API Algaefix...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

API Algaefix...

Well, i might have just mabey wasted my money but i went ahead and bought it, im tired of Algae and green water and i cant get a UV sterelizer right now, the label says wont harm plants or fish and i dont have any shrimp or anything, so im figuring what harm could it do? im thinking of adding some dechlorinator. The only thing im worrying about is if it contains copper, theres no ingredients so im a bit worried about that. Has anyone had success with this?

BTW: the green water and algea is caused by Direct sunlight, i dont have any issues with excess nutrients in the water column.

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

If no one's got info on it thats fine ill return it and get some ottos or something, id rather not risk it without having proper knowledge (id have asked the petsmart people but most of them don't know anything about the merchandise they sell)

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

It works well, but it will kill your shrimp, if its just green water you have, change water like a mad man over a weeks period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

It will pretty much 100% kill shrimp and i've found it effective.

Just so you know otos won't do much about green water.
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
It will pretty much 100% kill shrimp and i've found it effective.

Just so you know otos won't do much about green water.
I know ottos cant help green water but im getting a good deal of algea on the glass closest to the window, ill give it a shot, i dont have shrimp so i think ill be ok, my biggest fear is it will kill my snails

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man if its just green water and a little gda or gsa, just do water changes and increase c02 if you have it. Put a picture of your tank. Also how long has this tank been running?

Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
Man if its just green water and a little gda or gsa, just do water changes and increase c02 if you have it. Put a picture of your tank. Also how long has this tank been running?

First off if this posts it's a miracle (I'm on my ancient iPod) second a pictures not currently possible. The camera I had had a cable to connect it to my computer and it is broken, so I ordered another one, to make a long story short my camera isn't working with my computer. My tank has been running for almost 5 months now and it has been a constant battle with algae, never had to deal with direct sunlight before. It's not like it hurts my fish but it's just purely frustrating how I've always had crystal clear water and now it's green. I have had a little diy co2 goin but I don't have certain parts for it. Honestly it's just sook unbelievably frustrating. Sorry for ranting but I'm sort o glad I got that out

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Also I hope to get the cable or a better camera near or for christmas

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
dmagerl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

This was posted over on The Barr Report. Its probably way more than you wanted.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...light=algaefix
dmagerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #10
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
This was posted over on The Barr Report. Its probably way more than you wanted.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...light=algaefix
Wow, that's a lot of info. Looks like I'm not going to use it. The booklet said that it contains a chemical that is not suitable for invertebrate. Ugh, absolutely frustrating. I need so many things but have such little money! I have enough saved for an ehiem 2217 and now I need something that can help me with the green water. I'm thinking I'll try large water changes and see how that goes before I buy anything more. I'd like a uv sterilizer though. Why does this stuff have to be so freaking expensive! Again I apologize for ranting about this, it's just sooooooo frustrating

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #11
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get your filter, no need for a uv filter. I run very heavy light 2 150w MH and I have 0 algae, it's all about the water changes and filtration

Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #12
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
Get your filter, no need for a uv filter. I run very heavy light 2 150w MH and I have 0 algae, it's all about the water changes and filtration

Hey just wanted to say thanks, I've been a pain in the butt, it's just that it's something that bothers me a good deal. But I'm definatley getting the filter and I do weekly water changes but this coming week I'm probably going to do a HUGE trim and get every leaf with algea on it out, scrub all the rocks with my trusty tooth brush and do a big ol water change. Over the course of the week I think that I should do 2 more 25 or 30% changes and keep that room dark for a day or two, with the tank light on of course, I'll see if that helps, also I'm going to be getting rid of peppered corys and getting ottos so that should help with algea on the glass

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do 50 to 80% water changes. So what size tank and what light do you have?

Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Ottos wont touch glass algae. Its too hard for them to scrape off.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Ottos wont touch glass algae. Its too hard for them to scrape off.
Alrighty then so i might as well just keep the peppered corys because they will be an absolute pain to get out of my tank.

-Joe (Looper 2012)