fluval peat granules?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
scotty82
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/92%)

fluval peat granules?

Has anyone tried this before? Any luck with consistency or how often you have to replace it with new? I'm thinking of this (fluval peat granules), Pura Amazon Media, or Sera Super Peat. Just wondering what all luck or any people have had using products like these.
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I you must have peat moss in pellet form, OK, but I get the garden store variety (no ferts or surfactants) a lot cheaper.
In the filter, I use nylon stockings for loose media.
I have used the fine peat moss that is sold for gardening in the tank as substrate. I did not like it, too fine, too light weight. When it got disturbed it settled out on top of the leaves and driftwood.
Probably would work just fine as a dusting under the substrate.

In the filter I ought to change it out more frequently, maybe once a month, but I have gotten lazy, and just leave it in there. I do not currently have any of the super-picky fish that require it.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
scotty82
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/92%)

Ya it's for my canister. I don't have any of the super picky fish either, but in my new hardscape I'm going to have some limestone rock and wanted something to help bring the hardness down just a little. Since my tap water is already liquid rock. Never thought about just getting the garden stuff and putting it in a stocking, I like the idea of that. Like you said it will be cheaper.

So you think changing it out once a month would be alright. I'm down with that, it's not to much work and I clean my canisters out once a month anyways.

Thanks for the input.