Flourish Comp (once or twice weekly?)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
RD3557
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Flourish Comp (once or twice weekly?)

Running a 50G low light/low tech (2 x 48" T5NO 54w total). Currently have 8-10 various Anubias plants. I've been dosing Flourish Comp 1 x weekly following wc's. Results have been ok, but curious to see if it would be ok to start dosing 2 x weekly. Algae is currently not a problem/issue in the tank. Also, started dosing Excel daily about 5 days ago. Thoughts/recommendations appreciated.
RD3557 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I believe that excel was/is the cause of many of my anubias melting and some just rotting away to mush.

I'm not an expert so take that for what it is worth, but I never had problems with them for months beforehand and haven't had any problems since about 2.5 weeks after i stopped using excel. JMO
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
RD3557
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
I believe that excel was/is the cause of many of my anubias melting and some just rotting away to mush.

I'm not an expert so take that for what it is worth, but I never had problems with them for months beforehand and haven't had any problems since about 2.5 weeks after i stopped using excel. JMO

Interesting. I've read posts by members who've seen substantial growth/health improvements w/ the use of Excel (not to say you're incorrect). I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the Anubias over the next few weeks to see how they respond/adapt to the product.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD3557 View Post
Interesting. I've read posts by members who've seen substantial growth/health improvements w/ the use of Excel (not to say you're incorrect). I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the Anubias over the next few weeks to see how they respond/adapt to the product.
LMFAO-right, get one bit of advice one way and another the opposite! welcome to planted tanks(or at least excel)!! Like I said I'm still new and I have no evidence that Excel caused the trouble...but it is what I choose to believe so I won't be using it again. FYI-my crypts and DWL had no ill effects
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
RD3557
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
LMFAO-right, get one bit of advice one way and another the opposite! welcome to planted tanks(or at least excel)!! Like I said I'm still new and I have no evidence that Excel caused the trouble...but it is what I choose to believe so I won't be using it again. FYI-my crypts and DWL had no ill effects
Ha ha.......exactly. I usually read anywhere between 40-50 posts/titles per topic so that I can weigh the majority of opinions before I do something with/to my tank. There seems to be a lot of disagreement on topics like this one. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

When I was running low tech tanks with full fish load (meaning fish food was one source of plant nutrients) I found they needed potassium and iron first, then started Excel.

I would not double the dose of Comprehensive. I would start a low dose of macros, depending on how much fish food you give your tanks.
Lots of fish food = lots of N and P already getting added, so skip these. Just add K.
Very little fish food = probably not much N or P, so add N, P and K.
As for iron, you might find that as the plants start growing better they will need more iron than is in Comprehensive, so you might want to add iron.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #7
steveo
Algae Grower

Running a 56 gallon column low light aquarium (marineland double brites-2 strips). Plants are vals,crypts and anubius. Use RO doctored such that kh and gh are 3 and ph is 7.

I Dose with Flourish Complete once a week. During the middle of the week I change out 5 gallons and add about an 1/8 of a cap more. I also use Flourish Excel every other day and Flourish Trace 2 times a week. My plants are looking freakin great!!
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.