Pet store for trading crabs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Pet store for trading crabs

Before I started making random phone calls, I thought that some of you knowledgeable about the area might be able to help.

I have quite a few juvenile Geosesarma terrestrial crabs that I produced in my two tanks. I thought that I had someone interested in the whole lot for resale, but that may have changed. I would like to trade these with a pet store for credit towards fish supplies. Their care is straightforward and they make very easy, low maintenance pets - but I want to make sure they go to a place that has an attentive staff.

Anyway - if you know of any recommendations of places I can contact, please pass them along.

Also - if you are in the NYC area and want to give them a try - I would love to trade them for some aquatic plants when the time comes. Or, I can make someone local a deal on a group of youngsters.
rozdaboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you are not familiar with them - see this link for pictures: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=197701

There is some care info in this thread:http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=15
Old 11-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash

Wow, these are gorgeous.

The only three stores I've seen stock any crabs at all (red-claw crabs) are a Petland Discounts, a Petsmart and Aquastar in Chinatown.

If I were you, I'd take a walk to all five Chinatown LFSs and ask them. At least two have the capacity to set up a proper crab tank, especially Pacific.

Directory: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...29#post2084829
Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
MrBrongher
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hiya,

You might try Pet Goods on Central ave. I spoke with them a while ago and they said they'd buy baby bristlenose plecos from me. I never followed up because I traded them to Zoorama, on E. Tremont ave in the BX, and you might want to try them too.

Also, those crabs look super duper cool and I would give you many plants for them.
MrBrongher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

They do look super cool. While I dont have many plants to trade. (unless you want a bunch of asian ambulia) I would love to buy one or two
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
jellie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

I've been debating making the jump to Vampire crabs for months.... and now you tease me with this. Your EBI looks amazing. I may have to pick your brain
Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrongher View Post
Hiya,

You might try Pet Goods on Central ave. I spoke with them a while ago and they said they'd buy baby bristlenose plecos from me. I never followed up because I traded them to Zoorama, on E. Tremont ave in the BX, and you might want to try them too.

Also, those crabs look super duper cool and I would give you many plants for them.
Thanks for the advice. I will check them out. I have a number of babies ready, and more growing up - so I would be happy to send some your way for plants in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
They do look super cool. While I dont have many plants to trade. (unless you want a bunch of asian ambulia) I would love to buy one or two
Definitely. Even though they are young, they are still pretty straightforward to sex - so I could do my best guess at a pair. Or if you just want one, I recommend a male - as they are larger and brighter colored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellie View Post
I've been debating making the jump to Vampire crabs for months.... and now you tease me with this. Your EBI looks amazing. I may have to pick your brain
Any time. There are tons of really cool plant options for a tank like that, including the miniature orchids which are really cool once blooming.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (331/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

I can probably sell every one of them off for you in an instant. How large are they? 1/2 an inch?

-Gordon
gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Gordon. The Red Devils are between 1/4-3/8" inch. The largest one is nearing 1/2 inch - but not quite there. But all are molting regularly and gaining color. At this point they are 3-5 months. The Mandarin crabs are a little larger than a 1/4" and about 3 months. If you think you can give me a hand - shoot me a PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #10
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

If anyone from NYC is interested in these, shoot me a line and I will set some aside. IMO a great, reasonable price for CB crabs.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozdaboff View Post
If anyone from NYC is interested in these, shoot me a line and I will set some aside. IMO a great, reasonable price for CB crabs.
Yes, great price. It was nice meeting up, the crabs are doing fine!
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
philemon716
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

So these crabs won't do well in a planted tank without some generous non-water space?
philemon716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah. They are terrestrial crabs. They will definitely enter the water area - but need solid substrate to hide and burrow in (or at least large areas of driftwood with nooks and crannies).
Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

How much are you selling them for? And...do they need heat? Or is room temperature okay? (73~)
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
MrBrongher
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
How much are you selling them for? And...do they need heat? Or is room temperature okay? (73~)
Yes, this.
MrBrongher is offline   Reply With Quote