Green Algae and what will eat it
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
AMcCaleb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Green Algae and what will eat it

I have a green algae that is forming on the glass of my aquarium. It comes in spots and my otocinclus cats don't seem to be doing much with it. I have a 30 gallon planted tank and this algae started showing up after I upgraded my lights to a 2 24w t5 setup.

I have a video of the tank on YouTube. You can't really see the algae very well in the video. It's more on the bottom and it's not really noticeable until you get close then you see all these green dots on the glass and on the tubing as well.

Is there any kind of algae eater/pleco that does well with this type of algae? I tried finding Siamese Algae eaters and got two from a LFS near me for my other tank but it turned out only one of them was a genuine SAE. Would a bristelnose pleco eat this stuff?

Also, this type of algae is very difficult to scrape off compared to the other kinds I've run across. It takes some real scrubbing on the glass to get it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxyUZ...ature=g-crec-u
AMcCaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well.. nerite snails.. but they leave eggs everywhere which can be equally difficult to remove..
Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

GSA loves bright tanks. Are you using CO2 and fertilizers? With that much light you need them.

I found out that adding more than the suggested amount of phosphate either makes the GSA grow soft enough that the otos and ramshorn snails can eat it or discourages it.

Rosy barbs love it, when I popped it off the glass with a razor blade they scrambled to get it. Their mouths are the wrong shape to be able to eat it off surfaces though. Credit cards can pop it off too and they are safer to use.

Otos and snails like the taste of it but it is pretty tough stuff to eat. One time I saw a tiny ramshorn return again and again to a small amazon sword leaf covered with GSA and after a few days the poor leave hadn't any algae on it but it was severely damaged by the rasping of the snail.

It also dies if exposed to air and my tank got quite the water line after water changes.