How do you dose ferts without measuring them first? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks Diana and Tom... extremely useful information. Sounds like I need to observe, experiment, learn, repeat. Looking forward to delving into the planted tank world.

Last question -- in your experience can LFSs test micro-nutrients if you bring in a sample? Or are they likely to have only the "standard" tests (pH, PO4, NO3, etc.)?
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Most only have the standards unless they are one of the few and far between great stores!
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Mostly they (stores) do not have those tests, but call and ask.

If you want to get into testing those parameters, get the kits yourself. There are enough materials in them for you to run quite a few tests, and by the time the test kit expires you will have all the testing you want to bother with.

Testing is interesting to about one test kit worth of reagent.
Then quit.
I got quite a good handle on how my tanks were running that way, then switched over to the much maligned test strips. They test most of the things I wanted to monitor, quicker, cheaper than the test tube/reagent tests. And I know how to interpret them for my water. So when that one pad turns some odd color that is not on the response sheet, I know what it means.

And the plants are still there, live 'test strips' always ready to be 'read'.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (227/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
How much is that amount? I'll provide some data: I've yet to have seen a single verified case with the standard trace mixes for shrimps(Amano, Fires, CRS high grades etc), which covers most of the commonly kept species and fish are even more tolerant. Shrimp and fish die for MANY reasons in non planted tanks that are not dosed ferts at all.

I've gone pretty high within reasonably errors most might make for K+ (100ppm), PO4(10ppm), NO3 160ppm, Fe 6 ppm(used Plantex CMS+B and SeaChem's) this yields about 0.08 ppm Copper. But, few need to dose 10 X even a super rich trace dose. So typical ranges might be 0.008ppm or less.
So a few parts per Billion.

Not enough to cause any issue for shrimps. Certainly not for fish or plants.
This is some hard data generated over about 15 or so years since around 1996 on many aquariums, and by various folks who make common dosing errors and mistakes. Fish and shrimp were fine.

Wet's dosing calculator:

http://rota.la/en/

And dosing and accumulation vs time and water changes:

http://rota.la/ei/
Nice info on dosing calc.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote