Catching fish in a heavily planted tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Catching fish in a heavily planted tank.

I am looking put a small school of pristella tetras into my friends larger tank that has a bigger school of the same species.

I really need ideas of how to catch them. The soda liter trick works with my rummynose tetras and my rams, but the pristellas won't even get close. The tank is so heavily planted with a huge piece of driftwood, so no amount of nets will do the job. Who has some ideas?

Thanks in advance
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Maybe try to net them during a water change, when the water is low and they don't have much room to run.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Leave the net in the tank and crack a 6 pack or throw a line in lol
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

net them when you are feeding
Old 12-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Stealth fish catching in the dark? I wanted to catch my one lone bloodfin tetra - goodluck. When it was lights out I noticed it was hanging around the top of the tank, but with some ambient light in the house from the kitchen it could still see well enough to see the net. Once the house was dark, I used the edge of a beam from a flashlight, just enough to see it moving. Caught it first try!!!
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post
Maybe try to net them during a water change, when the water is low and they don't have much room to run.
That is what I have had to do, although you still might have to remove some plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom View Post
Stealth fish catching in the dark? I wanted to catch my one lone bloodfin tetra - goodluck. When it was lights out I noticed it was hanging around the top of the tank, but with some ambient light in the house from the kitchen it could still see well enough to see the net. Once the house was dark, I used the edge of a beam from a flashlight, just enough to see it moving. Caught it first try!!!
That has worked for me also, but only for a fish or two. Usually after the first one, they seem to wake up.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Unfortuentley I can not manuever a net even when the water is low. Too many plants haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom View Post
Ya i need to try this again. But my pristellas hang out more towards the bottom so it makes it kind of hard still
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
net them when you are feeding
Tried, they wont even get close to that net lol even when theres food
Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

A home made net system may help. I use a lot of the netting made for wedding veils, etc. It is extremely cheap at about a dollar for a yard long X72 wide. I then attach it to a frame of whatever fits and use it either to divide the tank in half or to simply let them run into the netting and fold it around them. I also find my fish will try to hide when chased. So I put a very large net in and let them get used to it being there. Then scare them out of all but the net.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/96%)

I always end up rescaping my planted tanks...
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

what i find works is cut a top off of a 2 liter soda bottle or something similar, then put the top of the bottle (or Neck) that you cut off in reverse, so the opening is inside the bottle, i usually put some food in there if i dont want to chase them in but you can do that. Depending on how large the fish are you can cut the opening at the top of the bottle larger. This is exactly what i did to catch a school of Neons as well as panda Garras. The bottle creates a sort of trap that the fish cant seem to figure a way out of, plus it doesnt cause much stress.

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Public Alias
Algae Grower

I love the bottle trap idea.

Last time I had to catch a neon in my planted tank it sucked! I ended up pulling out decorations one by one as I got more and more frustrated. It took almost 2 hours to catch one specific neon.

I learned that a bigger net is a good thing. Also, instead of chasing fish, I like to slowly move the net under them, then swiftly bring it up catch them in the process.

Planted Rich I've always wanted to try making something like your large net. I'll have to try that sometime. With a big enough net the fish would have no where to "run"
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
zergling
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

You can also try leaving the net in the tank for a couple of days to let the fish "get used to it". Then net the fish during feeding time.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Open up part of the tank, perhaps a corner. Yes, remove a few plants. Put a few floating plants, clippings or whatever. Not rooted. In that corner.

Use Rich's nets (make several) and divide then subdivide the tank, smaller and smaller.
Make sure the fish to be caught are in the same section where you removed the plants. The drifting plants you put there will keep the fish from knowing it is a trap. The plants hide them and they think they are safe. Eventually you will have them in that area, and Rich's net keeps them from getting back to the rest of the tank.
Remove the drifting plants. Net the fish.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

Rich's net is a great idea, but it sucks because my tank is dirted and pulling up plants can make a mess.

I might try to leave the net in for a day, but can a fish get stuck in it at night?

And @adjaquariums I said in my OP that the 2 liter bottle was only effective for rummynose and rams. Not sure why though
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

good luck...

i can't barely get my two dwarf rainbow out of my 55....they would ran across teh tank and hide under the driftwood....and dam the plants always getting in teh way

after an hour of chasing and stress, finally got them..lol
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote