Trying to figure out how much light I need, with PAR.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
FlyingSheep
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Trying to figure out how much light I need, with PAR.

I've got a 75 gallon tank that needs a 48" long light hood. I made a post in the wrong forum (I thought that general was all they had, my fault for failing to use the eyes that God gave me): http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...54#post2102354

But after they directed me to here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368

I believe I'm even more lost than before. My hood will be placed about ~20" away from the substrate. The post says that high light is 50 PAR or more, which is what I'm shooting for.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/s...iousLights.jpg

Going by this graph, does this mean I'm going to want a Odyssea 2 bulb T5HO for my hood? If it's yes, wooohooo I don't need to buy a new hood. But I will need to buy some reflective paint or something similar as my hood is painted white.

Thank you for any aid you may give me. Also, please note that I'm very ignorant over this matter. Any acronyms or 'causal planted tank' talk I may not pick up on. In other words, do type... slowly.
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Reflectors are important no matter what bulb. Use A&H reflectors - many consider them the best. I have used them for years and have been very happy in a med light tank.

I used to have a high light tank- it was to much work. However I have about 200 gallons of water or 4 tanks.
I can grow the very same plants. I use frets and CO 2 as well

Hth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
FlyingSheep
Algae Grower

Yeah, as I was just thinking about it, I assume that if I want some high powered lights I'll need to get a new hood regardless. The one I have is cheap junk for the only purpose of making the tank visible.

Ah darn, expensive hobby. >.< Anyway, those lights seem masively cheaper than everything else I've been looking for. Will those work well with two of the bulbs listed above? The Odyssea T5HO x2?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
FlyingSheep
Algae Grower

Shameless bump. =(
Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
FlyingSheep
Algae Grower

Well, I just called Catalina Aquarium today, and I've got myself a monstrous 48" four bulb hood for 250$ coming in. That's 100$ more than I wanted, but ohh well. 10 years from now when my plants turn into man eating monstrosities, I'll be happy. Now to buy the CO2 sysem for 350$! 600 dept, here I come.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
terran2k
Algae Grower

you're probably going to end up with a ton of algae
terran2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
Higher Thinking
So good my algae pearls!

PTrader: (23/100%)

I use the four bulb odyssey fixture over my 75, but I raise it about 5-6 inches off the surface. Idk what par ready hits the bottom, but probably not high light. I can and do grow anything I put in there. Check the sticky in the lighting section as that graph has some info on the odyssey fixture. Also, last I checked, a seller on E Bay had those fixtures for around 115 shipped.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
Higher Thinking
So good my algae pearls!

PTrader: (23/100%)

Never mind, I see where you reference the chart. I think you will want to just check the chart again as the three bulb Catalina fixture has 50 mm of par at 25" so you will likely want to raise that light off the tank significantly.