Neowind's Nano Path Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Neowind712
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Neowind's Nano Path Tank

I have been lurking on these forums for a very long time now dreaming of having a planted tank. Today I am attempting to make that dream a reality. I know absolutely nothing about planted tanks and that is why I am here to ask for help. I have built the base of the aquarium, but not sure where to go now. I know I would like to do shrimp for sure. And I would love to do Dwarf Baby Tears. So any advise would be greatly appreciated. Here is my setup:

Aqueon Evolve 8 Gallon
AquaTek CO2 Mini Kit
9W LED Lighting (Upgrading to Finnex Ray 2)
Pagona Rock
Fluval Stratum Shrimp Substrate
Driftwood Tree
Sand
Purigen
Filter Floss

So here is what I have so far:

Neowind712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
got me a guppy
Algae Grower

Wow it looks cool already. From what I have seen though, a lot of people put some kind of divider like acrylic pieces between the gravel and the sand to keep them from mixing too much, or just to keep the carpet plants from moving onto the sand. Of course I am assuming you want to keep the sand path clear of foliage. I think once the baby tears take off the hill will look great. I am very jealous of your setup already. I am curious if you will turn your wood into a tree structure with some moss or something or just leave it bare? Either way will look great. Kudos to you.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Rony11
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yr aquascape looks very promising.
Even I think u should use some kind of divider to avoid the gravel and sand from mixing.
If u are planning to tie moss to that tree u should do it in the very beginning.
What plants are u plannng to use in yr scape?
Waiting anxiously to see yr tank progress.
Rony11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Neowind712
Algae Grower

Thanks for the awesome information. So I found out today that I did not put deep enough substrate on the left side of the tank. Plants would not hold when putting them in. Anything I can do to add substrate while water is in? I did plant Dwarf Hair Grass all along right side slope. I decided against the Baby Tears since this is my first planted tank. If all goes well I will build another one or change out what I have later. My water is very cloudy at the moment so the pictures did not turn out very good so I will wait till it clears. I also got some free Java Moss for the tree, but not much at all. I hope to pick more up next week.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
got me a guppy
Algae Grower

Honestly, as far as adding more substrate, you could just pour it in. The worst thing that could happen is it will cloud the water for a little while depending on your filtration. I have found it easier to just get a small cup or dish and pour it in that then slowly lower the cup into the water allowing it to get saturated. Then just get it as close to the bottom as you can and pour out the substrate. Kinda just depends on the substrate. I got some the other day for my 10g tank. I poured it right in from the bag and there was no cloudy water or anything...clean as a whistle. Most people recommend you rinse it off first before adding it to get rid of excess debris...FYI.

If your hair grass was anything like mine (purchased in one of those bags where it is growing out of the jelly stuff) chances are it didn't have good roots, if any at all. I even have deep substrate and had a hard time getting the little pieces to stay down. I just kept replanting for a couple days every time I had one float up. Eventually they stick. This is my second try with hair grass. Now that I have good lighting and CO2 it should yield me a carpet eventually.

I am excited to see your progress. Again kudos to you for such a nice layout.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
Neowind712
Algae Grower

Made a 2 hour drive today to the closest place that carries planted tank stuff and bought some Java Moss and Dwarf Baby Tears. I hooked up my CO2 Injection today also and started running it. I am having a problem though when it turns off then back on it does not seem to build up enough pressure to run. I have to turn the needle valve up then it starts then readjust it. Do you think something is wrong with my regulator? Anyway here is the picture. I need to plant the Baby Tears, but I am going to let them sit for a few days in the tank before I do.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #7
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)

Very cool

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
Neowind712
Algae Grower

So I got my new Finnex Ray 2 light in today and I think I either ordered the wrong one or don't like it. It is very very blue. 10k + Actinic. What do you guys think?

Old 11-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #9
got me a guppy
Algae Grower

Wow that does look very blue
Old 11-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
Neowind712
Algae Grower

Returned light and ordered a wave point 16w 6500k. Hopefully it will be better.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

You ordered the wrong finnex ray 2 I believe. You got the 10000k+ actinic. The finnex ray 2 dual 7000k was the one you wanted
mistuhmarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #12
Neowind712
Algae Grower

I looked everywhere for a 12 inch 7k version but was unable to locate one. Do they make them?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #13
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowind712 View Post
I looked everywhere for a 12 inch 7k version but was unable to locate one. Do they make them?
Not that I know of, but you can always hang an 18 inch above your tank using a hanging kit. If not, look into getting a fugeray. They do make 12 inch finnex fugerays. :P
mistuhmarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #14
Neowind712
Algae Grower

The wave-point should be in tomorrow. It is 16x1w Led's so it should get more penetration of light with the 1 watt LED's.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
mache62
Algae Grower

bump to see what you thought of the light.....I was looking at one for my 25g cube.
mache62 is online now   Reply With Quote