Hanging your Finnex Fugeray - easy and cheap method
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Hanging your Finnex Fugeray - easy and cheap method

I got my Finnex Fugeray earlier this week. I really like it and can't wait to see how my plants do with it. I am using it over a 10g tank with no CO2 - so I wanted to be able to adjust the height over the tank as needed to control algae and get maximal growth. So I was a little worried about placing it directly on the tank with the included legs.

I chose to hang the fixture - and it turned out to be extremely easy - and very cheap. Depending on how fancy of brackets you want to use - and whether or not you want to get a piece of shelving for the bracket - you could do it for as little as $8.

What you need:

Screw eyes - I have attached a pic of the style that I got from Home Depot that fit perfectly. 12 gauge wire (2 mm diameter) fits the channel where the stock legs go perfectly. I used screw eyes - but I also picked up a pack of screw hooks to see how those worked. For my setup, the screw eyes were better. But if you position the shelf brackets wider than the width of the light, the screw hooks would be nice.

S-hooks x 6
Small chain or thin gauge picture frame hanging wire
Shelving brackets
+/- shelf

Instructions:

1) Thread the screw eyes into the adjustable feet channel. They will slightly score the plastic and metal - but not cause any serious damage - so the stock legs can be replaced if needed.

2) Hang brackets to wall. There are a variety of styles at the big box stores. They ranged from as cheap as $2.50 each to $15 each. I went middle of the road at $7.50 each I paid for mine

3) Attach S-hooks to screw eyes and chain and attach chain to shelf brackets with an S-hook. Instead of chain, you can use picture frame wire. My fixture wasn't heavy enough to make the picture frame wire taut when hanging - but that was the effect that I wanted.

And you are done.

I was going to put a black piece of shelving over the brackets - but the store was out of the precut piece. I could have made my own - but for $6 - I'll just wait until they get it.

Hope this helps someone.
rozdaboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice job!
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I did the same with dual CFL reptile fixture over my tank and made my own L-bracket from scrap wood, painted it.

Then I used more scrap wood, painted it to make a hood to cover around the tank to keep the light in.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Rozdaboff,

How far are the lights from the substrate? I'm looking at a Fugeray vs. Ray II at just 12" above substrate for a 5g (can't hang them with my set up) and am wondering which is just enough for medium light, no CO2 and where i can get away with simple, weekly ferts.
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Right now I have the light about 6" above the tank. So 15" or so above the substrate. I was in the same position as you - and I was told to go with the Fugeray if no CO2 due to algae concerns.

I am not a plant - but this light is quite bright to me. So if it works for my plants - then I am really happy with it.
rozdaboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
STS_1OO
Planted Member

Thanks rozdaboff, appreciate the feedback.

That makes two votes for Fugeray to the Ray II's 0 lol ...and the Fugeray is cheaper!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Smitty06
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

The fugeray is cheaper because it has less light output meaning less leds. People are saying the fugeray because you would have to have CO2 at the height you would have the ray II.
Smitty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
STS_1OO
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty06 View Post
The fugeray is cheaper because it has less light output meaning less leds. People are saying the fugeray because you would have to have CO2 at the height you would have the ray II.
Yes that was my point Smitty

The 16" Fugeray at 12" height outputs 30 PAR. I think that's enough for most plants without the need for CO2 and a heavy fert regime.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

This is a great DIY, rozdaboff.

And to be honest, it looks like it cost more than it did. Makes me want to try a stainless steel version on one of my tanks.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote