J1Time's 1st scape: 60-P adventure - UPDATE FLOODED 6/18/13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
J1Time
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

J1Time's 1st scape: 60-P adventure - UPDATE FLOODED 6/18/13

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted much on here before (though I've been lurking quite a long time) so I thought I'd start a journal to keep a log of my 1st real aquascape build.

Before I get into it though, I should probably say that I started a 10 gal planted tank a few years ago, but since I didn't really know what I was getting into, the tank turned into a major algae fiasco (surprise surprise).

This time I'm going to try to do it better (and hopefully some kind souls here might let me know if I'm headed for disaster)

I'm going to do a dry start for this tank and try to head off any preventable algae problems.

I've got most of the gear I think I'll need, as well as my hardscape pieces. After about a zillion layout arrangements, I've settled on this hardscape for the time being:

I'm going to keep it a pretty open layout since my last tank had a flow problem, so the plants will mostly be carpeting type - I guess it will be iwagumi-inspired, but definitely not strictly that.

I've got the manzanita soaking in a rubbermaid bin until I'm ready to fill, and my filter's running on the bin too to get the cycle up and running.

I picked up my 1st plants yesterday and did the planting last night.

HC and Micro-sword narrow are in... although I realized I planted some of the MS where my branches are supposed to go, so I'll have to move that around a bit.

I've got some utricularia graminifolia coming in the next few days to fill in some of the empty space, but I'll probably have more space than plant material to fill it. If anyone has any ideas for what to put around the base of the wood, I'm open to ideas. I like the way downoi looks, so I might try to squeeze some in if I can find anyone with some to spare.

I'll need to decide on a good moss to attach to the wood when I fill the tank. Thinking maybe some fissidens or flame moss... any suggestions?

I'm also thinking of swapping in some taller plants in the back, maybe some type of val, or cyperus helferi, so more of the MS might get moved forward too.

I'll post another update when the UG goes in, hopefully in the next couple of days.

For now, though, I'll leave you with the "Fish in the tank point-of-view" shot

Last edited by J1Time; 06-18-2013 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: update
J1Time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Great start and I like that it's going to be iwagumi "inspired" with a twist. Subbed!

I've used flame moss on manzanita to great effect. I have about a golf ball I'm about to sell... PM if you're interested.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
alkatraz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default J1Time's 1st scape: 60-P adventure

Looking good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
alkatraz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
manzpants92
Planted Member

Great layout, big fan. Good choice on the microsword too. Looking forward to seeing things progress for you.

I did the same thing with my 15 long...i laid it out like in iwagumi but then put tall stem plants behind the rocks and some microswords as well
Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Nice! That main rock has some nice character to it. What type is it?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
J1Time
Algae Grower

Thanks guys, yeah, I'm excited it's all coming together... I've been pretty deliberate about the process so far, so it's taken a long time for me to get to this point.

Green_Flash, I'm not sure what kind of rock it is, I picked it up from a bonsai nursery near me. It was about the same cost per lb of ADA's seiryu, but I didn't have to pay for shipping!

Last edited by J1Time; 03-13-2013 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: forgot info
Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
J1Time
Algae Grower

In other news, the UG came in the mail today, and I got it planted right away:

I ended up with a bit more than I thought I would - It really filled in most of the space I had left.

I am a bit worried though that it will end up too stripe-y since I've got the HC, UG, and MS so distinctly separated... will watch it grow in and see if I can break it up with some accent plants maybe?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

The carpet plants will mix, you'll probably need to hold back the MS a bit... It looks really good, I like the "open" feeling. What livestock are you planning?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
J1Time
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
The carpet plants will mix, you'll probably need to hold back the MS a bit... It looks really good, I like the "open" feeling. What livestock are you planning?
Thanks, I don't have a definite plan for livestock yet... hopefully something colorful, active, and interesting that won't jump out? I may just go with cardinals - pretty standard I know, but the scape isn't anything groundbreaking either... I'm not ready to go pushing any envelopes yet.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
J1Time
Algae Grower

Ok. Week Two Update:

Light fixture is a 24" Finnex Ray 2.
Photoperiod is 12Hrs.
The top of the tank is covered by a glass plate that I take off for about 15 min each day to air it out.

So far I think I'm doing this right?

Some of the HC has started to turn brown and melt though...

it's possible I may have kept it too wet near the lowest part of the substrate, take a look at this picture and let me know what you think.

Hopefully the HC is just transitioning from submersed to emersed growth? UG and MS don't seem to be doing much for now - at least they're not turning brown anyway.

Thoughts?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #11
J1Time
Algae Grower

Default Update: Mold

Week 4 update:

MOLD!!!

So I've been out of town a bunch in the last two weeks and haven't been able to get as much dry air into the tank as I would have liked.

Today I discovered some kind of fungus on my UG and substrate.

It's creeping around a few places in the tank, but it doesn't appear to be a full blown infestation... yet.

I'm not really sure what to do here; All the advice about I've found has been about treating mold in terraria, but I figure it's probably close enough at this point since that's basically the situation until I fill the tank. Here are the suggestions that I've turned up so far:
  • Leave the cover off and get air circulating in the tank.
  • In addition to step 1, aerate the soil.
  • Spray the affected areas with high-concentration hydrogen peroxide (20-30%).
  • Pull the affected plants.
  • Some other chemical treatment, e.g. fungicide.

Should I try any or all of these suggestions?

Are they likely to have adverse effects to the plants/rest of the tank?

Should I try draining out any water sitting under the substrate?

If there's anyone out there who's had success with getting rid of mold in a dry start tank, I'd love to hear about it.

Sorry, it's a bit hard to see in the photos, it kind of got washed out under the bright light.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #12
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

The H2O2 will work.

Don't worry too much, it looks like the UG is growing a lot and when you fill the tank the fungus/mold should go away. How's the HC going?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
RichieE46
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default J1Time's 1st scape: 60-P adventure

I had that happen on my first attempt on dsm with HC and my HC all died.

But then again I noticed the fungal growth and did nothing (at the time I didn't know what was happening... I just saw white strands)

If the h2o2 doesn't work, I'd fill the tank to get rid of the fungus.
RichieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #14
J1Time
Algae Grower

Thanks,
I'll pick up some H2O2 tomorrow and try spraying the affected areas, hopefully that will do the trick. How soon should I expect to see a change?

Besides the fungus, the UG is growing and thickening really well, I'm pretty sure it was grown emersed when I got it, so no transition die-off there.

The HC is slowly bouncing back after its transition from submersed to emersed. Most of it melted, but a bit of each plug seems to have survived and is sending up little baby stems. I noticed that the plugs that were kept dryer had less melt/transition happening, but I'm not sure if that's just coincidental or if there is some real science behind that.

The MS doesn't seem to have undergone any transition whatsoever, just perked up/spread/thickened.

Ideally, I'd like everything to have thickened and filled in to a nice carpet before I fill the tank. We'll see if it gets there.

Here are some shots of the whole tank:

Old 04-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

looking good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.