fabco nv 55 open/closed fixable?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
vnghost
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

fabco nv 55 open/closed fixable?

equipment gurus: i bought a 2 stage reg with 3 fabco nv 55 attached. i was only planning to use 2 of the NV and so did the previous owner. so in the possession of the previous owner, it was closed all the way as a shutoff, while the other 2 ran. problem is the nylon knob is free spinning now and i cannot adjust co2. since then, i took that problem NV out and plugged the manifold with a 1/8th plug. i tried tightening the 2 allen screws in the problem nv but cannot get it to stop freespinning. it will turn and turn and never have enough resistance to actually stop turning into a closed position. im not going to use it closed but want it to function properly. is it salvageable?
vnghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

1. It's just the Allen screw at the end of the knob that makes it hold onto the valve. The other is just a set screw so it stays put and doesn't turn.
2. It could be broken. The NV-55 isn't supposed to be used as a shut-off valve.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
vnghost
Planted Member

Thanks for the reply. I think the previous owner had it closed all the way for a long time. I tightened the screw on the end of knob and that screw is also free spinning like it is stripped. I'm hoping someone knows a trick to these things but I think it's not salvageable any more.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

Take the white knob off and try putting a drop of super glue in the threads of the nylon. (let dry) It might let you use that Allen screw to at least see if you can open the valve.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Thanks for posting this. A perfect storm of the good kind.

Read this post and asked DH about Allen wrenches and he got out his set for me. The smallest standard one fit the bolts and I was able to take the plastic knob off and really look at mine. It hadn't sunk in that the bolt closest to the fitting was a locking one. Oops. Now the knob works as it ought to.

Is there any reason you couldn't take off the plastic cover and use pliers to see if it can move?
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #6
vnghost
Planted Member

I haven't attempted to take the knob off yet and have not attempted the super glue trick. Currently trying to solve other problems with my co2 unit but will try as soon as I take care of other priorities first.