Seachem purigen and fertz
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
Bongox3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Seachem purigen and fertz

Sorry if this has been already addressed... I've recently added purigen to my filters and was amazed by the clarity of the water (within hours!!!) .... My concern is, I was similarly amazed by my uv sterilizer - which I've found can be detrimental to plants uptake of certain nutrients...so I only use it as needed....

So my question is, with a planted tank (co2 in use, lighting on the high side, and all things going well, crossed fingers) - is this stuff ok? Should there be some increase in additives of certain nutrients to offset it's use?

Oh, and not to drag on....how about phosban and/or guard? With plants needing some amount of phosphate - are the use of these a poor choice too.....(like almost everyone else, I hate hate hate algae)...
Bongox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Darkblade48

I would not be too worried about Purigen affecting your fertilizers; there are many users on these forums that use it with great success.

As for phosphate removers, I would not use them. As you are already aware, plants require phosphates, so removing them would be counterproductive.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
crice8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

I use purgien in my planted tank with high lighting/co2/ferts. and I have crystal clear water. I highly suggest it!
crice8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
syzygy9
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
My concern is, I was similarly amazed by my uv sterilizer - which I've found can be detrimental to plants uptake of certain nutrients...so I only use it as needed....
I've never heard of either Purigen or UV affecting plant uptake of nutrients. I used both when I was running my high-tech tank. I'm only using Purigen at the moment, but that is only because my UV bulb died. Many planted tank owners here use one or the other or both.
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Purigen does weird stuff with some forms of iron from what I have read. edit -- Looks like that was debunked after a few more posts. Purigen only behaves badly with amines.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
Bongox3
Algae Grower

Great to hear....I really like purigen, great product...

Not as investited in the anti-phosate supplement...so discontinuing its use...

Thank you !!!!
Bongox3 is offline   Reply With Quote