Genetics of PFR/Sakura/Ultimate Red etc...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
DaTrueDave
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Genetics of PFR/Sakura/Ultimate Red etc...

I'm hoping someone here can ease my mind. I know that with neos, that if you mix different colors together, that the resulting offspring will likely revert to a brownish color that they often have in the wild. Most people consider this unattractive compared to the bright reds, yellows, oranges and blues that have been carefully bred into our hobby shrimps.

My question is about the bright red ones. Is it possible that some of the red breeding lines out there are actually genetically different and that mixing them will result in wild neo coloration instead of strengthening the red?

I ask because I have a thriving colony (several hundred in a 55 gal) of RCS with mediocre color, and I just added a handful of PFR that I won in a contest from Southern Oak Aquatics. The new ones are absolutely gorgeous. I figured they would improve and strengthen the colors in my colony over time, especially if I add more PFRs or Sakuras as time goes on and I can afford them. Obviously, this wouldn't work if these red breeding lines are genetically different though.

So, are they the same, or close enough to the same that my plan will work? Or could crossing a PFR with someone else's Sakura result in a wild brown type?
DaTrueDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

It is always possible the color could mutate at a different allele, however I have not heard of that happening yet in in cherries. You should be fine.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

Over time it will get better, but then it wont, as shrimp can have multiple fathers per clutch. So you could get some improving and some deproving. Best to cull and sell off the uglies or uses as feeders
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

there's two views to take...

these new reds will improve the quality of color of your existing inbred colony...

-or-

putting these new reds will dilute the potential by adding to the colony of inbred cherries.

eitherway, if breeding were of interest you might be better off to focus breeding with these and keeping them separate from your existing colony.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
DaTrueDave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
It is always possible the color could mutate at a different allele, however I have not heard of that happening yet in in cherries. You should be fine.
Awesome. That's what I wanted to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
Over time it will get better, but then it wont, as shrimp can have multiple fathers per clutch. So you could get some improving and some deproving. Best to cull and sell off the uglies or uses as feeders
Nah, I'm not interested in culling, just slowly improving the colony's color by adding some nicer shrimp every now and then.

Just wanted to make sure it was OK to get a dozen from SOAK last month, a dozen from Speedie next month, and a dozen from Ms. Jinkzd a few months later without working against myself by doing this.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

You kind of are working against yourself if they do breed with the plain rcs you have. I would pull your best and mix them with the ones you are getting.
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I agree with the consensus of this thread.

Putting higher quality shrimp in can either improve the quality of your batch or over time degrade the quality of your additions, in the end it is just the amount of genes averaging out, if you have more low quality shrimp, than the average will drop down, and vice versa.

That is the whole reason shrimp keepers practice selective breeding, or culling. If you remove the lower quality traits from the gene pool, you enhance the likelihood of your offspring having more desirable traits.

You really are working against yourself by not culling the worst looking ones. I want to note here that culling is not killing, culling is merely removing the genes from the breeding pool. I keep all my culls in a separate tank, because there is still a miniscule chance that a cull's offspring can have a nice coloration, in which that shrimp will be allowed back into the main population.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
DaTrueDave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
I agree with the consensus of this thread.

Putting higher quality shrimp in can either improve the quality of your batch or over time degrade the quality of your additions, in the end it is just the amount of genes averaging out, if you have more low quality shrimp, than the average will drop down, and vice versa.
That's what I'm trying to do, increase the average quality of my shrimp colony. I have only one tank and have zero interest in anything other than a healthy, colorful aquarium.

My question was solely about the different types of bright red neos, and whether or not the were actually genetically different. My thinking is that every time I add a handful of PFR to my colony, that it will increase the average color of the colony a tiny bit. I know that's what I want to do. I just wanted to make sure if that if I add a dozen "Sakura" or "Ultimate Red" from a different shrimp monger, that I'm still moving in the same direction as when I added PFR, and not actually working against myself.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
DaTrueDave
Algae Grower

OK, so you guys have convinced me that I need to set up a PFR/Sakura/UltimateRed aquarium, and once that's established, I can take the culls from that colony to improve the color of the colony in my big aquarium.

Now I need advice on how to convince the wife that I need a new aquarium!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Always nice to say sorry after the deed is already done.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
HiepSTA
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTrueDave View Post
OK, so you guys have convinced me that I need to set up a PFR/Sakura/UltimateRed aquarium, and once that's established, I can take the culls from that colony to improve the color of the colony in my big aquarium.

Now I need advice on how to convince the wife that I need a new aquarium!
sometimes its easier/better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission =P
Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
morgan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have Separated the sakura's and the fire reds into separate tanks. Also put a few fire red males in with the sakura's.
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
DaTrueDave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
I have Separated the sakura's and the fire reds into separate tanks. Also put a few fire red males in with the sakura's.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread or web page that outlines the different types of red neos? I thought PFR, Sakura, and Ultimate Red were all different names for the same type of coloration. I didn't realize they were significantly different.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #14
morgan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTrueDave View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread or web page that outlines the different types of red neos? I thought PFR, Sakura, and Ultimate Red were all different names for the same type of coloration. I didn't realize they were significantly different.
http://www.planetinverts.com/FireRedShrimp.html
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 04:39 AM   #15
DaTrueDave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
And where do you think Speedie's Supreme Reds fall in that spectrum?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.