How to deal with tank sabotage, the story of the destruction of my main tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

How to deal with tank sabotage, the story of the destruction of my main tank.

This 30g tank had to be torn apart due to a leak caused by some idiot trying to move the whole tank and stand by pulling the upper corners of the glass tank itself.

The only thing I asked the [censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored] I live with was to not bring painters or contractors to fix anything in my absence as we were gonna be gone for three weeks.

I said, " please wait for me to be around and make sure that the tanks are going to be safe, while I'm gone you don't need to worry about a thing because my friend that is an expert aquarist will come and take care of them. Don't mess with the tanks please"

He brought some people to do a heating audit while we were gone and they moved the tanks and stands. The smaller tanks are fine but the big one as it was way heavier showed a leak.

How do I know? Because my friend and that people were in the house the same day, the day before we arrived. My friend is 100% sure there was no leaks (it's an 8yr old tank).
The tanks upstairs show signs of disturbed substrate and other stuff he swears wasn't there when he left. This guy's business is reef tank maintenance, he knows.

He is such a jerk! I lost half my shrimp and had to take all the plants to a fish store to be temporarily housed in a tank so they survive.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'D try and make him pay for it
he didn't respect ur wishes, especially if things are so obvious
you should be compensated for your loss, a good roommate should, especially if there is any kind of contract involved

or, IM EVIL, if he declines. something of his would get messed up weeks from now

Last edited by HD Blazingwolf; 12-05-2012 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: evilness
HD Blazingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
zoo minsi
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

i feel your pain, i don't have many things that im very protective of but my tanks are a big no no for people messing with. sad part is that if your roommate is a big enough tool to disregard your origional request then he probably wont pony up any cash for damages.

as blazingwolf eluded to i also am a vengeful person but with it being a roommate not much you can do unless you want retaliation.

hope it all works out
zoo minsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

There are smarter ways to retalliate if u so decide.. msg me for options.. you wont get any satisfaction that he was aware you did it. things of this nature require a delicate touch but can be ultimately brutal if planned properly
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

You can't do anything with someone that inconsiderate. He knows how important your hobby is to you and he pulls a stunt like this?

For your ultimate peace, lose the roommate or move. This situation will never improve and some battles just are not worth the fight.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
There are smarter ways to retalliate if u so decide.. msg me for options.. you wont get any satisfaction that he was aware you did it. things of this nature require a delicate touch but can be ultimately brutal if planned properly
Can you share the details of the evil plan once complete ?
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm sorry to hear that man. The scape itself was amazing.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
Can you share the details of the evil plan once complete ?
sounds like u need ideas as well!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Blazings retalitory blitzkrieg is now open for business haha

More on note... What a Jack wagon... That wasn't a very hard request to comply with

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/96%)
Send a message via AIM to secuono Send a message via Yahoo to secuono

No non-tank owning people seem to understand that fish tanks should NEVER be moved when full. I had floor guys move my 55g and I screamed at them, they didn't understand why I was so suddenly infuriated! No matter how much I tried to explain and no one ever seems to even THINK and that water is heavy in large volumes!
Tank didn't leak, but I leaked some wonderfully colorful language and threatened to sue if it did.

If this housemate knows about tanks and you made it perfectly clear, he has no excuse at all other than being stupid. I would take him to small claims court if he refused to pay up for what he allowed to happen.

secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

If you knew this was potentially an issue, why not have a camera up? Anything of particular value, monetarily or otherwise, that is kept around roommates in general - let alone shady roommates - needs to have at least a cheapo surveillance camera pointed at it.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

Well, first of all. I believe him retarded or slightly. Seriously. Otherwise I would have to hate him.

The other big issue we have is that he leaves front and back door unlocked and we live in Oakland. Several times I came back from work at 1am and I found my wife and son sleeping with the doors unlocked, my wife now can't fall asleep until I get home, just in case this retard doest it again. Why? Because not that long ago somebody stole our bikes from the backyard.

He is one of those stupid guys that don't see reality as it is, he lives in a world of fantasy. He is a believer. So if he believes that is ok to move my tanks doesn't matter I I tell him otherwise.

And as for revenge, he is so stupid an careless that I can't think of anything that will really matter to him if broken. Anyhow, I feel that if I unleash my revenge instinct then it will do more harm to me than to him. I won't drink poison for someone else's stupidity.

But, I will speak out and tell him how I think about his intellect in a way that will largely demonstrate my point. That at least will be a stub to his ego and will make me feel even.

I can start another tank, and I don't need his friendship it's a risk.

We decided to move out, even my wife is pissed at him for not respecting our request to not fix anything while we were gone. We take this as a warning, he has left the stove on and left the house before while we were asleep, we don't want to find out what will be the next retarded action.

Note: I don't like to describe something silly as "retarded" because of offending people with mental disparity, but in this case I'm quite sure it's a pathology as one of his siblings is actually "fully" retarded.

If all this wouldve been an accident I wouldn't be so mad, but it was a disrespectful decision that killed my main tank.

I made this tank with my own hands, all of it, woodwork and glass in 2004. Never had an issue before.

You guys, I feel so sad that I don't even want to continue in the hobby. I feel like tearing all this tanks apart and move on. It took the magic and happiness away.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
astrosag
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

A camera on a fish tank. What's next? Camera on the expensive couches to hold spills accountable to people?

He wasn't suspicious of theft. If you have to put cameras up, in all honesty, you shouldn't be living there. I would make arrangements to move or work towards that.

This is unfortunate and things like this do happen. Even though its tempting, I would advise against retaliation as that can get very ugly!

Unless you're willing to escalate this to some legal level, I would bite my tongue and find a long term fix. Consider it a minor test that life has thrown your way :P

Let me add that the last tank in your image that you made is simply spectacular and I think you'd be doing a disservice to yourself and even the aquatic plant community by leaving the hobby.

None of us can ever fully control external factors. But all of us can control how we react to them. Indeed, how we do so defines us.
astrosag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

People can be real ignoramuses but you can't let that spoil the hobby for you. The wood isn't ruined, the tank could be a fun new adventure.

Everything happens for a reason, and perhaps your tank causing this divide will protect your family in some way.

I only wish you luck in your future endeavors, and with rekindling your love for the hobby.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

The other thing I want to mention is that when I showed him the tank leaking he said that was because of "humidity".

Humidity? In a freaking aquarium?