New fish named after Obama - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I think a lot of us would be satisfied if we could just see about 10,000 cool photos of them in their habitat.
You actually have a lot of the genus in KY. I use to catch them in Creeks in Lexington growing up. Plenty of them south in Daniel Boone National forest, Mammoth cave area, west over towards Pike county. Across the border in Hoosier national forest, there are many species also. Use to be common when I was a kid. They did well till the warmer summers in aquariums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #17
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

I've actually been catching (and releasing) darters like this (not as colorful) since the 80s in Eastern Kentucky.

There are quite a few of them that live throughout the Louisville area, too. A bunch of them near the Falls of the Ohio on the Indiana side.

I really need to start paying more attention to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
You actually have a lot of the genus in KY. I use to catch them in Creeks in Lexington growing up. Plenty of them south in Daniel Boone National forest, Mammoth cave area, west over towards Pike county. Across the border in Hoosier national forest, there are many species also. Use to be common when I was a kid. They did well till the warmer summers in aquariums.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
The TVA has done a great deal to destroy the darter populations and species in the region unfortunately. Lots of Freshwater invert species also come from that region. The small stream habits need protection in the south and Eastern USA in a huge way. The entire group is an awesome fish for cool water aquariums and plants do great at the 60-70F ranges also.
this is all true

however we are seeing pretty good protection agencies local come out and do the good work, lots of control for catcing fish here lately.. more specifically sizing. lots of work has been put into breeding studies and population control. not to mention carp hunting which is destroying habitats leftand right
Old 12-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookymonster760 View Post
Any idea on the status of this fish is it protected
It has its own group of Secret Service Pike...

Tommy

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
LS6 Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote