Choosing A Canister
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Choosing A Canister

I've never owned or used a canister before. I'm only experienced with HOB filters. I was thinking about purchasing a canister for my 20L (see signature for a link to pictures)

I want to get a canister for several different reasons. The main reason being that I will be able to better distribute the co2 injected in this tank with a canister. How much of a difference will a canister actually make?

Another point of concern of mine is balance. I just recently balanced my 20L and I don't want to disrupt the tank to much. I suppose I can transit filtration by keeping the HOB filter while addeding the canister and then remove the HzOB filter a month later...

What kind of canisters should I look into? What other concern am I mAybe not considering?

Any suggestion/recommendation are greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

Get more than you think you'll need. You can always throttle the thing down but you can never turn it up any higher. You never know how much you'll end up running in-line.

If you don't plan on putting anything in-line, I'd probably go for an Eheim 2215. (stuff in-line 2217)
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

well what price range are u looking at? for best circulation its best to get a larger can an just use a spray bar to reduce the current while maintaining the same turnover rate. i got a 306 on a 20L shrimp tank an i like it i have it turned down as i havent put a spray bar on it but i could have it full blast if i did without having a mess.

for brand thats all up to u, my pref in order is 1 fluval great product great cs+1 #2 sunsun cheap works great 3# ehime great product bad cs(ill refuse to buy a good product with bad cs just how i feel about it), havent owned a rena never needed to as all my filters still work aquaclear=fluval and im sure u know about there hob's ;p.

so after YOU choose the brand and gph i try to say around 10x turn over rate so i never have debris build up but thats up to u and how you want your filter set up. if you go high gph and dont diffuse the water correctly you will have a whirlpool that will not be good, but its easy to slow a filter down vs increasing gph.

as for seeding the filter you dont need both on all you would have to do is put all the media into the new filter to seed that then after a month remove it an add what you couldnt fit with that in there, its pretty simple! good luck.

ps heres a lil trick for u if u want to make the intake more shrimp safe and not use a sponge, go to hobbylobby pick up plastic screen mesh cut to height of intake and the same outside lenght of the intake, pull off the intake roll it up slid it in works well
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I'd like to purchase a canister with everything I need for $100 or less. I was thinking about the Eheim brand. I noticed there popular amount TPT people.

Eheim 2211($75) or the 2213($90)

When you say 10x, do you mean the gph should be 10x the tank size?
So, for a 20L I want something 200gph or more. Is that correct?

If so, the 2 listed above would be recommended. I might have to research some other brands. Otherwise I'm going to check out craigslist.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
rrastro
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

just cause no one mentioned it yet, sunsun 302.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrastro View Post
just cause no one mentioned it yet, sunsun 302.
Is that one worth mentioning? Tell me more about it...
Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

if your going with one of the 221_ series id lean more to what oldp suggested 2215 or 2217 that with a spray bar can be dialed in very nicely, if you think the current is to much for your flora or fauna you can drill the spraybar 1 size larger for the output holes or just slow the return side of the hose useing that shutoff. its more uncommon to hear man i got to big of a filter than vis versa. theres good reason were telling u ;p most have been there
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #8
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

There is a deal on Craigslist for mr. Aqua 12 long Eheim canister, another canister, coralife aqua life t5 22", and extras! For $100 bucks. Seems like a great deal...
Old 12-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
rrastro
Planted Member

the sunsun 302 is affordable and many people have good experiences with this model over other larger models or those with the UV bulb included. do a search here on TPT. there are a number of threads debating the relative qualities of various canisters. i have a 302 on my 20XT tank and it has plenty of flow for my needs plus greatly improved water quality over HOB alone. I left the original HOB I had on it as a redundancy and because it doesn't bother me in any way aesthetically. anyway, original point is the sunsun is almost half the price of other high-end canisters. You could buy 2 and keep the second as a backup or just save the money and enjoy it in other ways.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrastro View Post
the sunsun 302 is affordable and many people have good experiences with this model over other larger models or those with the UV bulb included. do a search here on TPT. there are a number of threads debating the relative qualities of various canisters. i have a 302 on my 20XT tank and it has plenty of flow for my needs plus greatly improved water quality over HOB alone. I left the original HOB I had on it as a redundancy and because it doesn't bother me in any way aesthetically. anyway, original point is the sunsun is almost half the price of other high-end canisters. You could buy 2 and keep the second as a backup or just save the money and enjoy it in other ways.
Thanks for elaborating on this model. As I am on a budget, this may be just the ticket! I'll look into it.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I picked up a Eheim 2213 Canister off Craigslist today. I brought it home and tested it. Everything seems to work property. The flow was good and steady for 20 minutes of run time during testing. After running some mild soap and water through the unit and rinsing thoroughly, there was still some bio film in the tubing. I used a pipe cleaner, fishing line, weights, and cloth to clean the biofilm out.

All-In-All, I got the Ehieim 2213 Canister for $30 used. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me. It was missing the Canister Stand (Base) and a few suction cups for the spray bar. I wonder where I can purchase these items?

Is there anything that I might not be considering about his canister?
Old 12-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
MChambers
Planted Member

You got a very good deal and a 2213 is fine for a 20l. I've got 2 2213s myself, both on 20 gallon tanks. Suction cups can be tough to find for the Eheim intakes and bars. If there's a decent LFS near you, I'd try that.
MChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Thanks ill see what I can find. How important is the base? This thing isn't going to go running away from me is it? lol

Also, how do you position your co2 and outflow/spray bar to disperse the co2 effectively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
You got a very good deal and a 2213 is fine for a 20l. I've got 2 2213s myself, both on 20 gallon tanks. Suction cups can be tough to find for the Eheim intakes and bars. If there's a decent LFS near you, I'd try that.

Last edited by tylergvolk; 12-23-2012 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: Added content
Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
All-In-All, I got the Ehieim 2213 Canister for $30 used. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me. It was missing the Canister Stand (Base) and a few suction cups for the spray bar. I wonder where I can purchase these items?
Quote:
Thanks ill see what I can find. How important is the base? This thing isn't going to go running away from me is it? lol
They come with bases now?

You don't need to have one, don't worry about it.

Quote:
Also, how do you position your co2 and outflow/spray bar to disperse the co2 effectively?
I use a glass diffuser with ceramic disc. I place it underneath the spray bar and let the outflow push the mist around.

The spray bar should be placed high enough so that it ripples the surface of the water, but not so much that excessive surface agitation occurs (this will off gas CO2 faster).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Alright, sounds easy enough. My current setup with HOB filters allows to much surface agitation and I really need to dank the co2.

With this Eheim setup I will have more control. I can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
They come with bases now?

You don't need to have one, don't worry about it.

I use a glass diffuser with ceramic disc. I place it underneath the spray bar and let the outflow push the mist around.

The spray bar should be placed high enough so that it ripples the surface of the water, but not so much that excessive surface agitation occurs (this will off gas CO2 faster).