54 Gallon Low Light Low Tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
kclone
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

54 Gallon Low Light Low Tech

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-13 07.24.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	51025

Above is the picture of my new tank. I feel like an artist with a blank pallet. I have no idea on how it will turn out.

The light on the tank is 2 6500k 48in T8 bulbs. Standard reflector. I think that will give me a low light tank.

I'm going to use 55 lbs of eco complete for the substrate. Never used that before but hear good things.

For a filter I plan to use an EHEIM 2215 from one of my other tanks. I'm hoping since it is already in use that the tank will cycle fast.

Haven't ordered a heater yet, but considering the Jager 150W.

For plants, I'm thinking anubas and crypts. I haven't had any of these types of plants before so suggestions are appreciated. I will need tall ones for the back and sides, and short ones in the front.

I have a melon sword and a java sword from another tank I am thinking on moving to this tank as well.

For fish, I am thinking schools of tetras and smaller fish.
kclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice. I think you should be able to grow the low light plants with 2 T-8's. If you get a large plant mass all at once, you can sometimes not even have a noticeable cycle. Adding the cycled filter is a good idea, but a am a bit concerned about the size of it. I think it is about 1/4 of what you need for an aquarium that big, especially if it is well stocked.
29 gallon, Fluval 306. Aquatop PF25-UV Power Filter, 1x39 watt T5HO 7" above tank. P.F. Sand, Pressurized CO2, 5 Glowlight Tetra's, 3 Halequin Rasborah's, 3 neons, 2 Oto's, 5 Cherry Shrimp, 4 Amano Shrimp.
livingword26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
kclone
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingword26 View Post
Very nice. I think you should be able to grow the low light plants with 2 T-8's. If you get a large plant mass all at once, you can sometimes not even have a noticeable cycle. Adding the cycled filter is a good idea, but a am a bit concerned about the size of it. I think it is about 1/4 of what you need for an aquarium that big, especially if it is well stocked.
I currently have the 2215 on my 29 gallon and it really seems to overpower that tank, so I have to turn it down. I'm hoping I can run it full on this tank.

Also, any recommendation on where to place a heater in this tank? Middle? Along the bottom?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've seen people Place them pretty much everywhere. I always just put mine in a corner, so I have easy access to it. It is pretty much hidden by my driftwood.
29 gallon, Fluval 306. Aquatop PF25-UV Power Filter, 1x39 watt T5HO 7" above tank. P.F. Sand, Pressurized CO2, 5 Glowlight Tetra's, 3 Halequin Rasborah's, 3 neons, 2 Oto's, 5 Cherry Shrimp, 4 Amano Shrimp.
livingword26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
kclone
Algae Grower

My substrate finally arrived! I ordered it from the Doctors. I'm trying CaribSea Eco-Complete black. I've got Fluorite red in my other tank and wanted to try something different.

Name:  eco complete.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  38.8 KB

The package lists that it now contains Floraspore Root Enhancement Symbionts! I'm not sure what that is, but I'm pretty sure I saw an episode of Star Trek where everyone got infected with something similar sounding and it didn't end well. I'm hoping my plants will be ok.

Name:  full tank 2.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  29.3 KB

In my 29 gallon, I had a melon sword that overgrew the tank. I took it out and planted it in a pot outside. All the leaves died immediately, but within 2 days, it grew a new leaf. Now that I have a bigger tank, I've moved it back underwater. I hope I haven't traumatized this plant too much.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
kclone
Algae Grower

Originally I was planning on anubas and crypts, but one a member on this message board was selling a bunch of plants as a package, so I bought them all. Ships Saturday, so sometime next week they'll go in the tank. (Thank you Aquaticfan!) They should do well in my low light tank.

Bacopa australis
Hygrophila corymbosa
Hygrophila Difformis
hygrophila angustifolia
Ludwigia repens
Caralina Purple Cabomba
Nymphaea zenkeri aka Tiger lotus
Echinodorus Angustifolia 'Vesuvius'
Echinodorus tenellus aka Dwarf chain sword.

I'm now considering getting a 48in T5 light (single bulb) to replace the 2 bulb All Glass T8 light that came with the tank. (Still trying to keep this tank low-mid light.) I think it would boost the light a little more. Tomorrow I'm going to a pet shop 30 miles away that might have some hardscape for the tank. Thinking large rocks. Maybe slate to build a terrace cave for cory cats? I used my filter from my 29g tank so I don't think cycling will take that long. Will check water parameters soon.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
kclone
Algae Grower

Water:

pH 7.6
Ammonia .5ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

Perhaps I didn't speed up the cycle with the old filter after all.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
toffee
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclone View Post
Water:

pH 7.6
Ammonia .5ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

Perhaps I didn't speed up the cycle with the old filter after all.
Update?
toffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
kclone
Algae Grower

Default Plants and plants!

I've finally got the tank established. I lucked out and got a Wendii Crypt Red that apparently loves my lighting and gravel. It has tripled in size since I bought it. The biggest problem is I don't have enough tall plants. I got a Melon Sword in a RAOK from starfire12. This should help with the tall plants.

See the tall sword behind the driftwood.

Name:	2013-03-11 20.50.30.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	103482
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
kclone
Algae Grower

There was a film on top of the water in my tank. I think the Eheim 2215 wasn't powerful enough to move the water in my tank and break the film up. So, I added a Hydor Koralia Circulation and Wave Pump. I installed it at the top on the right side of the tank, and moved the spray bar to the left, above the filter intake. The Hydor does move water! Fish love it. Plants are uncertain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-03-12 17.18.21.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	103914  

Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
kclone
Algae Grower

Moved the heater to the middle. Tried to hide it behind the Wendtii. Perhaps I should have it horizontal on the bottom?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
kclone
Algae Grower

Default New Light

I forgot to mention that I replaced the original light with a Coralife Freshwater T5NO light. Was a little afraid that it wouldn't be bright enough, but it is just fine. Crypts, Vals, Moss, Java Ferns, and Anubas all growing well. I suspect my new sword will do well too. I have a second tank that is a mid-light lank, and I like the different types of plants that grow in each one. Very little algae in this tank. I added some liquid nitrogen, but got algae, so I stopped.