Most Profitable Shrimp to Breed? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #16
Frooty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
You can keep CRS and RCS together but you might want to look into a buffering substrate like Fluval Shrimp Stratum or Azoo Plant Bed Grower. Both of those will buffer to about 6.8 (FSS 6.8-7) and both species can breed in that pH. You need to test the water first before you figure out which shrimp to go with. But if you have hard water, neos might be the only thing that will work if you're going to use tap and something inert like sand or flourite. And even then you have to watch pH and not let it get too crazy high (like over 8.4) So, learn about the different shrimps and different parameters FIRST, then figure out which way to go. A good site for just some basic info is

www.shrimpkeeping.com

Another is

www.planetinverts.com

And don't forget to check the stickies at the top of the Shrimp Forum.
I probably will wait a bit until I know more about the hobby before I get into breeding. I will probably setup a small breeding tank in late February and attempt and see where it goes from there. Thanks for all the info!
Frooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Very few people make money at what many consider a hobby. The problem is simply too much supply: many of us have a few extra shrimp we can sell for whatever they can fetch for us to defray a few costs. That person is not taking a business-like approach and does not require a profitable price.

The person who develops a popular new line or can generate large volume at very low cost (the "Walmart" of shrimp breeders) might make a living, but for the rest of us it had better be fun.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

the most profitable shrimp to breed for sale are ones you can acquire by wholesale.

But this answer sort of applies to most things sold for profit. thought it might be worth pointing out the obvious...
Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #19
EKLiu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

I suggest buying half a dozen blue Blue Bolts. If you can get the offspring to juvie size, you will get back your "investment" in the first batch you sell.
EKLiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, shrimp, shrimp breeding