Canister Filter Info?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
rtfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Canister Filter Info?

I am new to the hobby and running a 15G with an HOB for the last two months. I bought a 40G breeder off the forums from a local and it has been suggested I do a canister filter vs hob for this setup. Problem is I know nothing about canister filters. I am looking for information/instruction on what I need to setup a canister filter. Do they all come with the hoses and intake and outtake parts or do I need to buy that all separately?

Thanks
rtfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2014, 02:28 AM   #2
Kareen
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Go to Amazon.com and get the SunSun HW-302 3-stage cnaister filter it comes w/ all the parts but you'll need to buy some filter pads for it and some bio-media.
Kareen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 02:41 AM   #3
Kareen
Planted Member

This may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A4T...314B22D809B66A
Kareen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 03:19 AM   #4
Midnighttide102
Planted Tank Obsessed

Canisters are nice but it's not mandatory u go that route if your not comfortable you can just as well use a Hob like a marineland bio wheel or a aqua clear 70 something your use to maintaining the Rena xp series canisters are a good choice they come with all neseasery parts I've been running 3 of them on my tanks for years and have never had issues with any of them Good luck keep us updated on your choice
Midnighttide102 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
rtfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareen View Post
Go to Amazon.com and get the SunSun HW-302 3-stage cnaister filter it comes w/ all the parts but you'll need to buy some filter pads for it and some bio-media.
That is what I am looking for. None of the other canisters seem to show or tell you they come with the lines and the intake etc that go IN the tank. They just show you a canister. Looks like the SunSun HW-302 also has a pro option which comes with pads and media. I'll keep digging.
rtfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
DayOlder
Wounded Warrior

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've had the sunsun 302 from Amazon for I think 4 months now with no problems except you can forget the skimmer, it comes with a plug so just block it off. Mine also came with bioballs which I didn't use. I would replaced them with either Matrix or Eheim Substate Pro. There are numerous Utubes showing how to set it up, the instructions it comes with are pretty bad. I also have a Eheim and its instructions were just as bad.
DayOlder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
mattinmd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfish View Post
That is what I am looking for. None of the other canisters seem to show or tell you they come with the lines and the intake etc that go IN the tank. They just show you a canister. Looks like the SunSun HW-302 also has a pro option which comes with pads and media. I'll keep digging.
Most of the canister filters come with lines, intake, and return. Many come with media, but not all.

Someone already pointed out the sunsun...

Take a look at the 4th picture of the Fluval on Amazon:
Amazon.com : Fluval 406 External Filter : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Fluval 406 External Filter : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies

Or the description of the Eheim classic:
Amazon.com : EHEIM Classic 250 External Canister Filter : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : EHEIM Classic 250 External Canister Filter : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies

"Accessories included: spray bar, inlet pipe, hose and installation accessories
Comes complete with filter media (EHEIM Mech & Substrat Pro) and valves"
mattinmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 03:04 AM   #8
caique
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Eheim 2217

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...er-filter.html
caique is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #9
GoodOldDays
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
Ditto; comes with everything you need. has a long proven track record. Parts are available. For that price at Kens, you get free shipping.
I use a 2217 on all my 40Bs and put a pre filter sponge over the intake. I then add a small Aqueon HOB, usually the model 30 and run it w/o a pr filter. The HOB filter gathers most of the larger crud and is easy to clean in tap water while the bio in the 2217 keeps the bacteria alive. I change the Eheim once every 7/8 weeks.
GoodOldDays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.