How to Proceed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
aufhebung

PTrader: (0/0%)

How to Proceed?

Hi everyone,

I recently started my first planted tank--a 6 gallon Fluval Edge 2 with eco-complete substrate, a few large seiryu-type rocks with flame moss superglued to them, a clump of java fern, and a petite anubia (no livestock). The tank has been sitting as-is for several weeks as I have been hoping it would more or less cycle itself before I stock it with some microrasboras or CPDs and shrimp. I have a bunch of new moss coming in the mail tomorrow which I plan to attach to mesh and stick on the substrate floor.

Anyhow, I finally tested the water today and found the following levels:

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 2.0 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
PH: 8.0

My question is . . . how should I proceed? Should I leave it alone for another week or two, or should I do some water changes? Should I do something else? I'm wondering when I'll get to add some fish and/or shrimp, but trying to be patient.

Thanks for your help!
aufhebung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
Rich Guano
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Patience young grasshopper. Your tank will finish its cycle soon enough. Let it take its course. The longer the tank runs and the slower you make changes to it, the healthier the tank will be.

Please provide test results of your source water to compare to these results. This will determine if the tank actually is cycling rather than finding these trace amounts naturally in your water.

On the otherhand, waiting weeks for a tank to cycle is horrible. When I am setting up a new tank its because I have fish in a bag ready for a home, and there is no time to wait. I always keep extra filters and media running on existing tanks for just such occasions.
Rich Guano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.