iscerus
Algae Grower

Since you're doing at least 1 round trip via shinkansen and regular train (works on some buses as well) travel, the 7-day JR pass is worth it. You have to purchase that pass outside of Japan.

It would be nice if the JR pass worked like a SUICA...man I loved that card when I was living there.