custom glass overflow removal - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #16
nikom8992
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
wow, you're braver then I would have been in that situation. I was just thinking of score the inside with a glass cutter, or maybe drilling some holes near the edge, and then breaking it, and leaving the back/side still siliconed to the tank.

Good job though, that's pretty impressive.

I think the main reason the wire/line method didn't work is because it had too much area to cover, in addition to a bend.
all i had was the chisel and hammer or string. and i believe it was a mix of the bend and the angling i couldnt get a saw-like tension on the silicone and it got about 1mm and hour and that was not going to work. my heart dropped everytime i heard the cracking of the glass. but its totally gone and cleaned up now. tomorrow i put in a new moss wall and refill all fish look good still and hopefully becuase of the water drop my alfbnp start to breed if not oh well there all alive and well i cant ask for more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic6nic.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	58253  

nikom8992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #17
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Very, very nice job on removing the overflow!!! You are much braver than me using a chisel and hammer.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #18
jone
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

guitar or piano string.....just a thought but you got it taken care of already..
jone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #19
nikom8992
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Very, very nice job on removing the overflow!!! You are much braver than me using a chisel and hammer.
thank you i was so scared every swing i dont think ill every be that lucky again. the point chisel helped so it broke where i wanted it. the back was the worse but when i got it all the way to the silicone i was able to just get a razor behind it and slice it out. when my tank clears up ill take a pic of it and post it on here
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #20
nikom8992
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jone View Post
guitar or piano string.....just a thought but you got it taken care of already..
i tried the guitar string and it wasnt working. it was like trying to cut tree by pulling down the curve of the glass and the gap behind was to thin to get anything that could acually cut i think the wire works better on the corners of an aquarium then on this particular project.

Tags
overflow, removal, silicone