Aquariponics!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Soil
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aquariponics!

Ok, so I'm not quite sure if aquariponics is actually a real word, but anywho.

I posted a small 30 liter tank a while ago, named "The brown tank". It was nice but the tank was beyond second hand when I got it and full of scratches and silicone. It has gone to tank heaven (storage).

I built this tank instead, inspired by aquaponics. In the bottom back there is a small pump pushing water through a hose to the upper level. It then rains down onto the lower box, gets filtered by sand and then back into the front of the tank.

Its about 8g, or 30 liters with the base measuring 43 cm wide,38 deep and 20cm high.

It has 5 zebra fish and a axelotl in atm, and Im looking for something very peaceful with a large bioload to add to the mix. Need alot of poo to substain the plants.

As for waterplants I have:

Hygrophila siamensis
Java fern
Echinodorus bleheri

Normal plants:

Nephrolepis exaltata
Chlorophytum comosum
Spathiphyllum wallisii
Mondo grass "kyoto dwarf"
"Plant to the far right I forgot the name of"

Soil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/96%)
Send a message via AIM to secuono Send a message via Yahoo to secuono

Love it!

Though, is the plant behind the light supposed to be so pale? If it's the same plant I had, which started out dang near white, then with time and good lighting it greened up.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
GOJIRADOR
Algae Grower

Awesome! I really wanted to set up my own aquaponic system and I actually got around to buying some of the materials but never set it up. Have you tried growing edible plants with it? As for bioload, plecos are notorious for their poop lol but that tank looks kind of small..
GOJIRADOR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
ZLogic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Aren't crabs known to be good poopers? How would they work in that setup? It's an awesome concept!
ZLogic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Very cool.....very cool.

Crabs would work with that setup by climbing out that tank and wandering down the hallway

I've never really looked into poopy fish (other than goldfish), but perhaps the ones always munching on something and grow to reasonable sizes make sense? In that sense, I'd go for Cories. Won't outgrow that tank and they're always munching on food.
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #6
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

That is very cool! I wish you had written a tank journal on it, I bet a lot of us would like to see how it's made!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
Soil
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
Love it!

Though, is the plant behind the light supposed to be so pale? If it's the same plant I had, which started out dang near white, then with time and good lighting it greened up.
I honestly don't even know what that plant is. Found it at the grocerie store.. there were a few dark ones and a few pale so I figured it was two sorts of the same plant. Anyone knows the name of it?

I thought cories too, but I think its too cool for them. Since the water is aerated it drops below 20C even if the room is warmer.. its quite tricky to fit anything in. Any cool water cories out there? I could put a fancy goldfish in there but it would probably outgrow it pretty fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
That is very cool! I wish you had written a tank journal on it, I bet a lot of us would like to see how it's made!

I do have pics from the build. These are from the later stages, the early I dont know where they are.. Its built from left over marine plywood, coated with spray on Plasti dip (liquid rubber) and then siliconed. Turned out not even the silicone u see in the pics was enough so I had to scrape of the Plasti dip from the parts I wanted to silicone. Quite a hassle.

The upper level has overflow holes in the front, and the bigger box has the top of a soda bottle as an outflow, so I can seal it with a screw on cap and take it off / put in a window etc.

And some pics of the little poser:

Soil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
Azarakiah
Planted Member

yep its not aquariponics, its aquaponics fyi
Azarakiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Nice build and setup!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
Azarakiah
Planted Member

i would def look for some plants with a lil more color to them to help brea up the green a lil bit though
Azarakiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #11
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Soil welcome !

That is a nice system you have built.

You might enjoy this thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ht=planted+HOB

Many of the members on that thread have created similar tanks on a smaller scale.

Your system and the the members on the Planted HOB thread are growing plants in an aquaponic method.

These two links are to a more traditional Aquaponic method. The 1st is true to the original meaning of Aquaponics. In this system the vegitables are food crop and the Fish eventually will also be food.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...light=nalu%27s

In the 2nd , my tank, the vegitables will be eaten, but not the fish.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194158
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #12
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
I honestly don't even know what that plant is. Found it at the grocerie store.. there were a few dark ones and a few pale so I figured it was two sorts of the same plant. Anyone knows the name of it?
Looks like it might be a potato plant. . .

Makes sense coming from a grocery store. Although they normally don't grow that high and narrow.
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
jarvitron
Algae Grower

This is beyond awesome, I've been poking around at a aquariponic (this is a good differentiation term for me - aquaponics in which the water level in the display tank does not cycle/change) rack for a while and this is definitely a cool small build.
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
Love it!

I don't know what the name of the plant is, but (if it's what I think it is) it's a fairly common houseplant, and really damned durable. A lot of times you can just grow them in a vase of water (which makes them good candidates for aquaponics), and I've had one that had the root ball dry out completely, and the leaves all turn brown and dry, and about a week later after a bit of watering it sprouted new growth.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

The plant is Syngonium.
There are several species with slightly different leaf shapes, and many varieties with different leaf colors.
One of them is almost pure white, with a few green speckles. Another is slightly greener, not really pure white, but close.
Another is sort of tinted red, not a lot, just a wash of red over the green.
Several are a blend of green background and various patterns of white, cream or yellow speckling and banding.

I have one that has more distinctly angled leaves. Like larger arrowhead shape, large back parts, then it got bent sideways like wings. The leaves are about a foot across. It is growing out of the top of my 72 gallon tank, and has reached the floor and is growing back up again. Really big! It started form a 4" potted house plant, just about the same as yours. Different species, though. Mine is pure green, deeper cut lobes.

I also have a tank with a set up sort of like that. The water runs the full length, though, not back to front. I have Heartleaf Philodendron in it now. At different times I have grown a really nice Prayer Plant (Purple veining, not the plain Rabbit Tracks species), and several other plants.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.