Best Aquarium Stand for a 20 Long
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
FPA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Best Aquarium Stand for a 20 Long

Hey guys,

First post!! I'm getting ready to set up a 20 gallon long tank and I'm looking for a sweet stand to go along with it. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

There are a lot of really cool DIY styles, but I don't think Id have most of the tools necessary in order to pull that off

Please

Thanks!!
FPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have one of these stands under my 29. It's rock solid. There are adjustable feet on the bottom so you can level it.
http://www.petco.com/product/119923/...ank-Stand.aspx
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
don.dagg
Algae Grower

Amazingly I have my 20L on top of one of the UV Fireplace heater things. You know, they look like a portable fireplace with the logs and flames with the UV heater. the 20L fits perfectly on top of it. And I have my flatscreen tv mounted on the wall about 8 inches above the top of the aquarium. Really nice at night to have the fireplace flames on and the aquarium on while watching tv.
Sunsun Pimp #80
don.dagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Before folks can really begin to make really helpful suggestions, you may need to define what you think is "cool" since that means so many different things to different people. What do you like? Sleek modern look like Formica? Warm, gentle look of word grain? Jazzy look of pink paint? What's cool to you?
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
goodbytes
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPA View Post
Hey guys,
There are a lot of really cool DIY styles, but I don't think Id have most of the tools necessary in order to pull that off
I don't know how much know-how you've got on designing and building things but at the big box home improvement stores they'll cut the lumber for you for about 25 cents a cut and at the Orange one they don't even charge me for it half the time. Just go in with your plans drawn up beforehand and figure out how long each of the 2x4s you purchase need to be and how many based on the segments in the plans in order to minimize waste. Then just tell the guy what lengths you need cut out of each 2x4.
From there all you need is a power drill and some bits which can be gotten for probably about 20$ total at Harbor Freight. And possibly a miter box+saw combo which costs about $9.00 if you're going to miter the joints. Sandpaper and hand sanding blocks also only cost a few dollars. If you've never done anything like this before then there is no time like the present to learn how and no better way to learn how than by doing. Taking into account the minimal tools you will need to buy, the lumber, and paint or stain you would more than likely still save money over buying a prefabricated stand.
goodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 04:52 AM   #6
StrangeDejavu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
I don't know how much know-how you've got on designing and building things but at the big box home improvement stores they'll cut the lumber for you for about 25 cents a cut and at the Orange one they don't even charge me for it half the time. Just go in with your plans drawn up beforehand and figure out how long each of the 2x4s you purchase need to be and how many based on the segments in the plans in order to minimize waste. Then just tell the guy what lengths you need cut out of each 2x4.
From there all you need is a power drill and some bits which can be gotten for probably about 20$ total at Harbor Freight. And possibly a miter box+saw combo which costs about $9.00 if you're going to miter the joints. Sandpaper and hand sanding blocks also only cost a few dollars. If you've never done anything like this before then there is no time like the present to learn how and no better way to learn how than by doing. Taking into account the minimal tools you will need to buy, the lumber, and paint or stain you would more than likely still save money over buying a prefabricated stand.
+1. My Dad is the handy one so he built this twin 10g stand for my betta tanks. All the materials set me back a whopping $19, if I recall.

StrangeDejavu is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
nugzboltz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeDejavu View Post
+1. My Dad is the handy one so he built this twin 10g stand for my betta tanks. All the materials set me back a whopping $19, if I recall.

That's a very nice, simple stand. Personally, the thing that would keep me from a DIY stand is not knowing how much weight it could support.

nugzboltz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
FPA
Algae Grower

All good points. I love modern furniture, but for something like this I think I'd be fine with a nice, plain wooden stand. Does anyone know of proven designs that can withstand the weight? The tank would be on carpet...

My biggest request would be a set of plans that include a door so I can hide the CO2 tank, filter, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I see a lot of people talking about their DIY stands in journals, but few seem to have a walkthrough.

As far as equipment, sounds like I'd just need a miter box+saw combo to miter the joints. I figured I'd need a lot more, never had lowes or whatever cut wood for me.
FPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There are some good videos on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4Y9AYuwcQ
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
StrangeDejavu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugzboltz View Post
That's a very nice, simple stand. Personally, the thing that would keep me from a DIY stand is not knowing how much weight it could support.
Thanks, it does its job nicely. It's been supporting the tanks for 8 months now so i'd say it's solid. He also made, from scratch, the stands his 55g and his 125g are on so I wouldn't be too worried about DIY.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Pics above are not so great.
The wood is not sitting on top of each other. The weight is transferred from horizontals to vertical via screws (nails... glue... whatever!)

The horizontals should be sitting on top of the legs so the weight goes through wood-to-wood. Screws etc hold them together, but are not holding the weight.
Verticals can be notched to hold horizontals for the lower tank, or the verticals can be doubled up, a short one under the lower horizontals. In house construction this is used to support windows and is called a cripple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium stand concepts.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	386505  

Diana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
SueD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I use these stands. Easy to put together and really solid.

http://www.petco.com/product/101393/...tandsFurniture
SueD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
stand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.