Aquaclear 110 flow issue
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Aquaman55g
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aquaclear 110 flow issue

Decided to remove my Aquaclear 70 from 55 gallon planted tank and just use my Aquaclear 110. Removed and cleaned the AC 110 while media soaked in aquarium water in bucket. Thoroughly cleaned impeller shaft area, impeller and intake tube then reassembled impeller and impeller cover (snapped in place). I then partially filled the filter and plugged it in and the water was moving forcefully so I finished reassembly, added media basket, large sponge, small media bag with Purigen and 2 bags of bio-max rings.
When I turned the filter on the flow was not as strong and it was previously and the water in the outflow was partially directed down under the filter. I have a small AC sponge on my intake tube as a pre-filter but it is pretty new and clean not clogged. Why would this happen??
Thanks to members for ideas and advice.
Aquaman55g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

too much restriction. If the water was moving well without the media basket, but with the pre-filter sponge, then the issue lies with how much you have wedged in the basket. Water flow through purigen slows down fairly considerably in my experience: that's why they are good for canisters or sumps where water is forced through it.

Some options:
1. Remove the purigen and see if flow is restored
2. remove sponge pre-filter
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Aquaman55g
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default AC 110 Flow restricted

Thanks ngrubich you were correct. My AC sponge on my intake as a pre-filter looked new and clean but was clogged on the inside. You saved me further inquiry and possible unnecessary repair bill. Just wanted to include that I also added a small piece of egg crate type plastic as well as the blue plastic output piece from a large Aqueon power filter to help breakup and agitate the AC 110 output now that it is back to its powerful flow rate. This blue output piece from the Aqueon filter supposedly breaks up the output to quiet the flow, adds oxygen and is an additional area for beneficial bacteria to grow. It seems to be doing the trick with my tank water at normal level the output is at a good rate, it is quiet and is doing a great job of distributing my pressurized CO2. Thanks again for the assistance .fish:

Last edited by Aquaman55g; 12-04-2012 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Added additional information related to issue.
Aquaman55g is offline   Reply With Quote