PAR Reduction do to 1/4" glass?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

PAR Reduction do to 1/4" glass?

Anybody have a thought on reduction in PAR due to 1/4" of standard glass? I have a sheet of glass on top of my 60-P to reduce evaporation. I'm debating between two light fixtures and a guess at how much PAR I'll lose to the glass would be helpful.

Thanks!
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
Anybody have a thought on reduction in PAR due to 1/4" of standard glass? I have a sheet of glass on top of my 60-P to reduce evaporation. I'm debating between two light fixtures and a guess at how much PAR I'll lose to the glass would be helpful.

Thanks!
Hi jmhart,

I responded to a similar question on another forum about this subject and the results I got from a PAR meter. The results were interesting. It was a standard 30 gallon (36" length) with an 2X36 watt (6700K) AH Supply kit over a Aqueon Versa-Top (3/16" clear glass). With new bulbs and no glass top the PAR = 110; with cleaned Versa-Top in place PAR = 101; with "dirty"* Versa-Top in place PAR = 96. All readings were taken with new bulbs @ substrate level about 13 inches below the fixture. If the glass is clear, I don't believe the difference in thickness will impact the results substantially.

*dirty = lots of dried water spots on top; some "etching"; condensation; dust

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 11-30-2012 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: corrected glass thickness
Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi jmhart,

I responded to a similar question on another forum about this subject and the results I got from a PAR meter. The results were interesting. It was a standard 30 gallon (36" length) with an 2X36 watt (6700K) AH Supply kit over a Aqueon Versa-Top (3/8" clear glass). With new bulbs and no glass top the PAR = 110; with cleaned Versa-Top in place PAR = 101; with "dirty"* Versa-Top in place PAR = 96. All readings were taken with new bulbs @ substrate level about 13 inches below the fixture. If the glass is clear, I don't believe the difference in thickness will impact the results substantially.

Very helpful. Thank you. Great contribution to the community!

I really appreciate the variables you accounted for. Normal state for me would likely be dirty glass.
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
Very helpful. Thank you. Great contribution to the community!

I really appreciate the variables you accounted for. Normal state for me would likely be dirty glass.
lol, how do you think I got the 'dirty' reading??

Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Build My LED
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi Seattle. Your results are exactly in line with our experience. When light passes through glass, you are going to have two losses from Fresnel reflections. We typically use a 4% Fresnel loss estimate per side of glass (8% total for clean glass), which is exactly what you calculated. Nice :-)

Nick
Build My LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi jmhart,

I responded to a similar question on another forum about this subject and the results I got from a PAR meter. The results were interesting. It was a standard 30 gallon (36" length) with an 2X36 watt (6700K) AH Supply kit over a Aqueon Versa-Top (3/8" clear glass). With new bulbs and no glass top the PAR = 110; with cleaned Versa-Top in place PAR = 101; with "dirty"* Versa-Top in place PAR = 96. All readings were taken with new bulbs @ substrate level about 13 inches below the fixture. If the glass is clear, I don't believe the difference in thickness will impact the results substantially.

Your lid is 3/8"?
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Your lid is 3/8"?
Hi xmas_one,

Correction, thank you xmas-one....my 36" Versa-Top is 3/16" thick; my 20" Versa-Top is 1/4" thick. Hadn't had my coffee this morning when I measured.