Weird tanks, Need Ideas...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Ulupica
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Weird tanks, Need Ideas...

I have obtained 2 tanks that are designed to stack one atop the other. The tanks are approximately 50" long, and the front is 17" tall at the rim while the back is at 22". The ends are 26" tall, I suppose to allow height for lighting when stacked. The back is drilled with a 1.25" hole about 15" above the bottom. Up to the hole it should hold about 65 gallons or so.

I'm trying to decide what to do with them. The plastic edging designed to keep them centered while stacking is falling apart so I don't really want to try stacking them. They should be fine rimless once I remove the plastic edging.

The sides and back are painted blue but it comes off with a razor blade and some elbow grease.

I have an idea that they could be used for nice paludariums. Maybe a carved foam background, painted up nice, with room for plants. I could carve out a space for an internal filter for the water portion? I'm sure i could seal the hole in the back if necessary with a bulkhead or just silicone a glass patch over it, but I probably wouldn't use water to that depth anyway so it wouldn't need to be all that watertight.I could even run the tubing for a canister filter through the holes and into spaces in the foam.

Any ideas? I haven't made up my mind on anything yet so any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Ulupica; 12-03-2012 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: Fumble-thumbs while typing :)
Ulupica is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

They look like they came from a pet store.

If they are glass you can patch the hole by siliconing some glass over it.
Using it for a canister is a better idea. Large tanks like that need larger filters than most HOB style filters can really manage. And I am not sure how well a HOB would do on the back of the tank, once you remove some of the trim. Might be better not to stress that part.

I could see a riparium set up with the different heights of the sides, back and front. Maybe as full of water as they will hold, but use tall driftwood and emersed plants, a taller background that sticks up above the tank... things that will make use of the taller sides.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeah, as soon as I saw the tank, I thought 'Paludarium.'
but, i tend to think that with almost anything...

Pretty much what Diana said. you could line the sides with something like corkbark, treefern fibre, or some sort of DIY background, and grow epiphytes on it.

Let us know what you end up doing with it when you figure things out.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote